Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #1

SurgeGuard moans

Well, not really moaning, but definitely a light buzzing sound almost all the time. It's located just bellow the galley so I can hear it sometime. The other day it seem to be louder for a while, then back to light buzzing. Does anyone know if this is standard for the SG (50amp unit ).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
Well, not really moaning, but definitely a light buzzing sound almost all the time. It's located just bellow the galley so I can hear it sometime. The other day it seem to be louder for a while, then back to light buzzing. Does anyone know if this is standard for the SG (50amp unit ).
Sometimes we have a buzzing, sometimes loud when we first plug in. Sometimes we don't hear it at all. Maybe it's the character of the beast.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #3

2005?...do you have the combined SG protector/transfer switch or do you have a separate "LYGHT" transfer switch up stream[screwed to basement ceiling(coach floor)]. The std LYGHT x-fer switch used by WRV employs DC-voltage contactors--thus the buzzing. Check out the forum thread on x-fer switches and replacement options--LYGHT offers an AC alternative.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dshogman,
The answer depends on the noise. This is from the Surge Guard FAQs.

The unit “hums” when operating, is this dangerous?
"Typically this is a normal electrical phenomenon caused when the contactor coil “vibrates”. Check to see if other symptoms are present (i.e. signs of overheating or erratic power). Try removing and restoring power to the unit several times. The supplier of the contactor indicates this condition often will subside with continued operation. If the condition persists or other symptoms are observed, contact the manufacturer for instructions by calling 1-800-780-4324 x 311."

or
What do I do when the unit "chatters" when power up is attempted?
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPERATE. Consult the troubleshooting guide and/or call TRC technical support at (800) 780-4324 x 311.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Old Scout - as my SG wasn't installed till I bought the unit used in 2007, I would guess that I have the stand alone transfer switch.
KaryKD - thanks for the clue to the FAQs. I normally look for those but, in this case, didn't even think about it.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,

Did you mean to say AC contactors cause buzz? AC contactors are known to cause buzzing. This usually happens as they get older, is is caused by the 60 cycle reversal of the polarity in the coil. Many times manufacturers change to DC contactors after having too many complaints of buzzing or use them in their higher end units.

I am not sure which units have AC or DC contactors. The buzzing contactor should be able to be replaced and cure the problem for quite a while. In my years of doing electrical repairs, I have replaced many due to buzzing. Changing to DC contactors would require more work than it would be worth. The other option is to just replace the unit with one that has DC contactors.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

My bad--the AC contactors tend to buzz. Recently switched to the DC version after the AC model stopped working. So far so good with the new DC contactors--no buzz.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #8

Dave- you may have the combo unit; its an easy swap. OEM xfer was probably on ceiling of basement, right behind or behind & to the side of the water tank. You can take the #s off & check SG's website to verify. Unit should be mounted w/face plate vertical per SG's instructions IIRC, so reading face plate should be simple.