Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Tank Odor in Closet

Driving down the road the other day we noticed a strong odor coming from the back of the MH. I thought it might be a dry toilet seal, but we narrowed it down to the closet where the washing machine is. I removed the inspection panel in the cabinet and by that time the odor was very faint. It was way worse when we were moving.

I filled the trap in the washer drain with water and on the next drive it seemed to have fixed the problem.

One thing that kind of doesn't make sense is that the drain and trap are part of the tank vent and there is a vented cap at about the same level as the drain hose inlet. I'm no plumber and I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the vent is defeating the purpose of the trap. Is there a valve of sorts in the vent that relieves a pressure build up from the tank? It's ABS and glued in place and doesn't seem to have any open or close feature. It seems odd to me that it would vent indoors!?!?

The drain hose is a loose fit in the drain pipe which seems like it was meant to be that way. My manual doesn't say anything other than push the hose in about 6"

Thanks, Terry

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

I had similar issues from our washer vent when traveling also. Since the stack is vented to the roof, I decided there was no reason the drain hose could not be sealed where it enters the stack.
So, I took a wad of Plumbers Putty, rolled it into a cigar and tamped it in around the drain hose. No more washer drain odor issues. Drain works as good as it ever did.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Driving down the road the other day we noticed a strong odor coming from the back of the MH. I thought it might be a dry toilet seal, but we narrowed it down to the closet where the washing machine is. I removed the inspection panel in the cabinet and by that time the odor was very faint. It was way worse when we were moving.
I filled the trap in the washer drain with water and on the next drive it seemed to have fixed the problem.
One thing that kind of doesn't make sense is that the drain and trap are part of the tank vent and there is a vented cap at about the same level as the drain hose inlet. I'm no plumber and I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the vent is defeating the purpose of the trap. Is there a valve of sorts in the vent that relieves a pressure build up from the tank? It's ABS and glued in place and doesn't seem to have any open or close feature. It seems odd to me that it would vent indoors!?!?
The drain hose is a loose fit in the drain pipe which seems like it was meant to be that way. My manual doesn't say anything other than push the hose in about 6"
Thanks, Terry
Terry W
Methinks the ABS part is an AAV, (air admittance valve) that has failed.

AIR AADMITTANCE VALVE, (AAV)

AAVs are a repetitively high failure device, are inexpensive and are not normally glued on:
See: Robot Check
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clothes washer drain hoses drain into a stand pipe which is not sealed around the drain hose:

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Terry,
There is a cheater vent to allow the trap to function properly, that's the cap you saw. These have a flap that will allow air from the interior in to relieve the suction caused by water going down the drain and allows the trap to maintain the water level needed to prevent odors entering through it.

Sadly these are very cheap and the flap gets old and stiff, so when driving down the road with any windows or roof vents open (creating negative pressure in the coach) they will allow stench from the tank into the interior.

Good preventative measure is to go to your local hardware store and ask for a "Cheater Vent" and replace all of them. They just screw in my 36' has one in the bath, washer area and under the sink. It was unbearable if I tried to drive with vents/windows open when I bought it, $20 at Home Depot and all is good.

;-) Mel beat me to it with a great diagram

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the speedy replies. Like I said, "I ain't no plumber". It's good to know it's a cheap and easy, a little awkward, fix.

I saw the link to Amazon and they have, black or................dare I say it, CHROME, that's a tough choice.

Thanks again, Terry
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Tank Odor in Closet

Terry,

While a valve may have failed, there is also a chance you have a broken vent/drain pipe (or more likely a joint that has broken open). Check the PVC joints I had one behind the refer that was not properly joined and spread apart. When we were driving the negative pressure inside the coach would draw the fumes in BEFORE they reached the vent (and believe me grey water can smell as bad as black). I cleaned up the joint, applied new PVC joint cement, after I rejoined the pieces the problem was cleared up. Vibration had caused the poorly assembled joint to fail, (I am thinking the WRV techs might not have been plumbers either), it is easy to fix once you find it. Check all the joints, unless you find one leaking, it is most likely above the water line, check all the vent pipes, it may not be the washing machine piping.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Thanks for the speedy replies. Like I said, "I ain't no plumber". It's good to know it's a cheap and easy, a little awkward, fix.

I saw the link to Amazon and they have, black or................dare I say it, CHROME, that's a tough choice.

Thanks again, Terry

Terry,

There is no AVV valve on the washer drain. There are on each of the sink drains but not on the washer. The washer depends on water in the P Trap.
If it's dry, such as from sloshing while driving, it will allow a direct opening to the Grey Tank. By sealing around the hose on the stand pipe the odour must go up the vent and outside. The other thing you can do to minimize odour from the tanks is to keep your ceiling vents closed during travel. Open vents will cause a negative pressure inside the coach and draw air off the tanks. Particularly the Grey Tank.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #8

Thanks again for the help. On my trip home the other day after filling the trap the odor was gone. So I believe I have found the culprit.

The vent or AAV is what I was questioning. I now understand it's function and I'll probably replace it anyway, it's ten years old. I noticed threads on it but didn't notice that it wasn't glued in.

Hopefully another little problem solved. It's nice to have this type of problem instead of the last few I've faced.

Thanks again, Terry

Tags
odor, tank