Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Surround Sound Not Working

I recently purchased a 40' MDTS and am trying to figure out how to operate everything. I can't get any sound from the front 37" plasma TV or through the surround system. I get a TV picture from cable and playing a DVD, but no sound. I have the DVD player and VCR on. I tried different audio selections on the TV, but get no sound. Is there a separate switch some place for the surround sound?

Dan

djdobbins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

Assuming it is wired as it came, the cable audio will come through the VCR and go to the AUX input on the DVD sound system. So will the satellite receiver if you have one. (The plasma TV is a monitor only and has no tuner or sound capabilities built into it.) The DVD home theater sound system (in mine it was a Panasonic) has the sound system built into it. If you are getting a picture from the DVD, it should be playing its sound automatically. Make sure the volume is turned up using the DVD player and that it is not on mute. Turning up the sound on the TV, if there is a setting to do so, will have no effect on the sound level.

The '03 coaches still used a 12 volt surround system that has a switch on the dashboard to switch between the dash radio and the entertainment center. If yours is an early '04 and has that system, it is a totally different animal than I have.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

On my 03, I got so frustrated with the 37" plasma and the rest of the outdated entertainment center that I found that it would be better for me to just update the system utilizing the existing wiring and some of the speakers. I swapped out the plasma monitor for a 40"LED Samsung, it fit like a glove between the cabinets with a 1/16" clearance on both sides.Just a little fab work on the existing mount. My new electronics are a Sherwood R-904N receiver,Sony Blu-ray DVD player,SMP60 subwoofer amp and a set of better rear surround sound speakers. Total night and day change in picture and sound quality.The audio/video switch on the dash only supplies power to the in dash radio. All cost me a little over $900.00 to install myself.Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	32332

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	32333

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	32334
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
thank you; that helped. It was the selector switch on the Panasonic surround sound system.

Dan
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Jim,

Just bought a 40" Samsung LED TV. What type of mount did you get to install the new TV?

Dan 425 777-0148
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

I went to the hardware store and picked up a couple 1/8"x 1 1/2"x48" metal straps. I cut and drilled out the straps to mount horizonally to the original TV mount.If your original TV mount is like mine you will see two rows of slots on each side of the mount.I had help with a dry fit so I could take my measurements for which slots to use.The key is to secure the straps so they will cover over the location of the mount holes on the new TV. One across the top and one across the bottom and then measure and drill out to fasten the TV.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #7

TiredVet- Nice looking work!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On some systems surround sound only works if you are receiving TV through something OTHER than the TV (IE: Sat receiver, or DVR/VCR)

In my house we have a very nice Pioneer system that never works cause every time I try to use it there is this terrible whine from the seat on the other side of the room "Oh why do you have to turn THAT on?" (never mind the thousand percent improvement in sound quality).
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
TiredVet- Nice looking work!
Coming from you EngineerMike I'll take that as a complement but when it comes to our Alpines you have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know.