Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
This listing for a 2003 40FDTS for $87000 is an eye opener.

Sadly, our Alpines, like the stock market, are down about 25% in value since last fall.

Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
In all sincerity I think you will find you can buy most coaches for much less than the 25%.

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In todays market, I'd not offer over 65% on book value for a used RV. But that is my opinion.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
The "book value" itself is down more than 25% in the last 3 months. NADA is no doubt a little slow to reflect the market changes but the published prices are down. I would never pay "book value" any way but since it is computed using the same methodology, comparison of Oct 2008 with Jan 2009 prices for the same RV will give a good indication of the relative loss in value.
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Somebody forgot to tell my taxman who thinks NADA is the gospel.
Thomas & Betty w/Bailey & Gypsy (our fur-bearing masters)
07 Bounder 35e (F53)
07 Nissan Frontier or 2010 FLSTC toad
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Unless NADA has changed in the past few years, their prices are based on a percentage depreciation from the list price based solely on age and initial list price. It did not take into account that coaches from some manufacturers have a higher residual value. If this is still true, it is probably a good thing for us since it does not take into account that we own orphans.

When we purchased our coach we figured to own it until it was used up and had to be sold for scrap metal. So loss of book value doesn't concern me at all. It wasn't bought as an investment, just as a cost for the lifestyle we wanted.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
I'm with Jim. Unless there is a huge technological improvement that cannot by added to my coach, I can remodel and replace parts until it dies. I've looked at brand new coaches and could just about "gut" mine and rebuild it the way I like for less than buying new.

While not a huge technological improvement, I really like the Smartbeds (that I don't have), but will live with adding roll-outs. I suppose something with a new propulsion system might come along, eventually, and be too costly to adapt mine.

I upgraded to my Alpine because of a major improvement, slide-outs. But since that invention (mid-90's), nothing SPECTACULAR has really shown up that cannot be added.

But who knows? Maybe my vanity will win out in another ten years and I'll "need" a newer coach.

2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote