Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Some time ago I made a posting in reply to someone saying that they were hoping that new shocks would help with the harsh side to side motion when going thru a drive way or over a speed bump at an angle. I said that I thought the main problem was the roll stiffness of the Alpine rear suspension. I was wrong, what I didn't take into account was the action of the ride height controls adding to the roll effect.

Quote from JRP on 3/29/08 "Actually the dual control valves on the rear contribute to exaggerating the side to side roll when crossing a curb or small bump at an angle. The valves may be isolated, but the impact on your coach is not isolated from those two valves moving in opposite directions at the same time. Because there is no coordinated control of these two independent valves, they end up fighting with each other as one side of the coach is low and the other is high. They each react at the same time in opposite directions, creating an over reaction to the initial out of level condition. The SS MCU slows down this over reaction of the opposing valaves and brings the coach to a stable position faster."

I installed a set of these before we left on this trip. The difference between stock and after adding these is like between night and day. So many changes I have done have only made small differences, the improvement with these is great. If you don't like emptying your cabinets onto the floor when miss-judging your speed going out or in a driveway, install a set of these.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,
You have sold me on the Super Steer MCU. How many did you install (2,3,4)? What are the line sizes? Do they materially affect air dumping?

Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

I installed four, 3/8" units. I think that some of the earlier coaches use different size tubes front and rear. You can check the tube sizes with a open end wrench. They are easy to install. They need to be installed between the ride height valve and the air bag. My rear are installed rite by the air bags and it does effect the air dump speed, though not that bad. The front, due to a tight tube run between the fuel tank and frame rail, is installed between the ride height valve and the air dump valve. This allows the front to dump faster than the rear. I think that this may be helpful when in a slopped parking space for the night at camp Walmart.

I forgot to mention that I got them from Precision Frame & Alignment. They had the best price and they gave excellent service.

Precision Frame
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #4

Dale,

Thanks for doing all the leg work. I will install a set this winter in Texas.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #5

I had Redlands RV install a set along with Koni shocks back in May and the improvement is enormous!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #6

Rick,

Was it Redlands RV or Redlands Truck Service that installed the MCUs?
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #7

Old- Redlands Truck Service. Great place to do business. Good work, very clean and orderly work areas, coach ready when promised!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #8

OLD,
I second what Rick stated above. RTS did our Koni shocks, Motion control and Safety Steer. Excellent place to do business and they stand behind their work.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #9

Rick, Mike & Nancy,

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it might be RTS. When we're down there this winter, I think I'll have RTS install the MCUs and give me an updated alignment and precision weighing, since we have the Konis. I don't like the hard ride and sway that comes when going slowly over a diagonal bump with the rear axles.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:09 AM   #10

Old- When are you coming down for the winter?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #11

Rick,

We're probably coming down to Palm Springs between January 25 and February 25. We can't spend our usual 4 months this winter (normally Dec 1 to April 1) because we're building a new home in Tacoma and it's due to be finished just before Christmas. The final work on the new house, the move to that house from the old house (which we haven't sold), and getting things established just means this is a one month event for us this year instead of 4 months. We are subleasing our lot at ORPS for December, early January, and March to friends so we can keep the lot fully rented, and plan to spend the full 4 months there next year.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Coleman:
I had Redlands RV install a set along with Koni shocks back in May and the improvement is enormous!
Rick;

Do you know what size your 2005 took?

Harold

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #13

I don't know, but I'm sure RTS would tell you if you give them a call. I did the whole deal like Mike- shocks, MCU's, and safety steer. Not cheap, but I sure like the improvement to an already great coach. Those MCUs make a dramatic difference when coming out of a driveway on the diagonal...counters are no longer a launching pad!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
iRV2 Sponsor

Hey Rick!

Thanks for the reccommendation! We have Motion Control, KONI Shocks, and Safety Plus all in stock ready for installation.

I'm sorry I won't be with the So Cal group in Aguanga but I would like to make sure we get some raffle items to the group.

Thanks,

Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote