Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Lindenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 281
I was camping this week in San Diego and the internal transfer switch inside my charger/inverter quit working. About half of the outlets in the motorhome are powered by the inverter and the rest are from shore power or the generator.

Here is what I did to get by...
I connected a battery charger to my house batteries to keep them charged. For the higher wattage needs I ran an extension cord from the non-inverter supplied outlets inside the motorhome. This is the first time I appreciated the fact that all the outlets are not powered by the inverter. I plugged in the hair drier and the convection oven to the extension cord when I wanted to use them. It took me a day to remember the outlet for the convection oven is in the storage area above the oven I was able to plug it into the extension cord.

In my 2000 the shore powered outlets are next to the passenger seat and the two next to the bed.

When I get home I'll remove the Xantrex unit and get it repaired.
__________________

__________________
Tom & Laurel

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Lindenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 281
I was camping this week in San Diego and the internal transfer switch inside my charger/inverter quit working. About half of the outlets in the motorhome are powered by the inverter and the rest are from shore power or the generator.

Here is what I did to get by...
I connected a battery charger to my house batteries to keep them charged. For the higher wattage needs I ran an extension cord from the non-inverter supplied outlets inside the motorhome. This is the first time I appreciated the fact that all the outlets are not powered by the inverter. I plugged in the hair drier and the convection oven to the extension cord when I wanted to use them. It took me a day to remember the outlet for the convection oven is in the storage area above the oven I was able to plug it into the extension cord.

In my 2000 the shore powered outlets are next to the passenger seat and the two next to the bed.

When I get home I'll remove the Xantrex unit and get it repaired.
__________________

__________________
Tom & Laurel

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,100
Tom,

I thought that you said that the charger in the Xantrex worked? If it doesn't then you should check the 120 volt power feed into the Xantrex. A loss of 120 volt power to the Xantrex would cause your problems. Check the circuit breaker to the inverter in the main panel and the connections between that circuit breaker and the Xantrex 120 volt input.
__________________
Dale Gerstel
AMG GTS
Las Vegas, NV
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 55
Good luck with your Xantrex unit. Mine began smoking one morning. I was able to get by with only replacing a burnt wire. Turns out the wire nut was not installed correctly!
__________________
2003 36 mid-door 400hp
2001 Ford Expedition
SRAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charger/inverter not on! two sailors Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 10 07-09-2008 05:58 PM
Charger/Inverter bris48 Newmar Owner's Forum 2 10-24-2007 08:03 PM
Inverter/Charger Ptribbey Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 03-03-2007 08:28 AM
Inverter/Charger lundy Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 2 03-20-2006 02:56 PM
Inverter charger Wildturkey Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 13 01-18-2006 02:27 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.