Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #1

Tire question

We have an 2001 '34 Alpine with brand new looking 10 year old Toyo tires on it. We are planning a trip to Texas and want to replace. Does anyone know anything about Thunderer brand made in Thailand. Les Schwab carries them and they are a very good price compared to Toyo replacement. Savings of close to a thousand dollars. Our coach is stored indoors so the tires look brand new but know that age is critical factor no matter the wear. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
BuddyCat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

I had Les Schwab in Missoula MT replace my front Goodyears with new 225/70R/22.5 Falkens, about $300 each installed, I just drove right in under their huge 'barn', along side a huge semi-truck and trailer carrying some huge(!) irrigation equipment, also getting some service. They had me in and out in about 30 minutes, with balancing beads included...

I'm also having a local tire shop do the same for my 4 rears next week...
Falken RI-150's.... about $300 each, installed
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At ten years your tires are definitely in need of changing for a new set.

Never heard of the Thundered brand. I think I would stay away. Especially if a grand less than Toyo, which are usually well priced.

Last time I bought tires I gave Les Scwabb a shot at earning my business. They just wanted to sell me what they had in stock - and to get the deal done today. They told me a lessor load range, what they had in stock, was ok for my coach - its not... So I went elsewhere.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I personally never go cheap on tires or brakes. They are the only things that keep me going and stopping. They protect the things I love. I get the best deal for Michelin tires through FMCA.

Just my personal opinion.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

The only thing between your vehicle and the road are the tires. Don’t go cheep. The extra $1,000 is like insurance. Get name brand tires. Toyo or Michelin are good tires. Very few negative posts regarding Michelin. Why do you think most manufactures put Michelin on all there new models?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

FMCA offers a discount on both Michelin and Continental now. In the past year I saved about $100 per tire for Continentals which I prefer. This puts them in the same price range as a lesser known brand.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Join FMCA and get the benefits, tire discount, travel insurance alone pay back the dues.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #8

BuddyCat

My coach came with old tires with no wear; still looked new. I looked at the FMCA/ Michelin program and decided against it. I believe I got a better deal through Point S Tires.

I found a local trucker who was happy to pay $150 each for my outdated but barely used Goodyears and I was delighted to have $900 to offset the cost of new Hankooks.

Gene
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #9

Also not familiar with Thunderer. We're running Yokohama 11R22.5H tires that were $425/ea at Les Schwab 2 years ago.

I agree with the recommendations of avoiding the lowest cost, unknown brand.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote