Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #29

Yup--looks like the one pictured above from my 03--atleast the outside of the unit looks the same--cant speak to what the inside looks like....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Old Scout. I appreciate the response.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
Since it is documented that it takes just about forever to get one of these fan control valves, I went ahead and ordered one to have on hand and it just came in. (about 3 months)

The Sauer Sunstrand part number is 533109857190

If somebody who has actually seen one of these rare creatures in person before could verify that this looks like the correct part, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Anybody have a source for this valve now? I need one asap!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 AM   #32

Check this info from last year Thermostatic fan control
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #33

Carv--curious--how do you know you need one? What are the symptoms you are attempting to correct?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #34

Thanks for the information. The initial concern was dash A/C not cooling. Pressures were extremely high so I checked condenser to find cooling fan not turning. Engine temperature was about normal @ 190 so I checked fan to see if it would turn. Fan was free and after I moved the fan by hand it started to slowly turn. I shut the engine down and went back later to see if the fan would turn on its own but it wouldn't. I got back underneath and tapped on the wax thermostatic valve and the fan took off running. I tried to clean it but that didn't help. So I capped the hydraulic lines and the fan runs strong and dash A/C pressures are back to normal.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #35

OK--just so you know--there is no interface between the dash A/C and your engine cooling fan so unless the engine is calling for cooling [via the wax valve], the fan will not run. Cant say what happened when you "tapped" on the valve but unless your diesel engine is overheating, and you havent said that it is, I dont think you have a very significant wax valve issue, if any. Said another way, even a new wax valve that is performing to specs is not going to solve you dash A/C freon "over-pressure" problem.
PS--there is a whole night's worth of reading about wax valves, dash A/C, after market by-pass solenoids and electric fan mods on this forum......
Old 06-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #36

My fan motor developed a bad hydraulic fluid leak over a year ago. I took it to Berenson Fluid Power based on Engineer Mikes recommendation. Berenson informed me that the motor and parts for the motor were no longer available. They said they could reseal the motor, but if that did not fix the problem, they would have to reengineer my fan system with a different motor and controller. They also said that would be very expensive. Fortunately, they resealed the motor and it fixed my leak.
Berenson also told me that the wax valves also often develop leaks and that they are only available from England and take about 6 weeks to get here. I decided to order one just to have it in case my valve goes bad. Of course, having a spare guarantees that my valve will never fail. Still, it gives me some comfort that I have a spare in hand that will probably appreciate in value over time.
I am still concerned about what to do if my fan motor fails. Has anyone had to replace their fan motor (that uses the wax valve controller)? Any information about alternative fan motor solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
So far no problems on our '01, but...
Why not an electric fan motor??

Frank
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #38

Frank,....."Why not an electric fan motor??" Do you mean as a aux A/C cooling fan, or as a replacement for the OEM engine cooling fan? The problem with an aux fan is the lack of physical space between the radiator stack and the outside grill. If your are talking as a replacement for the engine fan, you have to have some sort of electrical interface with the engine to monitor engine temps. The older coaches used the physical wax valve for that interface; newer coaches have an electronic interface. Know of at least one case where an owner managed to fit an electric fan behind the grill; others have actually moved the condensor coil from the stack; I continue to ponder the idea of adding a secondary, in-line condensor elsewhere with an electric fan activated off the dash A/C aux pressure sensor--but cant seem to work up the courage to tear apart the system to make it happen.
PS--always wondered why some older coaches with wax valves seem to have dash air issues while others dont--with no interface, the A/C system has to be experiencing periodic high freon pressure episodes.....
Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #39

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405297367.662503.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	687.3 KB
ID:	67786
I have this valve and don't need it
Is this the same as yours
Old 07-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepeed View Post
Attachment 67786
I have this valve and don't need it
Is this the same as yours
What is the part number? Can't read it in the picture.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #41

Sorry here is another picClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405339406.776708.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	725.8 KB
ID:	67819
Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #42

Date code 00 G 12
Type 553/1/0997/190