Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #1

The Dreaded Magic Smoke from Inverter/ Charger

Well, I finally found out what the dreaded magic smoke is that Engineer Mike referred to in one of his posts.

The grim reaper has come to claim my inverter/charger.

We were getting ready to leave for a trip. As I unplugged the coach from the AC wall outlet an unfamiliar sound came from the inverter but no more sounds or smell. I thought that a little odd and thought I would investigate it when I got the coach out of the garage. After pulling the coach out of the garage I was setting in the drivers seat and began to smell an odor that could only be an electrical fire smell. I shut down the coach,grabbed the (Mac the Fire Guy Fire Extinguisher) and ran outside the coach to find smoke coming from a bay door. When I opened the door, (a lot of smoke and crackling sounds, NOT GOOD.) The inverter was bellowing smoke at a pretty good rate. I stood guard with the fire extinguisher over the very hot but not flaming inverter. As it cooled down and quit smokingthen I disconnected the main positive battery wire from the inverter.

My heart rate began to get back to normal and I was feeling very re-leaved that the coach was not going to burn down. I never did see flames. After a call to Dave Fernandez, he assured me that it probably would not have caught fire as he and others have experienced similar problems.

After panic subsided and reality set in I removed the inverter from the coach. I am now faced with finding a replacement for my SW2000 Xantrax inverter/charger. The SW2000 is no longer made and was replaced by the Freedom Sine Wave 2000 or Freedom Sine Wave 3000. Tomorrow I will call Silver Leaf to see if the FSW2000 or FSW3000 is compatible with Silver Leaf.

Has anyone with a Silver Leaf system replaced their inverter with an FSW2000 or upgraded to a FSW3000? Is an up grade to a FSW3000 something I should consider?

Well for now (with a little guidance from Dave) I was able to rewire the coach so that I have AC from either the shore line or the generator and we were able to head to a wedding in Fallbrook and on to Pachunga for the Alpine So. Cal 10th anniversary rally.

Jim

40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Jim- Dale Gerstel doesn't have SilverLeaf but did upgrade to the 3000, not sure but Basil might have also and he does have S.L.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

I just got off the phone with Paul Sullivan and he had the same problem last year. He has an Apex and replaced his with a 3000 and he said it's a plug N play if I use the 3000 but not with the 2000, otherwise I will have to send my Silver Leaf back to be programed. Monty suggested the Magnum 2800 watt but that needs to have the Silver Leaf re figured too. Paul seems to like the new 3000, and I like the plug N play with no Silver Leaf re figure hassle idea too.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - Magnum is field repairable the Xantrex brands are not to my knowledge. I would be interested to know what re-programing needs to be done if changing to Magnum from Xantrex. I have several friends who like me are RV tecks, and they swear by Magnum inverters/chargers. I have a friend who has Monaco and he has owned for a long time, and got it used, it has a Magnum in it, and has never given him a moments trouble, although his AGS does not seem to work as easy as ours does, but his is an 2002. Someone with an apex replaced the Xantrex with the magnum brand, and have been very happy with that change, I cannot remember who it was though. Maybe they will read this post and chime in.
I will send S/L an e-mail asking what changes if any are required and how hard is it to do the programing, as I was a PC person for 20 years, so loading the code should not be to difficult unless it has to be from one of their PC's. I will update this once I have information. And the Xantrex RS3000 is a direct swap for the RS2000, so like mentioned no programing would need to be performed, just updating the database with the new data on the RS3000. Otherwise nothing changes.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I talked to an inverter technician yesterday and he informed me that the new Freedom Sine Wave 3000 is now bench repairable. Unfortunately my inverter is not. Tomorrow I will call S/L and get all the information on programing. I was told by the technician that the new Xantrex is a much better inverter than the old model and completely re designed..
Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 05-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, I replaced my Xantrex 2000 with the Xantrex 3000 last year and have been very happy with it. Nothing special to do to exchange units, if you go to the Magnum, Sliverleaf will have to reprogram your Apex which is an added expense.

2006 Alpine Apex 40' MDTS
Coin-Op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #7

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
[QUOTE=EngineerMike;1191591]Jim- Dale Gerstel doesn't have SilverLeaf but did upgrade to the 3000, not sure but Basil might have also and he does have S.L.

we installed a Magnum 2800 and have had zero problems with it. Silverleaf added a new interface box back by the inverters and reprogrammed the other boxes.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #8

Here is what I know now after speaking with Corey at Silver Leaf. Xantrex no longer makes the 3000 model and has replaced it with the 3012. The 3012 is not S/L compatible any longer and the S/L can not be programmed to work with the new 3012. He said, most all new coaches are being made with the Magnum 2812 now and it is completely compatible with S/L. I will need to send in my S/L (all 3 boxes) to be reprogrammed (about $450.00). I found a MS2812 www.partsonsale.com for $1450.20 with free shipping. All the posts and other information I could find on the Magnum Inverters were very positive. SOOOOO……. I ordered the Magnum 2812 and when we get home I will get RA # from S/L and send them my monitor, TV box and the box from the rear of the coach. In the mean time I will install the new inverter.

I have had an intermittent problem with my backup camera in warm or hot weather since the coach was purchased. I replaced the camera and wiring (didn't help) and now have found when I unplug the camera from the monitor and re plug it, it starts working again. S/L now thinks it’s in the monitor, so I hope to resolve that issue as well when they have the monitor.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

Doe's anyone know if I can install my Magnum MS 2812 inverter and before I receive the updated Silver Leaf boxes back?
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #10

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
Doe's anyone know if I can install my Magnum MS 2812 inverter and before I receive the updated Silver Leaf boxes back?
Back in September 2010, I installed the Magnum on the road in Wichita and ran on the factory default settings until I had AGM batteries installed a week later in Colorado Springs and they updated using their control panel. Several weeks later I got the Silverleaf updated in Albany, Oregon.

Silverleaf added a 3rd box for the Magnum interface.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
Back in September 2010, I installed the Magnum on the road in Wichita and ran on the factory default settings until I had AGM batteries installed a week later in Colorado Springs and they updated using their control panel. Several weeks later I got the Silverleaf updated in Albany, Oregon.

Silverleaf added a 3rd box for the Magnum interface.
I found some pictures of the Magnum 2812 mechanical installation plus the new Silverleaf interface box.

The hole pattern is different than the Xantrex. I did notice that the rear air outlet of the Xantrex was almost blocked by the frame of the coach. Saw a dust pattern on the frame that matched the air outlet. Can't be good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	22902   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	22903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	22904  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #12

I know there are several inverters that will work. With all the electrical on the APEX, I wanted a bigger inverter.

There is recent post in the forum in Modified SQ wave vr full sine in May 2012 and I did a post with pictures . Over 2 years ago I did replace my inverter with a Magnum ME 3112, remote control ME RC 50, and system battery monitor ME-BMK in my 2007 Apex. I did call Silverleaf and at that time they were not not compatible yet with Silverleaf. I just disconnected their data cable and everthing works fine and I have far more information. I just push inverter or charger button. Turn the knob to the shore power amperage now. Could have put on AGS, but still have manual start through Silverleaf or Magnum remote.

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter