Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Surge Guard Transfer Switch

Just determined from manufacturer's literature that switch is defective. Says either coils or drivers are bad whatever they are and to replace unit. May be covered by original warranty or extended but if not does anyone have a recommendation for replacement? Thanks in advance.

Tom Wilkinson
SC RV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by SC RV'er View Post
Just determined from manufacturer's literature that switch is defective. Says either coils or drivers are bad whatever they are and to replace unit. May be covered by original warranty or extended but if not does anyone have a recommendation for replacement? Thanks in advance.
I have a 50A built in Surge Guard and it works well enough I expect although there are better units out there.

If you are an SC RV'er please consider coming to our rally at Ocean Lakes. Dale Sumner from Mobile RV Medic is a vendor and an RVIA Master Mechanic when it comes to all thing electrical. He will have Progressive Industries' Electrical Management System ("EMS") with Smart Surge while he's with us at the Rally.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
If its a replacement under extended warranty, they usually only allow for swap of same equip, i.e. a new SurgeGuard, which should be simple enough (the case has markings for in/out... and the install instructions are pretty good). If you have no coverage, the EMS has one feature the SG doesn't (but I can't remember what now, maybe its Hz on the LCD readout?), but is otherwise the same protection.

Before ordering any parts, you may want to have the wiring checked out. I opened mine after others reported termination issues, and found insulation pinched in the contactor terminals and wire strip lengths that were less than well done (in fact I found that wire strip length is importantly critical to get full contact w/out leaving excess uninsulated wire hanging out). Others had enough insulation trapped in terminations that the unit had worked for a while then started to give trouble after some # of heat/cool cycles. This is only a good job for somebody comfortable w/working on electrical junque as the work will directly impact your comfortable enjoyment of the coach and possibly safety.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

Before considering a replacement, other than the exact original SurgeGuard, you should take into account whether the replacement unit will fit into the exact same location as the original, since the electrical input and output cables are very heavy gauge with very, very little slack and are very difficult to re-route. I recommend opening the existing SurgeGuard unit and taking pictures to use in analyzing whether any replacement will physically fit with the existing cables. DO NOT do this unless you are well schooled in working around dangerous voltages!
Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Spoke with Camping World service dept. on Saturday to see if they would do warranty work. Expecting call back Monday from warranty administrator. Would much rather take elsewhere but choices limited here in Charleston. At least they warranty their work. The Surge Guard is easily reached through wet bay and mounted just above Aqua Hot but as mentioned not a job for the untrained. One other place I have had good results with to call Monday called ProTech. Will let you know the results and thanks for the invite to Myrtle Beach Rally. We started out at that campground many many years ago with our first camper. Will try to make it.
Tom Wilkinson
SC RV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Tom - If you have an extended warranty - let Camping World do it - you will make getting reimbursed easier that way.

Our SurgeGuard went out on a trip and I had to special order it from Camping World to be shipped to where I was and I put it in - but then I had to jump thru hoops to get our Extended Warranty to pay for it (which they did)..

The Swans
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote