Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

The good aaaaaand the bad!!!

First the good part, did about 350 miles today, rides and drives as advertised, not at all tired great coach. Very happy!!!!

BUT, I got a check engine light going up hill and the light would go out on the flat and downhill. I checked oil, trans fluid and topped off the coolant. All of the gauges read what I would consider normal. Started it up no light and on the road again! 1/2 hr later same light, driving 65, no loss of power nothing appears to be amiss. Stopped checked coolant all is well back on the road no light. A little later same thing.

I had a similar thing in my old MH and it was about a quart low on coolant and that set off the sensor. I unplugged the connector at the coolant tank and it didn't put the light out. When I plugged t back in I noticed the temp gauge started moving around from about 175 to about the 200 mark. It had been sitting pretty steadily on 200 the whole time and I had taken that to be normal. So now I have a temp gauge that works and a check engine light that comes and goes.

Any suggestions??? Thoughts??? Good wishes???

Did I tell you that I really like this MH

Oh yeah, we're in a KOA in Beaver, UT. Supposed to get to 31 tonight.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You don't specify year, make, model, engine make, engine model, electronic injection, etc. I assume it's an Alpine.

On electronic controlled engines, the Check Engine light can simply be a report to say that there was an error in exhaust emission reporting for a period of time. It may also be reporting that because exhaust emissions cannot be correctly read because of a sensor failure, fuel injection is being provided at default values, which may not necessarily provide optimum power or mileage, but will let the engine operate safely until you can have the issue resolved.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,
Since this is the Alpine Coach forum, it is known that the OP owns an Alpine Coach. His previous posts tell us it is a 2005 model.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What was the check engine light code?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

I have had the same thing - engine light comes on going up hills. I replaced the fuel/water separator filter. The filter was restricting the fuel flow. I suggest you enter your MH info in your profile. Good luck.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Ditto! You should notice some slight hesitations at first which gets worse as you keep driving. The greater the load the more hesitations you'll get and eventually start losing power.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #7

OK--lots of reasons for check engine light. Believe there is a way to get the Cummins ECM to "blick" the codes but suggest going to Cummins shop so they can scan it. It can gets kind of expensive to diagnose check lights with new parts...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies, I've made it from Idaho to Vegas on my way home to CA. I've been dealing with KOA wifi and a lack of computer skill so I haven't gotten around to posting my MH info or updating my profile. I will update things when I get home, but for now:

2005 Alpine

40fdts

400 Cummins

So far very pleased with the coach, I am really pleased with the operation of the brakes. I like the feel of the hydraulics, maybe its the pedal placement or just the car type feel. Aside from a few check engine light worries it has performed flawlessly. Tomorrow morning we will head out on the last leg of our trip home and then you guys are really in for it!!!

Thanks for all the help so far and I will be back picking your brains before you know it.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote