Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:26 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Surround Sound amp location

Hi everyone! We have owned our 2004 WRV for 3 years. I have never had the pleasure of listening to the sound system while watching dvd's. I understand the radio is part of the system as the surround works with the radio but switch the switch to video and no sound. I'm in the process of removing the outdated VHS and DVD players that were original equipment and have installed a blue ray player. I have removed the factory installed video cabinet that is above the drivers side of the TV, when I reinstall everything I would like the surround to work. SOOOOO does anyone know the location of the DHS mobile theatre system amplifier that connects to the stock radio???? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Ed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #2

Ed, I have a 2003 38FDDS and mine is mounted on the right side of the TV or passenger side. But it is mounted on the back wall there. I don't know what changes where made from 2003 to 2004. Somebody will be on here shortly that has a 2004. I think you can go to the library and go to brochures and see where it is there. In the tech center some of things say where they are located.
Larry Pate
2003 38FDDS Alpine

Old 03-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Rather than mess with the OEM 12v surround sound system [DHS], think I would look for a new amp with another integrated function like DVD, Blue Ray, IPOD, HDMI, etc. Be kind of a shame to upgrade you audio / visual equip and then crank them back thru your 12v amp. May need to reconnect your dash radio via RCA cables or something to the new amp.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Ed, if you go to the Quick Tip & Mods sticky above you will see what we did on our 2005. I removed the "Surround Sound" system and replaced it with a Samsung Sound Bar, besides giving us great sound from the TV, we can use it while driving with our iPhone. Look at the pictures, you might get some ideas.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Ed,
I just did what you are doing. Take out the VHS and old VCR install a blue ray. hook up the blue ray to the tv's HDMI #1 or 2 which ever isn't being used. WA-LAAA surrond sound on everything.
Davenlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

Ed,

My '04 coach is 75101, and was completed in Feb of '04. It did NOT have the DHS sound system. By then they had switched to a Panasonic DVD "home theater in a box" sound system on my coach. I have since replaced it with a Panasonic Blu-ray home theater in a box sound system. It has a small footprint and fit into the cabinet easily. (Since discontinued.) The VCR is long gone, replaced by various DirecTV DVR's. Currently it is an HR44 Genie.

Both the original DVD sound system and the VCR were in the cabinet to the left of the TV. The DirecTV receiver was on the right hand side.

Mine had the 37" plasma option, which has been replaced by an updated 37" plasma, which I am very happy with. It is hard to beat a good plasma screen for picture quality.

A sound bar is an easy option. Not true surround sound, but good quality.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks to all who answered! I am going to take most of your advice and go with some sort of home type surround sound system (120v).Now for my next question is it possible that I disconnected something in the cabinet above the driver side that would not allow me to start the engine??? I just purchased new batteries less than three months ago, I'm parked at the TT Thunderbird Monroe, WA plugged into power, my batteries are fully charged, when I turn the key on none of the check this or wait to start lights come on. The backup camera comes on and I can use the hydraulic levelers so it seems like there is power to the ignition switch but that's it no idiot lights no STARTING of the motor. The starter will not engage, nothing happens. Is there a fuse or switch I could have bumped I have never had any issue of this coach not starting.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #8

I'm not sure that it may your problem but is your overhead TV on. Some RV manufacturers may have installed the lockout for driving with the TV on. I do not know for sure if my Alpine is wired like that, but since you have been working in the area check your's. I know it's not likely but maybe.

Ralph 2005 Alpine 40FDQS

Thanks
Old 03-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

I would suggest shutting off the power to both the chassis batteries and the coach batteries to reset the Vansco system. Then try again.

Everything in my entertainment center area is 120 volt, connected to the shore power/generator/inverter from the chassis batteries. Nothing I know of gets power from the chassis batteries. The TV does have an interlock to prevent viewing the TV while driving, but I believe it turns off the TV, not kill the ignition.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #10

Seems the ignition switch [key] is kind of flimsey on 2005s....agree, try resetting the VANSCO first but also check the wires on the back of the ignition--might have bumped it with your knee or something and buggered it up.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks again guys I turned off both battery disconnects, watched all the vansco lights go off and back on tried the key again and nothing. I turned on the running lights, they turn on and off with the key as does the backup camera. I checked for loose wires behind the ignition switch, everything seems fine there. Any other suggestions? This seems so odd like it should be something simple.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Ed, You're in Monroe Washington at TT over on the Ben Howard road? I live in Monroe Washington, have an Alpine, and would be happy to come over and help. Here is my phone number 425-356-1906 cell or 360-793-3245 hm
Davenlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #13

Ed, Mine is a 2003, the surround system is mounted on the floor under the dash, a real pain to get to. My TV is plugged into a Relay that shuts off the power to the TV when the engine is running. I am quite happy with the "DHS" sound system. I have no Vansco Sys. on my Coach, I like that. The wiring under the dash leaves plenty to be desired, you might have dislodged an electrical connector to the Switch? I know this is not much help. It is all I have right now. Good Luck, Ken
Old 03-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your coach has slides and/or levelers, are they in and up. Sometimes we forget the obvious when tracing down a problem.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat