Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1

Super Steer Products for an Alpine Coach

Has any one of you Alpine owner had any experience with any of the Super Steer products, specifically the Motion Control Modules, the Saftey Plus system and their Koni Shocks? Also how often should the air bags be replaced?

John Strauss
2005 40ft FTDS
John Strauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have the motion control units and they are a great help with those humps going into supermarket parking lots. I also noticed less body lean going around corners.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
I have the motion control units and they are a great help with those humps going into supermarket parking lots. I also noticed less body lean going around corners.

+1 on the motion control units. Helps a lot on low speed bumps to avoid back and forth rocking.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #4

I have driven Alpine Coaches for 12 years and one of the reasons we buy them is for the handling. I also have 40 footer, which is heavier and I did install the Koni shocks. They did improve the handling. I don't know the cost of the Motion system, but if it were me, I would try the Koni shocks first.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #5

I have the Koni FSD shocks and motion control units on the rear bags only. I don't think they are necessary on the front as there are separate height control valves for each front wheel. I have only had one air bag changed due to the rubber splitting but they are not that expensive so you may want to change them if they start cracking. I have never seen any time or distance recommendations for changing them.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #6

John (or was it Mary?)- how many miles and how many years on the rig when your air bag ruptured? Did it happen while parked or under way?

I have talked to a couple of folks who have changed their own. Sounds like fun.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

I had it changed about a year ago, so the bag was 12 years old. 60,000 miles. The split was on the top of the bag and couldn't be seen when it was compressed. I started looking because I was losing air when parked and found the split when I raised the front with the jacks and the bag was stretched. Now I check them all regularly. I think the bag was around $200 and 1 hour labor charge.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #8

John,

We installed the Safe-T-Plus, the motion control units and the Koni shocks and have had them on for over two years and 25,000 miles. They all helped as others have said. If I were looking at which gave us the most bang for the buck, I would say I would go first with the Safe-T-Plus, because of it's reduction in driver fatigue in long days of driving, along with the extra safety margin of a blown tire, then the Koni shocks, and last the motion control units. I have not found as much improvement from the motion control units as others have reported, but there is some. I installed them on all four corners.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
OldForester, is the Safe-T-Plus product you installed the 42-230 "Safe T Plus Steering Control Class A motorhome IFS hiem joints"? Did you install it yourself of does it need to be professionally installed?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #10

I'm not exactly sure if that's the part number we installed on the Safe T Plus. It was very heavy duty, for Class A motorhomes, and it was installed by Redlands Truck Service in Redlands, California, for us two years ago (2009), in February. You can call them to see if Safe T Plus has changed part numbers over the years. Their number is (909) 792-0314. They had to play with it and drive the motorhome several short test drives to make sure the mounts on the Safe T Plus did not interfere with the tie rod in turns. Now that I had them install it, I would install it myself only if I was confident I could mount it exactly where it should be, and change it if it wasn't installed correctly.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote