Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #15

I went into the compartment with the HWH system and I can identify the solenoids from the schematic and by feel, since you can see nothing. The inaccessability of the system is preposterous! I cannot identify the resevoir by feel even though it is shown on the two schematic system drawings inside the compartment. No way! I fail to understand why WRV doesn't attach a remote fill resevoir elsewhere on the coach. It's not tough to do. People do it all the time with brake systems in hot rods where the master cylinder is under the floor.

One of the things that attracted me to Alpines in the beginning was my seeing a bare chassis at a dealer. Bare in that there was a complete chassis with no body on it. Everything looked so easy to get to. I'd love to see a bare chassis or detailed photos of one again so that I could study the layout of the HWH system as well as other things. Do any such photos exist?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Boy do I feel lucky that on our 2002 36 MDDS it is so easy to identify the reservoir. Kind of jumps out at you when you look inside.

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #17

Rick,

Maybe the system was changed on my '06 MDDS, but it is a tank behind the circuit board and forward (toward front of coach) of the solenoid valves. It has a black plastic filler cap that's shaped like six-sided head of a bolt, only about 1" thick, in the top center of the black metal reservoir.

FWIW -- maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 AM   #18

Thanks for the tip. I'll take another look when we get home tomorrow and I have a chance to dig out.

Rick
Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #19

Does anyone have the HWH part numbers for the bedroom slide hoses? My coach is an '05 36MDDS.

Thanks,
Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #20

Rick- I believe on your '05 there is a bolted on plate at the forward bulkhead of the forward PS storage compartment. When you next work on HWH, take out that plate. It is an access for the HWH (solenoid area IIRC) and if nothing else will give you more light (you can hang or prop up a work light in the storage bay to illuminate the HWH pump/tank/control contraption).
Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,
Would it worth while to unplug the control panel and move it out to do any serious re-plumbing. I can just barely see the fill cap. on my 2005. I have a bit of oil on the end of bolts under the HWH area. Is this a normal situation if it hasn't been cleaned for a while?

Brad
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #22

Two Sailors:

If you or the previous owners ever spilled some hydraulic fluid when adding to the reservoir, it will trickle down under the reservoir and appear on the bolt heads under the HWH area. I spilled about 3 quarts by filling my reservoir when I had the jacks down and slides out, and when I brought them in, all the excess fluid came out the the fill cap (which it's designed to do). I have been cleaning regularly to get rid of the fluid (a never-ending battle) and while I can get rid of all the fluid I see in the compartment, I always end up with some that trickles down to the bolt heads under the HWH area. There are a lot of places for small amounts of fluid to accumulate in the HWH area, and take a long time, and gather a lot of dust, before it's gone.

As long as your fluid is staying up where it's supposed to be in the reservoir, I'll bet it's residual from a little spill.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
OldForester,

Thanks for the optimstic thought on the oil drips. Im afraid I was a bit dazzled by the low milage and shiny paint when I bought this rig. I have since found coolant around the bottom of the radiator also. We take our first outing next weekend to eastern Oregon and I'll be keeping a eye on the surge tank level.
Brad
Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Two Sailors,

In regard to the surge tank level. I am not sure about the specifics of this but you can do a search on the subject, I am sure it has been discussed before. On my new 2007 I found that if I filled the surge tank to the level that I could see the coolant in the sight glass, that after a run it would dump enough coolant so that you couldn't see it in the sight glass. Then I would have to add coolant to be able to see it in the sight glass again. This was easily solved by adding a coolant recovery tank. My 2002 did not have this problem, but had a different tank.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Dale,
I didn't entend to drag this thread into a radiator discussion, I will just have to see what happens next week with 700 mile trip.

Brad
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Brad,

Theads seem to have a life of their own.

Dale
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #27

As long as we're on coolant recovery (I remember the previous thread on this where I asked the questions about the "cold coolant level" on the surge tank because I would fill it to a spot on the sight glass 1/2 way up the glass with coolant when cold and it would overflow a little continuously. I finally stopped adding coolant till it stopped overflowing after about 5,000 miles.

I found that when it stopped overflowing, the surge tank sight glass would show no coolant, but once I start the engine the sight glass immediately goes to a level 1/2 way up the sight glass.

So now I check the sight glass with the engine cold but running, and it's always 1/2 way up. When cold and stopped, there's no coolant showing. And, needless to say, when it's hot the sight glass if full.

I didn't need a coolant recovery tank -- just a change in checking the coolant level.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
This is a prime example of why it pays to do a search on a topic. OldForester's solution to the problem is much easier than mine.

Dale