Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #1

My tires are now about 6 years old. So looking for recommendations for what brand to replace them with and what dealer to use in the San Diego area. Thanks for any information you could share.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #2

My tires are now about 6 years old. So looking for recommendations for what brand to replace them with and what dealer to use in the San Diego area. Thanks for any information you could share.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #3

I don't have a dealer to recommend in San Diego, but I'm going to replace my Toyos with Bridgestones based on the advice of my brother who has many years retreading big truck and bus tires with cold (Bandag) retreads. He says that Bridgestones have the best casings with the least damage when it comes time to retreading them, which in his view also says they just have fewer tire failures.

He was also a Goodyear dealer and says even though a lot of the new Alpines have Goodyears, if he was replacing them, he would put on the Bridgestones. With 40 years in the tire business, I'm taking his word on it.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #4

FYI, at the factory there was a display for Toyo's (OEM) tires and they were around $235. Each, that's cheep! I burn thru $1500.00 worth of tires in one weekend in my Race car. Let us know what you find for the Bridgestone's.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
HELLO & WELCOME GANDL2:

I would like to welcome you to IRV2 and the Alpine Form. I replaced the tires on my Alpine at Pete's Road Service. They have locations through out So Cal. They carry several different name brands. They have a store in Escondido just north of San Diego. I know that if you check the yellow pages for commercial tires you will find other dealers in your area that will have tire that will fit your MH.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #6

I would add to the previous message that my brother, the tire man, said if he couldn't get Bridgestones, his second choice would be Michelins.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #7

Well so far I have gotten two quotes for the six tire replacement. Both quotes are for using Goodyear G670s. The quotes ranged between $3300 and $3500 including mounting, balancing and old tire disposal. Is this high?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I was quoted $3437 (out the door) for the same. The dealer (Goodyear) also recommends Bridgestone, based on what most people are asking for. They are a little bit cheaper.

Importantly, he says to make sure a big truck tire center does the balancing as most tire stores use the same machine to balance all tires and the big tires are more accurate on a truck-tire balancer. The smaller balancer gets it close, but the larger one gets it right on.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 AM   #9

Sounds high to me. I just had 6 G670's installed for a total of $2431.70 Cdn., excluding any taxes. If you are in the USA I would think you should be able to get it for less than $2200
Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I just purchased 6 Goodyear G670s 295/80R from LesSchawb in Junction City OR.

$2698 including mounting, balancing and old tire disposal. By purchasing in Oregon I avoided paying sales tax.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #11

Got a quote from a Bridgestone truck tire dealer today. Price for a set is about $2500 mounted, old tire disposal and the use of a product called "Ride On" instead of lead balancing. The dealer said that "Ride On" will balance the tire, help maintain the air pressure in the tire and act as a sealant for punctures. He also said to consider Yokohoma tires. Price for a set of those would be about $2050. Any thoughts on "Ride On" or Yokohoma?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #12

I would stay with Bridgestones and use lead balancing. I am not big on puncture proofing because it's hard to repair a tire that has most off this kind of stuff. That said, I don't know about The "Ride On' particular stuff and would be interested in other's opinions. Perhaps this internal balancing system works better than lead. We haven't had a balancing issue in 20,000 miles on our Toyos, but we keep them aired to 120 psi in the front and 110 in the rear, as Toyou recommends.

Tires are a very important piece of your coach and you don't want to experience a front tire massive blowout at speed in traffic if you can avoid it. So my view on Bridgestones first or Michelins second still stands.

By the way, what size Bridgestones did the dealer quote you?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ottawa:
Sounds high to me. I just had 6 G670's installed for a total of $2431.70 Cdn., excluding any taxes. If you are in the USA I would think you should be able to get it for less than $2200 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are these 19.5" tires?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldForester:
I would stay with Bridgestones and use lead balancing. I am not big on puncture proofing because it's hard to repair a tire that has most off this kind of stuff. That said, I don't know about The "Ride On' particular stuff and would be interested in other's opinions. Perhaps this internal balancing system works better than lead. We haven't had a balancing issue in 20,000 miles on our Toyos, but we keep them aired to 120 psi in the front and 110 in the rear, as Toyou recommends.

Tires are a very important piece of your coach and you don't want to experience a front tire massive blowout at speed in traffic if you can avoid it. So my view on Bridgestones first or Michelins second still stands.

By the way, what size Bridgestones did the dealer quote you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Bridgestone quote was an average for the R280 or R250- size 295/75R22.5. The R280 is about $15 more per tire than the R250. The website for "Ride-On" is http://www.ride-on.com/