Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

Time is up...and I still can't find a Master Cylinder part number for a 2000 Alpine..

I'm out of time and desperately need a part number for a 2000 Alpine Master Cylinder.

I've read dead end search results for hours...surely I've over looked it, but I just can't seem to find the information.

I have the 1.75" Master Cylinder up grade part number for the later model coaches (thanks to Old Scout)...but am not positive it is interchangeable...and can't afford the time loss to experiment. No one has changed it on the older Alpines as far as I can tell ...and they have different calipers (sliding pin two piston).

Does ANYONE have or know where to get the OEM master cylinder part number for the 2000 Alpine...???

Any help is desperately needed.

All the best

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #2

The 1.75" cylinder w/integral tank won't work for your app, you might be able to use the cylinder itself & swap the tank out for your plate. However your brakes will then be pretty touchy w/the increased stopping, and will feel squishier at the pedal if the total experience translates similarly to the latter model rigs.
Photo in post# 36 in this braking improvement thread shows the "plate" for remote tank mount used in 2003 and earlier rigs, photos in post# 13 show the integral tank mount option.
See links at post# 38 in that thread for outfits that can provide the earlier master cylinder assembled w/the plate; click on Brake Master Cylinders & scroll/page thru options. The 2" will have 50.8mm on the casting, 1.75" will have 44.45mm. Item may say Bosch, Bendix, or Oshkosh or a combination; these have been used on forklifts, tractors, etc. When I bought mine, the guy in FL had to assemble it from parts. Your MC may be this one, tho the pic says 44.45 the text says 50.80. Call them to confirm.

You can see the review on this Amazon MC item, a 2004 owner commented on braking improvement going from 2" to 1", but again, that sku comes w/the integral tank, its 1.75" 44.45mm.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the help Mike...I couldn't find that part in the thread again...because I wasn't sure what thread I had seen it in after searching so many of them.

I do have a "real" part number for the master cylinder for the "remote reservoir "application. This from Bendix tech help and is definitely correct.

It is: part # E13588022

Maybe we can get that in the sticky Tech notes somewhere....it only took me a week to find it...lol!

Only problem is I haven't been able to locate one even with the correct part number yet...!

One other point of interest...the sliding pin calipers in these early Alpines have fairly common various applications...and the squishy feeling in some instances is due to the caliper flexing slightly.(or spreading).

He said that was mostly noticed in RV's...probably because of the heavy weight and the very strong hydraulic powered pedal assy.

I take it that you don't necessarily think that the 1.75" MC would be all that good of an idea for the early coaches ...right?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

If the tech help's statement about flex is in any way real, I'd recommend NOT going to the 1.75 on pin slide calipers.

Here is an E13588022 for a mere $845!!!!!
Another for $494
I suspect the outfit I mentioned in post#38 above would build you one (that's where I got mine, and the guy had to assemble it from parts, and he knew about the plate option which he shows in various configurations on the website).
Old 05-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Stan, here is the info for my MC OEM replacement, 36FT Alpine 2002. I purchased a new one from NAPA for about $400. Confirm the casting number is an exact replacement.

Brake Master Cylinder, Hydro Max Type Booster OEM# BX2234933. My coach had casting #2239045.

http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com...X-BOSCH/Detail (not sure what the 807 means)

It appears there are several versions of the OEM #, several different casting references, and what appears (untrained eye), add on manifolds.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #6

Hello Bernie..

I can't open that link for some reason.

My master cylinder number is too pitted to read all the numbers even with a pencil tracing...BUT... I do think these numbers match your numbers (223?04?) In fact I "guessed" that the fourth number was a 9 by the tracing (just wasn't 100%). So am thinking we have the same master cylinder.

Are your calipers, 2 piston sliding pin calipers...or 4 piston calipers? I was thinking 2001 was the last year for the two piston calipers like I have.

...and do you have another link for the part.

Thanks very much for the help...
Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Sorry...
BRAKE MASTER CYLINDERS - BENDIX - powerbrake-drivetrain

I came across this link when searching by the casting number. Also gave NAPA the casting # and they x-ref to their number. Think theirs was P8593 or P8519. Take the advice in previous post, purchase a new MC, not refurb. It apparently is a popular MC, even used on older K1500 Chevy trucks. Various attachments To the MC for each use. Since I was broke down in Manistee, Mi, more concerned with exact replacement.

IIRC from the posts, 2001 and older on the 2 vs 4. I follow the post to make sure I don't get ripped off during servicing.
BernieS
Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

10-4 Bernie...new it will be if I can find one like mine.

Is your brake system a 2 piston or 4 piston caliper set up?

Thanks...Stan...
Old 05-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

Not sure about the caliper set up. The wine storage area, adding fuel and water to batteries is my extent. I have the coach regularly serviced/checked and have not had brake issues other than MC failure in a remote area. The resevoir is remote. The coach has 162K miles, heading North for the summer.

Bernie
36FT 2002 FDDS, 350 Cummins