Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I'm considering replacing my original Toyo's with either Goodyear or Michelin.
Which size G670's most closely match the Toyo...275/80/22.5 or 295/80/22.5?

Which Michelin model is the best fit?
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I'm considering replacing my original Toyo's with either Goodyear or Michelin.
Which size G670's most closely match the Toyo...275/80/22.5 or 295/80/22.5?

Which Michelin model is the best fit?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #3

Jerry and Judy ~ not sure on the size conversion from your Toyo's, but I can tell you we went with the Michelin tires Pilot XZA1 all the way around about 7 months ago and 8,000 miles...and we are very happy with them.

Additionally, I would highly recommend having the ceramic balancing beads added when you are getting your new tires put on regardless of which one's you decide to go with. We did and the ride is perfectly smooth all the time!

Here is the site we got them from: www.innovativebalancing.com

There is a thread in the Alpine forum that discusses some of the other types like powders, glass beads, steel beads ect...but all those are effected either by moisture or rubbing together and eventually disolving. The ceramic beads are impervious to water and do not wear out. Amazingly, I got all 6 tires done with beads for under $100 when I ordered direct from the web site. Just took them along with me and watched the guys toss the little bags into the tires as they were mounting to the rims.

Also, you might consider filling your tires with nitrogen, rather than the normal air. This too has been discussed quite a bit...some saying it will not make any difference...some saying it makes great sense. I like the idea that it keeps tire pressures from fluctuating while traveling. I got mine filled for $15.00 per tire at a place I located using this site: http://www.getnitrogen.org/sub.php?view=getTheFacts

The innovativebalancing.com site has a page dedicated to the use of Nitrogen and illustrates its benefits pretty nicely.

Anyway, no ugly weights showing, no worries of lossing any so it got my vote and happy with the tires, beads and nitogen combination.

BTW...noticed you are in CA...but a call to the tire guy we used might help you with some pricing as he seemed to be pretty connected and although he's in Phoenix, AZ...you might visit now that the summer is nearly over and grab a good deal on some new tread! My contact was:

REDBURN TIRE COMPANY - Jack
2339 Country Club Dr.
Mesa, AZ, 85201
480-962-0435

Best of luck and miles of smiles!

Eusefull
Eusefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:12 AM   #4

I sold tires for 10+ yrs. and all though there is much contraversy Michelin is truely your best riding tire. as to balancing again many different available options keep in mind that most of them work best at higher speeds so low speed you may still get some vibration. the best solution is to combine one of these methods along with a static balance where your weights are in the inside of the rim only. GOOD LUCK.
RVRONINPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #5

Rule of thumb:

The 1st 3 numbers are the width of the tread in millimeters (25.4mm/inch).
The 2nd 2 numbers are the "Aspect ratio", meaning the % of sidewall height as related to the width.
The 3rd numbers are the rim size.

So:

A 275/80/22.5 tire will have a sidewall height of 220mm/8.66". This, times 2 plus the rim diameter of 22.5" puts the total diameter at 39.83"(125.1" circumference or 10.43 feet/axle rev).

A 295/80/22.5 tire will have a sidewall height of 236mm/9.29". This times 2 plus the rim diameter of 22.5" puts the total diameter at 41.08"(129.06" circumference or 10.76 feet/axle rev).

You'll have to do the math to see what size most closely matches the Toyo size you are running on now.

Hope this helps.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #6

Jerry - A year ago I was trying to get the 670s to replace my Toyos and found the 275/80s to be almost an exact size (diameter) replacement but ended up getting some other tires because the Goodyears had a lengthy waiting period. Cost was also about $150 more per tire but I probably would have paid it at the time if they were available.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #7

Jerry,

Goodyear has size conversion chart that might be helpful to you. Try this link:
Goodyear size conversion chart
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #8

Jerry, your 05 would be best equipped with the G670 295/80 Goodyear tires. thats what the factory is putting on. The benefit of these tires is they are rated at 1000lbs more carrying capacity than the Toyos and are easier to come by than the Michelins. There is plenty available here in Eugene because Country, Monaco use them as their primary tires.
Lindsay
Lindsay Hargett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #9

After changing tire size (diameter) come see me if you want your spedometer recalibrated. Supposably that feature is in the Cummins diagnostic software, which I bought along w/the proprietary pigtail required on the engine diagnostic port.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
EM, I've always wanted a proprietary pigtail. Does it oink when you pull on it or when you plug it in?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:00 AM   #11

Jerry, only when you pull it out.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 AM   #12

For what it is worth, I recently replaced the original Toyo 295 R75 tires on our 2003 with the Goodyear G670 295 R80--they dont make an R75???. Anyway, I didnt appreciate the difference the modest change in aspect/size would have but the speedometer is now off by about 2-3 MPH and I am about 100 RPM slower at 65 MPH. Think the change in RPM with the 400 HP engine is fine--may even be helping mileage a bit too--but the change in MPH is modestly irritating.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #13

Is the tire size on Alpines common in the trucking industry? I have heard of stories where a motorhome needs a new tire and there are none to be found for miles.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,

See the post from Engineer Mike on Page one of this topic about having the speedometer recalibrated.

Tom,

Yes they are a common size, but not necessarily a common brand. When I had a tire need replacing on the road, the repairman got me a good used tire, same size different brand, to get me home.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote