Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #15

Doesnt explain excessive wear in 7000 miles but how often have you been greasing the front suspension/steering gear?

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Diane View Post
We also have the off centered steering column to the driver seat which we have not changed (approx 1" off). Our steering wheel was centered at 11 o'clock and this is what changed with the new drag link installation.
If your only problem is the centering of the wheel....no pull or irregular wear. The steering wheel can be centered by turning one of the tie rods out, and turning the opposite tire rod in.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #17

We grease the front suspension and steering and rear u-joints prior to extented trips, typically 4000 to 6000. Plus sometimes we to do it on the road.

Our problem was the play in the steering, the centering of the wheel was cosmetic.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

Wrv centered the steering wheel by changing it on the column. I am quite sure that all Alpines only have one tie rod, so any changes to it would change tow in. I would think that the easiest way would be by changing the drag link length.

My steering wheel kept changing where center was until I fixed the steering bracket, since it has held the same position.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
We did not consider centering the steering wheel with the seat to be a cosmetic thing - if your steering wheel is off set to the seat - your body alignment is screwed up and you will have excessive back fatigue. Steering wheel can be moved on the column and the seat moved over to line them up.

But to center your steering wheel so that it is at 12 o'clock - is what they do when they adjust the drag link. We have had ours aligned twice now - by Kaiser and by Hendersons - and they both were careful to get the steering wheel centered just as Dale said!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #20

Seat Position

SWANSNEST: My seat is definitely off to the left, have not checked the steering column. When they drilled new holes for the seat did they do it up at the seat or down at the floor? If I were to do it at the floor I am going to have an issue with my floor tile.
Interesting about the seat and column I thought I was the only one that had this problem.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Ted - We had the same issue with our '03 - It was a WRV design flaw. They redrilled the floor. Our Apex has tile in the front around the seats, and it "crowded" the tile - I don't remember if they had to cut any tile to move the seat 3/4" to the right. We had the tile completely redone last year in January so I can't tell by looking now. There are brackets on the steering column that goes onto the firewall that they moved 3/4" to the left. In doing this my seat and steering column are lined-up.

Having to lean to the right and sitting on the side of the seat was a bad driving position, adds stress on the back and causes exaggerated fatigue when you drive for 12 hrs a day.

With our '03 we were told it was impossible to move it - Well guess what? It was not and it has worked out well!
#75710.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #22

Tris- Who did the re-tiling on your coach?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #23

Off Center Seat/ Steering Wheel

2000 Alpine- I too felt my back pain sitting off center so... took the seat off (one nut), pulled the base plate (4 bolts), wielded a base plate extension (3 inches by width of plate), drilled 2 new holes, remounted. Easy job, about 2.5 hours. Perfect alignment with the 3 inch adjustment.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #24

With the seat moved several inches towards the console, does it still clear when rotated?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #25

Seat rotation

I will let you know. I do not recall if I did a complete rotation. I will check today and send you back a additional response. Thanks- Stan
Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry Rick - Haven't been on IRV2 for awhile - Keith at Guaranty in Junction City did our tile in a herringbone design and we like it very much!

#75710.