Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Question Tire Monitoring w/Silverleaf System

We have the Silverleaf monitoring system including the tire sensors for our Apex and Toad. On a trip last week fifteen miles from leaving home our Toad had a catastrophic tire failure on the passenger rear. Yes, Chuck checked the tire pressures right before we left in addition to having the tire sensor readings. We happened to be kind of watching the tire pressures on the monitor at the time of the failure and Chuck noticed the tire alert go to red w/the exclamation mark through it. He pulled over as soon as he saw it; however, there was no audible alarm. We had incorrectly assumed all of this time, that an audible alarm would sound. WRONG! Unfortunately, one can't drive staring at that screen all the time.

Luckily, the aluminum wheel was a little scuffed up but we did not require a new one. The tire was completely wrapped around the hub and had to be cut off. Fortunately, a young man on his way to the lake turned around and came back to help us change the tire. Luckily again, it did not damage any brake or air lines on the 2005 Envoy.

Disturbed that there was no audible alarm, I called Silverleaf and was told to check that the trouble monitor was on as that controls the audible alarm. It is in one of the "hidden screens". If I recall, you push the drive and scan buttons simultaneously and find one to set configurations. You then make sure the trouble monitoring is set to yes. When into the hidden screens, I was reminded to be extremely careful in changing any settings.

After we did that, I could hear a faint alarm that went off for a short time. We know that we could not hear it going down the highway. My point is, does anyone know how to increase the volume of the alarm or how to hook up an amplifier to it. Again, we have the Silverleaf monitor on the dash that came on the Apexes as well as probably on other models. I plan to call Silverleaf again to see if they have a solution but thought some of you may have encountered the lack of audible notification.

I don't like to think about what could have happened had Chuck not noticed the small red warning light. Needless to say, we have four brand new Michelins on our Toad now!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #2

I have never heard an alarm. I have been told it will switch to that screen if there is an alert. I have only had I alert in 6 years and it was on my toad and noticed it before the tire went flat. I have had a few yellow caution alerts usually on a front tire due to heat on hot days. I tend to glance at the screen quite frequently, but a loud audible alarm would be nice.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #3

I have the SmartTire gauge, not silverleaf, and the alarm on it cannot be heard when driving. Maybe I can reroute the audible signal thru the Bose amplifier and crank it like a rock concert.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
eMike:

Let me know if you find a cure. I have the flush 2" gauge and as long as I have the road music low, I can hear it. However, since it seems to be constantly giving yellow cautions (defective sensor) I've learned to not even notice it.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #5

takepride, The Silverleaf display must use yellow differently. My system turns the individual tire icons yellow from green if a tire reaches a preset temperature or hi or low pressure. Or are you just saying you have a few bad sensors?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
All - Silverleaf tire indicators do the following at least on our rig they do.

Startup unit - all tire indicators are red and no pressure indicators present.

2-4 minutes - All tire indicators go to green and have numbers in them indicating pressure. The system will stay in the green and display numbers under normal operation.

Caution - The indicated tire will go Yellow, happens a lot in the summer after a long breaking action on the rear wheels or if we are traveling in very hot weather. The disc brake assembly seems to heat up the tires even though the tires themselves are cool. This happens a lot when going down hills. The BH gives me heck for going so slow, but I just tell her that if we somehow lost control because of hot brakes, the end result could be worse than going down the hill and everyone passing us. I always am safe instead of in a hurry.

RED - This happens when the temp of the tire has reached a preset high temp or is in imminent failure mode. Pull over and check the indicated tire – CAUTION – the tire is very hot, so I would go have lunch, take a hike, or do a few things for a while before I went outside to look at the indicated tire. The reason is simple, the force of that tire exploding is very high when hot, and the force of that explosion can blow your arm or leg off, and kill you. So let it cool down before you mess with it. The tire shop would not go near it until it had cooled down, so be as smart as they are.

My silverleaf has never sounded any audible alarm for any system which is not working correctly. I know this because the charging from the alternator was not operating correctly this past spring, and I never got any alarm. The ACTICA dash did however beep at me and flashed a warning about it. I jiggled a few wires and got to where we were going, and then did some wire tighten operations, cleaning off the terminals and making sure the proper ring terminal was used. This fixed the problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #7

My silverleaf acts similar except the tire icons are blue until they report in. Mine cycles through each tire and displays pressure and temp. One at time. I have only gotten a red icon once and that is when my RR toad tire was going flat. It still had 10PSI when I got pulled over.

My software version is probably quite a bit older because I installed my Silverleaf and Smart Tire in October of 2004. It has never been upgraded.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I guess I should have added my Tire monitoring system is not hooked up at the toad end. Tires are only year old. I put them at the max pressure rated for the tire before we leave home, and check them weekly.

Also I also should have mentioned my SL also rotates through each wheel/tire position about every 2 seconds or so, outlining the one it's reporting on in the display.

I had the brakes fluid flushed last fall. I am wondering if the calipers are sticking when we use them going down the long hills since that seems to be the only reason my rear tires give me a warm/hot condition.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
My question is: What temperature constitutes a Yellow or Red Alert? Yellow: "Hey, watch his tire temp. Red: Aw Sh__, it's about to blow."
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
My question is: What temperature constitutes a Yellow or Red Alert? Yellow: "Hey, watch his tire temp. Red: Aw Sh__, it's about to blow."
Basil,

Your question has been raised before. See this link:

TPM rear antenna location?

In that link, I replied:

"I have the Silverleaf Monitor - with SmarTire system for both my 2006 Alpine Coach and a Jeep Grand Cherokee toad. The programming that you need to set the temperature and pressure thresholds is done using the Silverleaf system via the J1708 interface to the SmarTire system. The SmarTire web site does not advertise the needed manual for downloading. However, it is available through a back door. I think Silverleaf and SmarTire had a falling out years ago, so I guess Silverleaf doesn't openly acknowledge them now. When I called Silverleaf for this manual a few years ago, the very helpful technician posted the manual on his web site and told me what Web URL to use to find it. The link for the manual is:

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com...e%20Manual.pdf

This manual tells you how to access the SmarTire programming with the SilverLeaf monitor and how to set the Yellow and Red thresholds. You will need to decide at what temperature and pressure you want a Yellow or Red alert to appear. It is entirely up to you to decide. "
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne:

I purchased the flush-mount 2" dash gauge. When one of the tires start going South, the entire face flashes yellow. If the tire hits the South Pole, it will (reportedly) turn red. The receiver module emits an alarm, but since my receiver is behind the PS dash panel, it's a bit muted.

The regular system uses a surface mounted indicator box with flashing LEDs. I believe those are green, yellow, red, etc.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
WOW!!!!! - That link to the manual is great. I will send a copy to Engineer Mike so he can add it to the library. I never saw that information before. Great Job!!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #13

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale777 View Post
Basil,
This manual tells you how to access the SmarTire programming with the SilverLeaf monitor and how to set the Yellow and Red thresholds. You will need to decide at what temperature and pressure you want a Yellow or Red alert to appear. It is entirely up to you to decide. "
I was curious what settings others were using. I have YELLOW set at 155 degrees. Too low? I suspect road surfaces can be near that in summer. I have RED set at 165 degrees but don't know at what temperature a tire starts to break down.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
I was curious what settings others were using. I have YELLOW set at 155 degrees. Too low? I suspect road surfaces can be near that in summer. I have RED set at 165 degrees but don't know at what temperature a tire starts to break down.
Basil,

These thresholds have been discussed before. See these links for some ideas on setting the thresholds:

Hot tires!

Tire Temps - whats okay?

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote