Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
tachometer problem

Recent trip tachometer went to 0 about 100 miles out. It held there for over an hour and then gradually went up to about 1000 RPM below what it should have been given the speed I was driving. Couple days later after the engine set unused drove over 275 miles and the tach was fine. Have an 01 350. I know at least one other coach has had the problem and just turned the key off and the tach reset and was fine for some time.

Anyone have experienced the problem and found a fix?

2001 36 MDDS
03 Honda Pilot toad
jetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
We had the same thing happen on a trip last May to the NoWACA rally in Yakima. A tech at the rally came to look at it and basically fixed it by turning the ignition key on. The problem has never recurred. Another "no charge" for the tech and a cheap fix for us. The tech did say that a lot of times turning the ignition off and and then back on will fix this type of problem.

Doug & Debbie, Wilsonville Oregon
2002 36 MDDS, 2005 Chev Colorado
Blitz the American Eskimo, Barkley the Mini Aussie
Doug & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
I have had my tach and speedometer "stick" at various times...never both at the same time. They always return to normal operation after turning the engine off and restarting. Sometimes they will return to operation just by going through a town (stopping and starting I presume gets them going again). They don't lock up on every trip, but seem to lock on occasion for some reason. Sorry, haven't figured out a fix for it yet.

This is my first post on the new IRV...wish we had the old one back. This is slow and awkward to use...is it just me or do others find it not as easy to use? I used to be able to post a reply right from my email but can't seem to do it anymore.
'01 Alpine 36 FDDS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
My 2001 38ft Alpine I have the same problem and like Steve the problem has corrected its self after shutting down and restarting. Also like Steve the Speedo would some times correct it self while driving through town. Although when the Speedo would act up and I was in Cruise Control the Coach would act strange from slowing down to speeding up for a second and would catch me off guard.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
Our 2002 coach had these problems with both the tach and speedo. After replacing both a few times, we finally got a good pair and all was OK when we sold that coach.
Dale Gerstel
2007 Limited SE 40fdts
Las Vegas, NV
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
How about a fuel gauge that goes nuts when you fill the tank. It jumps from full to empty. All grounds are tight. Most unnerving not knowing how much fuel you have even though you keep reasonable track with your mileage.
Any grand solutions?
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
To all with tachometer and speedometer problems where the needle jumps around on older coaches. This is a known problem. There used to be irv2 posts on this issue. On my 2001 Alpine Coach, I had these problems on both the speedometer and tachometer. The solution is to get replacement head units with the latest revision of software.
Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
Tachometer Problem

I had a similar problem. In my case, it was a matter of finding the connector on the tranny that feeds the tach, unplugging it and plugging it back in. That may or may not have been the cause and cure, but we've not had a recurrence in 50,000 miles.

BTW, I had the same symptom (at the same time) on my Silverleaf, so I don't think the problem was in the gauge head.

Franklin & Dessa
2001 Alpine 34 FDDS
Tow a 2014 CR-V
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote