Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #1

That Big Giant Mud Flap

I'm going to remove the mud flap. I can't see any real benefit. I didn't have one on my last MH and there were no problems with rock damage to my Jeep. I have also noticed the sun being reflected by the chrome trim on others while driving and our travelling companions on the last trip said ours is causing the same problem.

Has anybody else removed theirs? Any reason to keep it on?

Just curious.

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #2

I'm thinking the same, but just haven't made up my mind. I believe what other posters are saying that it throws up more than it doesn't.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #3

I removed the one on the new to us '03 we bought about a year ago. The rubber flaps behind the duallies provide ample protection.
I listed it here in the Classifieds and it sold for $250 plus shipping.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
There have been a few threads on this. I took mine off after it warped and found that my toad was much cleaner. I wouldn't run one again, no matter how cool it looked.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently took mine off, cut about 2" off the thing so it wouldn't drag when I lift the tag or drive over dips in the road. I have pondered removing it but will see how it goes now that it is shorter.

We did get some small rock chips in the toad when we drove for about 20 miles over a freshly resurfaced road (tar and chip) in Oregon. I don't know if the big flap contributed to that or if it prevented it from being worse.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mine had a full length rear flap when we bought it, the engine compartment was always really dirty, After reading up on this, I cut the flap down to 12" , engine compartment stays a lot cleaner now, plus with the short flap, it works great with our Protect-a Tow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear flap.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	108114  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

I removed our mud flap a month ago for a different reason – to eliminate “jacks down” alarms. We had experienced frequent alarms, always from the left rear jack, always after about 30 to 45 minutes' driving from a cold start. Another Alpine owner suggested it was due to heat build-up from the exhaust, turbo & radiators all together near the left rear jack. I researched HWH manuals and found this statement: “HWH uses a simple rule; there should be no direct line of sight from any HWH component to a heat source.” Somehow WRV ignored this rule when building our Alpine. Since removing the mud flap we have had only one jacks down alarm in 9 driving days.

Ours is a large mud flap mounted rigidly to the frame. I had considered cutting a few inches off the bottom, and perhaps mounting it on chains to allow more air flow. But since several posters on this thread mention other benefits, like a cleaner engine compartment, and no increased damage to toads, I think I’ll leave mine off.

Michael
2001 Alpine 36FDDS
No tow
Old 09-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I just shined mine up with Stainless Steel Magic. It's purty
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Mine came off years ago 'accidentally' and I never re-installed it. Don't really miss it...
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbweitz View Post
I removed our mud flap a month ago for a different reason – to eliminate “jacks down” alarms. We had experienced frequent alarms, always from the left rear jack, always after about 30 to 45 minutes' driving from a cold start. Another Alpine owner suggested it was due to heat build-up from the exhaust, turbo & radiators all together near the left rear jack. I researched HWH manuals and found this statement: “HWH uses a simple rule; there should be no direct line of sight from any HWH component to a heat source.” Somehow WRV ignored this rule when building our Alpine. Since removing the mud flap we have had only one jacks down alarm in 9 driving days.

Ours is a large mud flap mounted rigidly to the frame. I had considered cutting a few inches off the bottom, and perhaps mounting it on chains to allow more air flow. But since several posters on this thread mention other benefits, like a cleaner engine compartment, and no increased damage to toads, I think I’ll leave mine off.

Michael
2001 Alpine 36FDDS
No tow
The most common reason for false "Jacks Down" alarms is operator error. When you put the jacks in the "Store" position, DO NOT turn of the HWH controller. Once the jacks reach the store position, the controller holds the solenoid valves open for up to six minutes to allow all of the fluid to return to the reservoir. If you turn off the controller, the valves go to the closed position. If any fluid is trapped in the system, once it heats up it expands and the ram on the jack moves down slightly. Since I've learned about this, I haven't had a false alarm - before I knew about this I turned my HWH system off once the jacks showed "store" and I had false alarms.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
The most common reason for false "Jacks Down" alarms is operator error. When you put the jacks in the "Store" position, DO NOT turn of the HWH controller. Once the jacks reach the store position, the controller holds the solenoid valves open for up to six minutes to allow all of the fluid to return to the reservoir. If you turn off the controller, the valves go to the closed position. If any fluid is trapped in the system, once it heats up it expands and the ram on the jack moves down slightly. Since I've learned about this, I haven't had a false alarm - before I knew about this I turned my HWH system off once the jacks showed "store" and I had false alarms.
Mike,I have had a jack down alarm.When do you shut off the HWH controller or what procedure do you use when preparing to travel?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #12

Hi JIm

If you do nothing with the HWH control panel it will time out and shut itself down after 6 minutes so no need to worry about timing!

Geoff
Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike is correct. We had the HWH jacks on our previous coach and if you do not wait for the system to shut itself off (takes several minutes), ambient heat will expand the fluid trapped in a jack/s and give you a 'jacks down' alarm. More likely to occur in hot weather, of course.

I always pressed the store button and went outside and finished up putting things away. Sometimes it took 5 - 6 minutes or more to fully retract the jacks and shut itself down.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I've noticed that if you start the engine when the jacks are in transit, silverleaf reports with "system not responding" so I either do another store command or wait to start until the jacks are fully stored.

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote