Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #1

I have the gen start set to automatic. I have the thermostat set to auto gen start on. I have the temp1 and temp 2 trigger "on" for the generator. It's hot today and the A/C is running. When the coach lost power, the generator did not start automatically. Does it sound like I didn't set something correctly or do I have a problem somewhere?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #2

I have the gen start set to automatic. I have the thermostat set to auto gen start on. I have the temp1 and temp 2 trigger "on" for the generator. It's hot today and the A/C is running. When the coach lost power, the generator did not start automatically. Does it sound like I didn't set something correctly or do I have a problem somewhere?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Monaco product with that feature. The Auto Gen Set Start Temperature (Setpoint) should be higher than the temperature that you would normally keep your coach. The Generator ONLY starts automatically when the temp gets above the setpoint irregardlass of the AC Line status. So.... if your setpoint is 80 deg. and your thermostats are keeping the coach comfortable at 72 deg. when the power went off it would take a while for the temp in the coach to exceed 80 degrees (and the genertator to start).
Old 05-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #4

I looked for a temperature control on the "Xantrex Automatic Generator Start" box, located behind the TV and there is no adjustment on it. Also, in the Xantrex book (P. 3-15) it says (for Temp1 and Temp2): "If you enable this setting, the generator will start in response to a signal from the thermostat. Everything related to setting the temperature at the air conditioning system must be done on the thermostat. There are no thermostat temperature settings on the Auto Gen Start or the System Control Panel".

On the thermostat, the AGS is either on or off... there is no separate setting for a trigger temperature. Also, in the Duo-Therm book for the thermostat (Comfort Control Center Part # 3109228.001) it says for AGS: Important: When shore power is available, AGS must be switched to the off position". Seems to me this defeats the purpose. The whole reason you want it on is if shore power fails, you want the generator to start.

I guess I need to call Duo-Therm and Xantrex and get educated.

I'm still welcoming comments. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our AGS is part of our Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger. It has settings for Auto Start based on High Intereior Temperature or Low Battery Voltage. I have tested this function on my coach just for the peace of mind that it is working properly and I can leave knowing that the generator will come on in case of a power failure. I agree that it makes no sense to turn the system OFF when on shore power, the whole idea of AGS is to start the generator when you loose shore power.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

We have same issue. In fact we're at the Elkhart Coach Care right now and will have them look at our AGS (they have an Xantrex guy here). Right now, w/AGS "on" at thermostat and AGS set to automatic, and we're hooked to shore power, when a/c starts, the generator comes on, ignoring the fact we have shore power.

As far as we can tell, there isn't any way to get the AGS to auto-start generator and run the a/c when you loose shore power.

Have you learned anything new?

Jim & Ingrid
2005 40 FDTS

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #7

I have used my AGS a number of times to auto-start when the batteries were getting low and to run the A/C when we're driving down the road and the temperature gets too high in the back of the coach for when we're stopped. Like cooling the bedroom down before we stop on a hot day.

My AGS has worked fine; it comes on and runs two hours and shuts down automatically, because I have it set of the two hour run after it starts.

I just set the therostat for AGS on both zone 1 and zone 2 when I'm not hooked to shore power and it starts.

I haven't had AGS on when I'm hooked to shore power because I couldn't see the need for it, so I can't help you there.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 AM   #8

Hello,
We had the same issue. The auto gen start would start the generator regardles of shore power if the thermostat called for cooling. We have a small dog and wanted the peace of mind when away from the coach on a hot day.
After talking with a Xantrex tech I finally got it right. Alpine never wired the AGS to recognize shore power. To do that there is a seperate control box mounted, on our coach, behind the panel in front of the passenger seat. The Xantrex control display is there as well as the DirecTV reciever, water pump control etc. You need to run a wire from there thru the firewall and back to the shore power supply. Locate a wire that is powered when connected to shore power and not powered when not connected. I bought a relay that closed when no power is present and opened when powered. The wire to interupt in the front of the coach is yellow or orange. If you want more exact instructions and part number and suppler of the relay let me know.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #9

I'd love to have more exact instructions and part #'s / suppliers. Thank you.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
RGB1111,

Great info. Thanks. We would love to have the exact instructions and P/N info, too.

Question: Does this setup prevent "backfeed of power" in the case when you were connected to shore power, lost it, and the AGS started the generator for the a/c to run? In other words, how do you ensure you won't electrocute the guy trying to fix the shore power problem?

Thanks again. We, too, have a pet and want to protect him should we loose shore power when connected and want the generator to support a/c until shore power is available again.

Brandywine
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I too would like more detailed info and instructions
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
We've just "discovered" the following situation and are wondering if anyone else has this issue:

1. Connected to shore power
2. Air conditioning is actually running not just set to run
3. AGS Mode set at the Xantrex = Automatic
4. AGS Mode set to "off" at thermostat
5. Shore power is disconnected

Result: Xantrex AGS Mode switches to "Manual Off"

Therefore, if you're gone long enough and your batteries need to be charged and the shore power remains off, the generator won't support battery charging.

Note: Under the same conditions EXCEPT all thermostat modes are off when the shore power is disconnected, the Xantrex AGS Mode stays on Automatic.

Brandywine
Old 06-02-2007, 03:41 AM   #13

In what year Alpine Coach did the AGS option 1st become available?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #14

I am on vacation for 1 more week. When I get home I will have access to the info I need. I will post a new topic about 'Auto Gen Start' with details.
Bob Brown