Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Thank You!

In 2012 I purchased a Beautiful Alpine Coach that had what appeared to be a minor Battery Box Fire. That started a multiple year adventure to recovery. I know my techs used IRV2 on multiple occasions to seek information as there was no manufacturer support available whatsoever and I sincerely appreciate the assistance this group provided. I remained in contact with the previous coach owner and shared a synopsis of the journey with him this weekend and he suggested I share the journey here.

Well Sir...it was quite an experience.

I did virtually none of the work although I did assist with research and logistics. I have a great RV Service Company, Dependable RV Services, that took this on as a challenge and helped me tremendously with the labor costs.

As I am sure you are aware the first hurdle was the demise of Western RV. The PEAK Chassis was designed and build in-house. With no manufacturer support that was a dilly!

We started with he VANSCO system getting them replaced through a vendor in Canada. Here is a tip, if you are sending wired devices to another country...one of which is burned or scorched you may wanna give Customs a heads up. It took several months to make it there due to the delay.

Once The Vanscos were returned (with new plug pigtails) we needed some guide to reconnect to the existing chassis wiring harness. Through the internet we were able to track down the man who designed the PEAK Chassis for Western RV. He in turn directed us to an engineer that designed the original electrical layout. He no longer had the files but was willing to recreate one...for a fee of course.

Another thing I learned was, you cannot repla
ce an engine harness with it inside the Coach. I got teamed up with a local Service Company, J.R. Hunt Enterprises, that repairs fire trucks and trains for CN. After an initial once over they said they did not think the engine or transmission was hurt but recommended since we were going through the expense of pulling them that we send them for dyno testing. We did, they passed with flying colors but, a harness here, module there, alternator, A/C Compressor, reinstall the bill was still about $30k(just from the engine techs). They too took it on as a challenge and helped with costs as we learned together about this Coach.

Throughout the process the guys at Dependable RV repeated that this was the best built rig they had ever seen. While beating their heads again the wall at times, they always said once we get up running she will be fine.

We have two lingering, annoying issues but all involved wanted to step back and let their brains relax before diving back in. One is a check engine light due to a water in the fuel sensor. At this point it is debatable as to the cause. The other issue is a sensor or wire for one or more of the ABS sensors are showing a fault. The Brakes are working fine just no additional Antilock. We will make another run at those issues sooner or later...likely after my wallet recovers.

The Previous Owner gave me some tips on the ABS light I will relay to my Alpine Medical Team...Slowly But Surely we are recovering!

I have made a couple of small local runs to ensure the "bugs" are worked out and look forward to our first extended trip the first week in May to Talladega, Alabama.

Perry Waggener
SouthrnCampr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	91345  
SouthrnCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #2

I considered buying this coach but the more I looked at it the more I knew it was going to be a huge job to try and get this thing going again. Congrats on getting it going again and hope you have lots of trouble free miles in the future.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

Perry- glad to hear you are on the road.
When you get time, please send me copies of any of the materials that the original guys were able to re-create so I can see if we need these in the Alpine Coach Assoc. Tech Library.
Mike at Fleming dot cc (not dot com). Thanks.