Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Temperature gauge failure

I have a 2004 34' with the ISL engine. The engine temperature gauge of the 4 gauge cluster has quit working. Is it more likely the sensor at the motor? The other 3 gauges seem to be working fine. I believe that it is a Actia gauge. Are they repairable? If not does anyone know where to buy a new one? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John Foster

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think it is most likely the wire or connections. Test with a multimeter to see if the wire has continuity.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

I would guess the sender unit in the engine. I replaced mine a couple of years ago. Easy to test with an ohmmeter.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Most temperature sensors, if only one wire, work by resisting ground. If you hook the wire from the gauge to ground, it should show a reaction on the gauge. That will eliminate the wire and the gauge as the source of the problem, then replace the sensor.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #5

I vote sensor.
I think your gauges are pre-Actia. If you have a small LED window below the speedo needle then you have the Actia cluster. If you have one long bar of idiot lights then you have the gauge version just before Actia cluster gauges which were OEM standard for model year 05.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

I finally got my coach into a local mech. And the first thing he tested was the sensor. He got a reading at the sensor but nothing at the dash. He thinks it is a problem in the wire coming from the rear and would like to repair it if he can before running a new wire. The problem is tracking the wire through the frame to the front. Does anyone have an idea how WRV ran the wires from the engine to the dash? Are there any known problem areas where a wire could have rubbed on the frame or a floor screw? Does the engine temp. Wire go into and out of a module before it gets to the dash? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated as it could save me some $$ with this repair.

Thanks
John Foster
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #7

I think I asked my last question incorrectly. What I think I meant to ask was,
Does anyone know the route of the wire that powers the gauges from the VDC to the dash? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
John Foster
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

The 2004 Sales Brochure (where'd I find that? The ACA Tech Library of course) shows a giant fat bundle of wire loom heading up the inside of DS frame channel. Unfortunately it doesn't show the inside of the PS frame channel, so that's not dispositive.

You should be able to follow the wire loom to some extent on a 34' w/the bed raised, tho you may have to do a head stand to some extent. You can get further insight by looking up into the frame channels in the basement behind the water tank. Its not for the feint of heart nor fat of stomach but you can also do some charting on a creeper. The area where wire bundles enter the bulkhead just ahead of the differential is somewhat hard to get to and you need a good strong light regardless of time of day. sometimes I can't see areas of this sort so I fish one arm in w/a camera.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I think the wire must go into the ECU because if it overheats, I believe the engine will shut down. If you can get a code reader, I'd check it to see if it is reading the temperature. Then you'd know if the problem is between the ECU and gauge or before that. I think you'll need either a Cummins manual or shop.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

We are still working on the temp. Gauge problem. I have a new question regarding this. Does the wire for the gauges go through the PDM and the VMM or does it go directly from the VDC or the ECM? Based on info from the post "Dead Coach" we don't think we have a Vansco problem. Cannot find a new Borg-Warner gauge or find anyone that can test or repair the old one.

Thanks, John
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #11

There are iirc two temp sensors, one is the Cummins sensor that reports to the ECM,, the other reports to the gauge. A gauge sensor failure wouldn't trigger issues w/the engine's computer. As to the route, still no better intelligence on that.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #12

Thanks Mike. Someday I hope to know more about the coach than just how to drive it. We hope to travel in her for many more years.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #13

After several wasted weeks trying to fix this problem I finally remembered to call Carolyn Gefre at Aubrey's R.V. And sure enough they had a new gauge. The new gauge is made by Medallion based on the same design as the Borg-Warner gauge that was original equipment. The gauge itself was the the problem all along and possibly got shorted out when a body shop sprayed the engine with a pressure washer. That's when the gauge quit working so it sounds logical. My mechanic did make some contact with Medallion Instruments but only by e-mail since their phone is answered by a machine and they never return calls.
Carolyn at Aubrey' was extremely helpful and I strongly recommend them.

John