Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We've heard a thump/pop-like sound (usually in sets of three) coming from the basement a couple of times during the last week. It seems to be coming from the kitchen area floor. We suspect the inverter, surge protecter or water pump although everything is currently working fine. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions re: trouble shooting? Thanks.

Jim & Ingrid McIntosh

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We've heard a thump/pop-like sound (usually in sets of three) coming from the basement a couple of times during the last week. It seems to be coming from the kitchen area floor. We suspect the inverter, surge protecter or water pump although everything is currently working fine. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions re: trouble shooting? Thanks.

Jim & Ingrid McIntosh

Brandywine
Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Uhh.. Jim... Are you missing any pets??
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #4

Uhh.. Jim... Have you gained any pets?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #5

If the AC voltage goes on/off w/the thumping, it is the transfer switching on/off.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Rick & Ted,

Same number of pets...so don't think that is the problem...however, we did check for a new critter down below.

Engineer Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. Will let you know what we find out when it occurs again.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I have this happen on occasion. It is the coach settling on the jacks and the jacks slipping a bit on the ground. The sound is amplified as the jack "scootches" a bit to one side, since they are mounted slightly at an angle. I "caught" this happening when I noticed the wood blocks under my rear jacks had moved about 1/2" during the sound.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #8

My guess is the water heater trying to fire/re-fire. Might want to open the cabinet doors nearest and turn the switch on and listen.

Mine wil take a few times to fire in the wind.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #9

Only thunking I have in the basement comes from the vicinity of the Hydro Hot when it is running. Still haven't figured that one out.
Anyone have any ideas on this one?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
David,

I don't know if I would call this a thunking or not, but would depend on where it is happening. When the Hydro Hot first pumps hot water thru it's tubing, the tubing expands. The added length will cause noises, depending on how the tubing is installed. Mine makes noise when first starting up the bedroom loop. It only lasts about 5 - 10 seconds.
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #11

Dale, The expansion is now what I expect is my issue - I think as the tubes expand they're hitting something, like a tank maybe. I was taking a shower the other day and the burner kicked in and the klunk was right under my feet. Also another time, I was sitting on the bed putting shoes on and the dog was watching me from the bathroom area. Burner kicked on, a few seconds later the klunk and the dog swung his head looking straight for the shower area. I also notice that when I have the furnace off, I still get the klunk when the unit kicks in to start the basement circuit.
Now to crawl under and watch and see where the tubes may be hitting. Sound right to you??
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
David,

My noise comes from the tubing, between the bathroom sink cabinet to the heat exchanger in the rear closet area. This happens when the bedroom heating system starts up, from cold, with or with out the burner on.
Yours sounds like it is related to the burner starting. This could be from the fuel pump, stir pump, burner ignition or the FUEL SOLENOID. I would be most suspicious or the solenoid. The few seconds delay could be due to the fan and fuel pump starting first and then the fuel valve solenoid opening and the the burner igniting. It also might be from improper ignition in the combustion chamber, an explosion.
The installation manual shows mounting the whole unit on "Rubber Shock-Mount pads" which WRV didn't use. I had thought of adding some, but mine isn't that noisy and I like to know when the burner turns on.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #13

Dale,
Thanks for the info. One more thing to add into the mix - the klunking is not consistent. When it's real cold and I run the furnace and not the heat pumps during the day, there is no pattern as to when the klunk will occur. Sometimes it does on start ups, sometimes it doesn't.
If it were something mechanical in the HH box, i.e. solenoid, wouldn't the sound be from the HH compartment and not from under the shower area?
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
David,

As to "Sometimes it does on start ups, sometimes it doesn't" are you sure when the burner is firing up? It starts and stops by the temperature in the tank, not by the thermostat requirements.
I don't know how and where your HH is mounted. Noise could be coming from the shower due to sound transmission to the enclosure and/or thru the holes in the floor in the area. I get water pump noise from the water tubing connections to the shower valve and amplified by the rear shower wall. (haven't dealt with yet.)