Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #1

Well, it finally happened to us. I guess since we are on a long trip and operating the slides nearly daily, it was bound to happen. I know the subject has been discussed ad naseum, but I hav questions. When we bought the coach new 15 months ago I insisted the dealer install the "retrofit" hose kit to head off any future problems.

When we stopped about an hour ago for the night I had my wife extend the bedroom slide while I watched from outside. The front end of the slide came out about 6 inches, the back not at all- and I started seeing hydraulic fluid leaking profusely! She stopped immediately when I called out. I asked her to try and retract with me pushing against the front of the slide. Thankfully, the slide went in, and fluid continued to flow! The front slide does not work at all now. Maybe it is just as well it had not been extended first. I will call WRV about new hoses in the morning, but in the meantime I have questions: Is the jack hydraulic system independent of the slides? Will my jacks retract tomorrow morning for us to leave? (I didn't want to try until then as I figured at least we are level for the night.) Have the newest replacement hoses been lasting?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #2

Well, it finally happened to us. I guess since we are on a long trip and operating the slides nearly daily, it was bound to happen. I know the subject has been discussed ad naseum, but I hav questions. When we bought the coach new 15 months ago I insisted the dealer install the "retrofit" hose kit to head off any future problems.

When we stopped about an hour ago for the night I had my wife extend the bedroom slide while I watched from outside. The front end of the slide came out about 6 inches, the back not at all- and I started seeing hydraulic fluid leaking profusely! She stopped immediately when I called out. I asked her to try and retract with me pushing against the front of the slide. Thankfully, the slide went in, and fluid continued to flow! The front slide does not work at all now. Maybe it is just as well it had not been extended first. I will call WRV about new hoses in the morning, but in the meantime I have questions: Is the jack hydraulic system independent of the slides? Will my jacks retract tomorrow morning for us to leave? (I didn't want to try until then as I figured at least we are level for the night.) Have the newest replacement hoses been lasting?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Rick:

Sorry to hear about the hoses. If you go to the HWH Web site there may be a service facility in your area that can replace the hoses. You do not need hydraulic pressure to raise the jacks they are raised by the springs. If you are now home in Southern CA, Acacia RV in Colton are an authorized HWH service center.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I am about to purchase a 2005 36mdds. What about the problems with the hydraulic slide system?

Brad
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
2 Sailors,

Do a "find" on hydraulic or slides and you will see, as Rick says, it truly has been discussed "ad nauseum". It seems to be the bane of an Alpine's existence.

Of course a few other manufacturer's have the same system and the same problems, too. It's disappointing that HWH, a reputable company, continues to put out a plagued product. I'd've gone out of my way to over-compensate for design defects, but alas, they haven't. Several owners have had multiple breaks. Too bad.

Still, I love Alpines, and I cringe at every odd sound when I put out my slides.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

The jacks should retract just fine. The slides use the hydraulic pressure to move the slide in and out, while the jacks just use it to lower the jack with the springs rising the jacks and returning the fluid to the reservoir. The reason the main slide would not work is probably not enough fluid. Putting the jacks down uses a lot of fluid and it sounds like you lost quite a bit also.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. That lets me know I can raise anchor and pull out of here this morning. We are spending the next couple of nights with friends, then only one more night on the road before getting home. I say that since I'm guessing I won't have any pressure to put the jacks down the last night. Correct?

Thanks to all for your replies.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #8

I remember some discussion a short while back where someone was talking about some replacement hoses that could be made with braided steel lines like those used in high performance automotive and aircraft applications. Did anyone ever persue this?

In reply to those who are unaware of the problem: Apparently HWH has made some defective hoses that either wiil burst or have end fittings that will fail. In the 36 foot coaches the lines lay across the top of the radiatior, so the heat exacerbates the problem. The retrofit kit has a heat shield that wraps around the hoses and attaches to the closet floor above, effectively (?) solving the heat issue. Since I have not yet had an opportunity to remove the radiator grill I don't know where my failure occurred. I know there is a place out near Riverside, CA that custom builds braided steel lines for high performance automotive applications and I may talk to them.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #9

Rick,

Sorry to hear your hoses failed. My third set has been doing well since April with a lot of nights and a lot of travel and the coach is at WRV right now having other work done, so they're going to check them again for me. But I can't see any leaks from either end of the heat shield so I'm hoping it's still OK.

Your failure was in the same place as our first failure, and our bedroom slide was in a bind, which is the way I drove it until it got fixed. (could have come loose and gone all the way out going down the road, but I didn't realize it).

I will be interested to see if you can find a place near Riverside that custom builds braided steel lines that might build you a set.

I don't know if he's relocated for the fall and winter from Bend, OR, to Palm Springs, but the HWH certified technician that replaced my hoses and did such a good job with them, and knows the procedure well, is Mike Flowerday, 541-410-5555. He's mobile, so you might check to see if he's going to be there in time to help you. I had no problem getting WRV to use him (they paid me when I submitted the invoice), and they have used him on other coaches since.

Since the hydraulic fluid is shared with jacks and hoses, you'll want to not use either system until you get that leak repaired, or you'll lose all your fluid.

One question -- is this your third set of hoses that failed, or second set? My third set from HWH had slightly different fittings, and that's why I'm asking the question.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #10

Any reputable hydraulic hose co can make up these hoses. If you cannot find that listing look up forklifts. These people make hoses all day long. Let them know your pressure is between 3000-4000lbs. That should more than cover you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I have noticed the bedroom slide, on this 05 36ft that I am in the process of buying, does not return evenly. It sort of walks, one end then the other as it comes in. Is common or am I in for trouble?
Brad
Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #12

Rick
I do not know much about the HWH hydraulic system hoses. However, I do know hydraulic on cranes, 80 ton elevators, and marine equipment. As a new be to Alpine coaches, I have immediately outfitted my spare parts with a jumper hoses, (Aero quip) and fabricated end caps. Just in case for the coming home. Look in the yellow pages for Aero quip hose dealers or Eastman hoses. Once you buy the ends Brz or S.S, you can replace the hoses using the same ends. (They may cost as much as your HWH complete hose assembly) The manufacture will make-up it is tested to 200% of the wkg psi. or whatever and you may verify it. However, if you replace one hose you replace the whole set supply/return for both rams. It is very very important to keep the oil system clean. May consider a flushing out of the system. These small systems usually do not contain a 3 micron inside the sump filter, or a magnet in the sump or a swash bulkhead to reduce the bubbles and let oil settle before getting sucked into the pump.
Dave
Old 09-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #13

The slide normally glides in very smoothly and evenly. I'm sure I haven't used my coach or slides as much as most of the owners on this forum, and this has been our first really substantial trip (2+ weeks) since our puchase. It's one of those "work" things.This is my first set of hoses. Before I bought the coach I was aware of the problem from this forum. I insisted, as part of my purchase from Saddleback RV that they replace the hoses and install the heat shield before accepting delivery. They agreed to do it. Did they really do it? I won't know until I pull off the radiator grill to check. My observation is that some dealers give more lip service than service. It seems to me that it would be worthwhile to invest in braided lines even if they are pricey so as to never have to even think about the possibility of a problem again, especially while on the road.

Are all the ends Brz or S.S.? How many ends do I need? (I've never seen the system in the open)
I would replace all the hoses in the system.

Further, where do you add the hydraulic fluid?

Thanks, Rick Coleman
Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #14

Rick,

If this is your first set of hoses, then it could be part of the earlier sets that didn't perform well; it took me 3 sets to get to some that haven't leaked.

The fittings on the last set looked like an aluminum alloy of some type, but I'm sure they may be of something else.

You add all the hydraulic fluid for the jacks and slides into one reservoir, located in the HWH system panel behind the passenger side front wheel. It has a lock on it that matches the locks on bays. The tank is behind the panel that has the circuit board for the system, and is a little hard to reach; you will need a funnel with long tube on it to fill they system.

Be sure jacks are up and slides are in before checking or adding fluid. Once I checked the fluid level with jacks down, found it was low, added fluid, brought jacks up, and pushed about 2 quarts of fluid out of the reservoir onto the ground. Didn't realize the fluid gets pulled out of the reservoir when the jacks are put down and slides pushed out.

Here's a picture from the gallery of my hoses routed to the bedroom floor and the orange heat sheild over the couplings, on the last set -- last February. 15,000 miles and 100 nights and probably 50 extensions/retractions since then.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/2...m/IMG_7524.JPG

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote