Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #1

I will be replacing the tires on our 38 foot, 2000 Alpine coach. Current tires are Goodyear 314 which came new on the coach. Goodyear indicates these are trailer tires and would not install on a motor home. I have had good service with the Goodyear tires. Any reason to change brands? I am looking at the Toyo tires that have given good service on our pickup which pulls an Alpenlite Augusta. I am not looking for the least expensive and feel good tires are a inexpensive insurance against road problems.
Rod
J R Sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #2

I will be replacing the tires on our 38 foot, 2000 Alpine coach. Current tires are Goodyear 314 which came new on the coach. Goodyear indicates these are trailer tires and would not install on a motor home. I have had good service with the Goodyear tires. Any reason to change brands? I am looking at the Toyo tires that have given good service on our pickup which pulls an Alpenlite Augusta. I am not looking for the least expensive and feel good tires are a inexpensive insurance against road problems.
Rod
Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Rod,

I like the Goodyear's that came on our '07 better than the Toyo's that we had on our ,02
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
My '03 came with Toyo tires and I thought they were great - until I switched to the Goodyear tire made specially for motor homes. It runs a lot smoother; 'sorry I don't recal the model #, but it's the same one on all of the later Alpine rigs.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #5

I too like the Goodyear G670-RV tires on my 08 better than the Toyo's that were on our 06. They are quieter, which is worth a coupla bucks to me. They are 295/80R22.5 size, and supposably are made with UV resistive compounds in the sidewalls for the longevity motorhomes typically have for our tires (to last longer since MH tires are frequently replaced for age rather than mileage).
Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I just got a quote from Pucell Tire in N. Las Vegas on the Goodyear RV670'S 6 tires, new stems mounted and spin ballanced for $3552.00. this may be less depending on the casings of the old Toyos for retreading. FYI

2002 Alpine Coach 34 FDDS
Wally & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Yup, if your tires are still serviceable and not too old, remember to ask for a casing allowance. Depending on the need for sizes you should get $50 to $75.

It is a tank of fuel .
Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
OK. I quit being lazy and looked up my receipt. I paid Les Schwab as follows:

six goodyear G670 @ 295/80
spin balance
tubeless metal valves
trade in @ $600
siping
alignment
install labor for Koni shocks

Total with tax + $2315.52

I must know somebody?

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #9

Thanks for all the information. I will stay with the Goodyear brand and series as noted in your responses. Current tires will be 7 years old in December. Dealers say no value because of age.
Thanks again for a great forum.
Rod
Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Then keep one of the old ones for a spare. Heard from another MH owner, that if you have a spare tire (not wheel and tire-just the tire) the company who comes out can just change the tire and get you on your way. If they have to tow you in, or bring out a tire with them, you get to pay what ever they want. Since the tires don't have any trade in value, put one in your toad to have as a spare. you would just limp in to the brand of store you purchased from or a company store if Goodyear, to get the adjustment. Nice Insurance.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J R Sprague:
Thanks for all the information. I will stay with the Goodyear brand and series as noted in your responses. Current tires will be 7 years old in December. Dealers say no value because of age.
Thanks again for a great forum.
Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you considered Craigslist? They can be used as semi trailer tires and the value would be dependent on tread left. I asked $75. each for 6 year old tires. They were to old for the dealer to take.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:48 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Aged tires with tread left are also of value to local use vehicles, like trash trucks.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #13

If you are in the NorCal area, I can use a coupla tires for a pal w/a water truck in Mexico. Tires last forever there, so age is no issue
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #14

Here are a couple of additional thoughts--just having had the experience of a blow-out: 1) most road side tire services will gladly sell/install a no-name tire on the side of the road to get you on your way--less than $275. Chances are you can get 50-75% back on trade if you immediately switch out to what you want at first opportunity. {never get towed except as a final option] So, I wont carry a stinky old spare around for $150. 2) Prices are on the rise but some folks have gotten decent deals on Michelins recently--I went with GY G670s and am satisfied. 3) Tires like the G670 and others are coming in an R80 profile, most trucks use R75s--so little or no opportunity the next time around for trade-in on a carcass.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote