Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #1

what tire pressure is appropriate for a 2006 34 Alpine. Just returned from a trip and felt that tires were transfering a lot of road vibration to the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #2

what tire pressure is appropriate for a 2006 34 Alpine. Just returned from a trip and felt that tires were transfering a lot of road vibration to the coach.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In most cases you should get your coach weight, with full fuel,LP,what ever personable items,food and the amount of water for toilet use. After its weight go to MFG tire charts and find the air pressure you will need to carry your weight. You may find you have to much air and less will soften your ride.
Welcome to irv2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
My FAVORITE subject. OO7 is right, you need to weigh the coach. I run 95 in the front and 85 in the rear of our 2000 36. But you really need to weigh each corner first. Here are some links to PSI and load capacity charts. Pay carefull attention to the load ratings, i.e. "G" or "H". You probably have "H" load range on your 34 .

Click on the "Tubeless 15 degree drop center rims 8"-12" for PSI chart for non metric, (11R22.5) and click on "Metric Radial truck tires for sizes like 295/75R22.5 ect.
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...load/index.asp

Click on RV tires at the top and drop down to load inflation tables.
http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/hom_us.jsp

Below are links to RV tire info, and some very good videos.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...r/RvVideos.jsp

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...g/rv/index.asp
Old 05-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #5

As of out PDI last August, they were sending coaches out w/the full rated tire pressure, i.e. 120 on all 4 corners.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Wow, that's 24K lbs capacity on the rear axle, if those coaches are still running 295/75R22.5. about the same with 11R22.5's. 13,220 lbs on the front axle.

Front axle on a 34 grosses out at 13K so that's about right if it actually weights that much. Rear axle grosses out at 20K so 90PSI has a load capacity of 20,480 with 11R22.5's.

So Jerry, weigh the coach, all four corners and adjust accordingly.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I have always set my pressure after finding the actual weight on each axle and using the tire mfg's chart + 10lbs for good measure. Since then WRV sent a notice stating not to run pressure below the ratings on their sticker, which on my 02 is under the nose cap above the fuel filler. Their rating is based on their weight capacity rating on each axle from the tire mfg. chart.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:11 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EngineerMike:
As of out PDI last August, they were sending coaches out w/the full rated tire pressure, i.e. 120 on all 4 corners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it was the Toyo tires - Toyo insists that their tires be inflated to the max rating regardless of coach weight. They even sent a technical bulletin out to owners stating this. We obey their directive - there must be a reason.

Audrey
Old 05-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #9

I'm with you Audrey. I have Toyo tires and run 120# in the front and 90# in the rear, per Toyo's sticker.

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:03 AM   #10

As with all American Corporations Lawyers trump engineers all the time. While still believing in The Great Pumpkin, Easter Bunnie, and Corporate Ethics (not); after recieving the Toyo bulletin I went to 3 tire stores (carry Toyo Products) for guidance. Their "off the record" comments was they'd weigh the RV and fill accordingly but that since most folks do not check often enough low pressure was a risk for "very low pressure" especially when travelling through zones of temperture and altitude (pressure) changes. And they all said: with the lower pressure (in rear duels) the sidewall bulge restricts cooling air flow between tires; lower pressure bigger bulge, less airflow more heat build up. All three felt idiot proofing (full rated pressure) = lower Lawyer involvement.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:57 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
A tire, passenger or truck (RV) is designed to flex in a particular area of the sidewall. Proper air pressure for the load keeps the flex in the area of the tire it was engineered for. To much pressure (PSI) for the load increases ride harshness, reduces flex, and makes the tire more suseptable to bruising from impacts, and increases the footprint pressure causing uneven wear . Too low air pressure, and it causes heat from excessive flexing , uneven wear ect.

So running at max pressure regardless of the axle weight may keep the Lawyers away, but, won't do anything to help your ride and handling, and likely the longevity of the tire.

BUT, I would never tell anyone to ignore the recommendations of the coach and tire manufacturer. My counselor told me to add that .

I can understand at PDI the PSI is at 120. They, WRV, don't know how many kitchen sinks we are going to load into our coaches .

1. Tires should be checked cold, less than 1 mile of driving. Once hot the pressure can rise 15 to 20 percent.
2. It will take 3-4 hours for a hot tire to cool.
3. Tires (truck) can lose up to 2 PSI per month. Low cost import tires can lose up to 7 psi per month.
4. Air pressure is the same with jacks down (reduced weight on the tire or the tire off the ground) or the tire fully loaded. I know, us Alpiner's are not to lift our tires off the ground with the jacks.
5. Only air carries the load, not the tire. A "G" or "H" load rated tire carries the same load at 100 psi.

I'll get off here.

There is no Easter Bunny