Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
When I was new at buying motorhomes, I thought IFS was important. After all, it gives additional freedom within the front end to reply to the challenges of the road.

I've owned 2 rigs that had IFS that were all over the road. I've driven a third that wasn't impressive (a country coach that was not very steady with its lane position). I'm anxious to see if Jones can beat the solid feel & tracking of the Alpine solid front axle setup with his iteration of IFS.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
For those interested in a bit more information on the Powerglide chassis, I found the following video interesting. I also posted a link to the brochure with specs if anyone would like to compare features.

Powerglide contruction video

Powerglide specs

FWIW, when we ordered our Bus, I ordered it on the Spartan MM GT chassis as the Powerglide was just being released. We're thrilled with Spartan, but in the meantime, I've not heard anyone dissatisfied with the powerglide and if I were to order another one, I'd probably order it.

Joe & Shelly, Justin, Tyler, Alyssa | Butler PA
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP|Cummins 425|Honda CRV
Joe-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Hello Mike:

I saw the Tiffin Chassis at the Pomona RV Show. They completely changed the position of the steering gear box. Let me see if I can explain how they did this.

First the chassis is an independent front suspension using a double wish bone A arms. The steering box is located at the center of the front suspension on its side with the pitman arm on the bottom connected to the tie rods using a bell crank.

The steering shaft from the steering wheel goes down to a 90 gear box located directly under the steering shaft. A second drive shaft (About 3 long) runs from the 90 gear box to the steering box in the center of the front suspension.

I hope my explanation make sense. I did not have a camera or I would have taken pictures.
Tiffen is currently using two different front end suspension/steering on their Powerglide chassis: on the 40' Allegro Bus, they are using the ZF front end, which includes the integrated steering box as mentioned above. I have it on my 010 Allegro Bus and the steering is terrific. It has the feel and feedback of a fine car. On the the 43' Allegro Bus, they are using the Tuthill front end, which has a whole different steering arrangement, using a TWR (I believe) steering box. Both front ends are rated at 14,600 lbs. I had the Tuthill arrange on my previous coach with a Sparten chassis, and I can tell you that the ZF front end has much better sterring and tracking. On the other hand, the Sparten Chassis has areas that are better the the Powerglide; the location of the chassis batteries on the Powerglide seem impossible to replace, and the location of the two fuel filters, while easy accesable, places them in an exposed location in the rear, where mine are already rusting after being driven for only a month in two minor rains.
captfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Seems to me that when we get ready to go newer...Tiffin will be our choice..

But that is a ways off
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
Yep, us too! I like this coach more each time I have to drive it in a wind. I dont like the Hyd Brakes, other than that, it's now working just like it is supposed to so my anger at WRV has abated. There is a Tiffin dealer just down the street, and tomorrow we will go look at them.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
I lost track a long time ago of the number of times I've heard motorhome buyers caught in the old "no that's the chassis maker's problem so talk to them," followed immediately by " oh no, that's the house maker's problem so talk to the coach assembler." Buying from a maker who does their own chassis kills that excuse game real quick. You see this all day on the Winnebago and other forums that the coach maker uses a chassis made by others.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
"Whats left to buy?"

Smart Beds.
E-Mike...I have to ask...just what is a "Smart Bed"?
*MonacoMama with the 2 Pins & SacsTC Nearby*
*2007 Monaco Diplomat 40' SFT<>2006 Chevy VortecMax Toad<>2006 Buick Lucerne Leading the Way*
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Newmar Owners Club

Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
E-Mike...I have to ask...just what is a "Smart Bed"?

"Smart Beds" were a Western RV (Alpine Coach) exclusive design for basement storage. Instead of having a door that opened... and then a slide-out tray, the "Smart Beds" are an electrically-operated single unit. The door panel is attached to the slide-tray... so the whole thing slides out at the push of a button. No handles. No door (up-and-down or east-west or Pantographic). Just a smooth panel that slides out with the tray.

2005 Newmar MADP
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote