Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nssracer View Post
I local tire dealer recommended the Bridgestone R250 ED. $572 a tire installed. Any thoughts?
Prices must have really skyrocketed, I paid $512.xx for 275/70 22.5 Michelins about a year and a half ago. And just over $600 for 305/70 22.5's at the same time.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #16

there were 2 MAJOR price increases (for all brands) in 2011 and another in the early part of 2012...based on what the tire dealers told me when tire shopping this spring.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Sort of OFF TOPIC:

OS point is valid, and I believe it's also a smart idea to take a Truck Driving Course, (many schools have a abbreviated course for RV owners, the only exception is air brakes, as you should take that part if your coach is so equipped – very few alpines have air brakes) just to learn how and why the recommendation is there. I took a CDL course for work, and every time I drive the MH, I remember many of the points we learned in that class. I cannot stress enough how driver training in one form or another can help you driving that MH you own. I know that knowledge has saved my life more than one time, in just making me think more defensibly. AARP or your insurance company can point you toward a Defense Driving course near your location, you will get a driving discount off your insurance, and you will I promise will learn something you used to know but forgot. You cannot assume the other driver knows what they are doing, you must assume the worst, and govern yourself accordingly. Always yield, even when the law says you don’t have too. Our size is not necessary going to protect you from an accident, (see my thread on vehicle lost tire) when over half the people on the road 30 years old and under are talking on their phone or doing a text. Some states are considering mandatory driving testing at 70 years old, if your state of residence has such a law, I suggest you take a driver training course prior to that testing. I think their is a driving school in the Vegas area which is world renound and its recommended by the experts, I don't know the name of that class operator.

FWIW - Last year was the safest year on the road as less people died in vehicle accidents in over 30 years, so driving is getting safer, or, more people are staying at home because the price of gas is too high. Don't know for sure which the reason is, but vehicles “are being made safer” now, than ever before, so an accident which would have killed everyone before, now many folks walk away or are not hurt as bad as before.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
there were 2 MAJOR price increases (for all brands) in 2011 and another in the early part of 2012...based on what the tire dealers told me when tire shopping this spring.
Tires take a large amount of oil to produce, so the tire prices, especially big tires like truck and RV tires, are heavily dependent on the price of oil. I can't remember if the dealer told me it took one or two barrels of oil for each truck tire.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #19

The Bridgestone tech folks recommended the 250F tire for the RV rather than the 250ED. They indicated the ED is extra heavy duty cut and tear resistant compound, more of a pickup and delivery tire bersus the 250F which is for interstate travel miles. Both tires have the same sidewall protector ribs.

Anyone have comments on this input I got? Trying to decide myself between the F and ED.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Tire manufacturing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Tire making process. Lots of discussions on tires in this forum, do a search.

I personally like Michelins because my life is riding on the tires, and have had excellent results in the 45 years I have been using them. Fireston (Bridgstones) has had some hickups over the years, and have used lawyers instead of in my opinion owning up to the plate and taking blame where blame should be held. However, if you take the above link, and check the "companies" link lower in the article, you will learn a lot of things you might not have know about tires and who makes them.

Remember, the only thing keeping you safe in your car/truck/rv or whatever is the brand of tire you use, how you personally take care of it. Those two things will determine how long it lasts and if you have trouble or not. Some of the trouble is who makes the tire, I want the best tire I can afford, and I know it will age out long befofre I use up it's useful life.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #21

I am not asking a general question I am going to get Bridgestones and am interested in why some shops recommended 250 ED versus 250F which the Bridgestone corporate technical folks recommended to me. I jwould appreciate input on this particular question
Old 05-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ever hear the old saying..... Penny wise and dollar foolish? Good safe tires are part of a motorhomes overall safety. Tires are going to last the average RVer at least 5 years. That is 1825 Days. That is about 28 cents per day per tire. If you go 7 years, 2555 days. That is about 19 cents per day per tire. I don't know about you, but my families safety is worth every penny. If you saved a hundred dollars per tire it would only be a couple of pennies a day saving over five years. I've tried other brands, Toyo, they had a rough hard ride, were noisy and i only saved 100 bucks a tire. Course after 3000 miles switching back to the Mich's cosrt me double. I learned a lesson. If todays MH builders could save 100 a tire and maintain the ride and safety of their MH you gotta believe in this market they would jump on an alternative tire. do you think freightliner or spartan chassis mfg would like to save a few bucks on tires? but, would the coach mfg purchase a chassis with other tires than the so-called standards? At the Tampa Supershow the only tires I saw on MH were either the Mich or in a very few cases goodyear. good luck, safe ride, buy the BEST ......ed
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetar
The Bridgestone tech folks recommended the 250F tire for the RV rather than the 250ED. They indicated the ED is extra heavy duty cut and tear resistant compound, more of a pickup and delivery tire bersus the 250F which is for interstate travel miles. Both tires have the same sidewall protector ribs.

Anyone have comments on this input I got? Trying to decide myself between the F and ED.
Jetar,
A few of reasons that the ED might be better:
1. If your driving is shorter distances.
2. If you avoid freeways and love to bend the coach through the corners. Upsetting the cupboards and DH
3. You typical trips include lots of turns and curves..
4. You drive over curbs......no matter what that is a no no!! :-)

The ED is designed for as they say p/u and delivery. Stop and go in town.

The 250F will be fine if you don't fall into the above categories..
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #24

Thanks for your reply to my question. I get so tired of lectures!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry about the DH, I meant DW!

You are welcome.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #26

I bought the Bridgestone ED. I like they way the ride. The tire shop sells them to alot to RVers.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #27

Jetar--

I'm with Tom; I think the F is better if you're over the road a lot, but the ED certainly does the job well, as nssracer said. And, if you've read my previous threads I've pushed Bridgestones a lot, especially over Michelins as a better tire for this application, due to my brother's many years in the truck/bus tire business, including Bandag recapping a lot of those tires. They always paid more for used Bridgestones than Michelins to recap because they casings held up better, the tire mileage was longer and they just had fewer problems down the road.

I really liked the Bridgestones on the coach (especially over the factory Toyos) and think you are making a good decision. I think there's a lot of difference between Bridgestones on heavy truck/bus applications vs. car and light truck applications. I have had plenty of both brands on cars and pickups and I agree Michelin is a great brand, and my favorite on the car. Not so on the RV.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
After having my coach wrecked by a tire failure from a car driver, and knowing what tires have had problems on cars, being recalled by the manufacturer or the government, I am going to buy Mich's when it's time, and that is my choice. I don't care if I drive 10 miles a day or 10,000, those are the ones I going to use. And this is not a lecture, it’s a personal opinion. Know too many folks who have them on their MH’s and have not had one bit of trouble, because my life and the BH’s life is directly tied to them.