Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #1

Anyone else have shoulder wear on their front tires. We had the allignment checked last week, it is fine. They said may be a weight balance issue. Any thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #2

Anyone else have shoulder wear on their front tires. We had the allignment checked last week, it is fine. They said may be a weight balance issue. Any thoughts.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:42 AM   #3

I have the same thing on front tires (Toyos) even though I have religously checked and maintained the tire pressure. The letter from WRV last December basically told us to ignore what was cited in our owner's manual and referred to the notice from Toyo that was attached to their letter. I have weighed the coach by axle and passenger and driver's side individually and using Toyo's calculation the number is a great deal less pressure than what I had been keeping the tires at (100 psi). When I spoke with Toyo they threw me back to Alpine.

A fellow Alpine owner totalled his coach and toad two months ago outside of LV -- hot spot on his Toyo tires. He replaced it with an Allegro Bus and will pick it up tomorrow.

I know this isn't much help but if you can get some input on this issue I would appreciate knowing it.

REgards,
Granny
Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #4

Granny, I don't know the length of your coach, I have a 2005 34' Alpine w/ Toyo tires. Recommended pressure in them is 120# fron and 90# rear.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Cedar,

Usually there are two causes for edge wear, wrong air pressure and a mechanical problem, balance or alignment. Another problem could be misapplication if you recently changed your tires. To much air pressure will cause edge wear by not letting the entire footprint of the tire contact the road surface.

1. Are the tires the original Toyo's?
2. When they checked the alignment did they check the chamber too? Not just toe in.
3. Have you weighed the coach? All four corners to determine the proper PSI ?
4. We will assume that they checked for loose or worn front end parts .....tie rods, pitman arms ect..
5. Is the wear like a river on the outside rib, meandering back and forth, or does the outside rib have small 1"-2" flat spots, particularly only in one location on the tire?

I ran out our set of Toyos on our 2000. I replaced them when they reached 6 years of age. We were not the first owner and they had only 35K on the tires. I never had a problem with wear or failures.

If the tires are still good I'd rotate them to the back.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #6

Cedar41,

Do you have Toyo tires? On my 2001 Alpine Coach 38FDDS, I had Toyo tires that had significant shoulder wear on the outside edges well before it was only 2 1/2 years old and had about 30,000 miles. Many others with Toyo tires also had significant shoulder wear on the outside edges. If you do a FIND on "Toyo" on this site, you will find lots of comments. I also had a Toyo tire blow out on my 2001 coach, just as many others did. Do the FIND on "Toyo" to get other comments.

Dale
2006 Alpine Coach 36FDTS
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #7

Tom, item #5 "wear like a river" would indicate what ?

2009 Crossroads Zinger pulled by a 2013 Chevy 4X4 Pickup. R.I.P. Kendall 3/17/2011
Two Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
The "river" is actually raised with more wear on both sides of the outside rib. River wear is not caused by tire or mechanical problems. It occurs mostly on vehicles that drive long distances with out a lot of scrubbing.....turning, corners, mountain roads. River wear is a "normal" wear pattern.

If I can find a picture of river wear, I'll post it.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 AM   #9

Tom & Patty, at this point I have not had any tire problems at all. Things, as we know, change. I would be more than interested in any and all pictures that you have on different types of tire wear.

Thank you.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #10

Ted & Carol,

I have a 36" FDSS. After reading the new posts I realized that most of my driving is curvy, mountain roads. I am second owner -- 1 1/2 yrs old when I got it and tires looked brand new -- now l l/1 yrs older (20K more miles) there is definite wear pattern.

As the tires are designed "D" and "S" can they be rotated?

Do you know does NHSTA maintain a log of number of accidents caused as a result of these tires?

Thanks for all the info,
Granny
Old 10-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Wow Ted, 120 psi up front. That coach must ride like a buckboard wagon . I run 95 psi on my 36 FDS.

At 120 psi, assuming 11R22.5 "H" load range, your gross axle weight capacity is 13,220. Your coach is shorter and wheelbase is different, but I'd be surprized if you are grossing 11K up front. We are grossing 10,200.

Talk to you all later. Wwe are going to rough it this weekend . No power, sewer, or water, parked right on a river beach

No WiFi.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #12

Tom & Patty, hope you enjoyed your trip. In reference to my tire pressure I received and I am certain many others did also a letter from WRV and Toyo to inflate our tires to exactly what the tag shows on the motorhome. Mine is located in the generator compartment below the fuel fill. Truly the motor home does not seem to ride that hard but then again I am certain that at 90-100 PSI it would have to be softer. Any suggestions.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #13

Had to throw in my $0.02. I have the Toyos and had anticipated some problems after reading this forum. So far so good. We have 19,000 mi so far with no problems. During a very recent check at my mechanics, he noticed some wear on the outside edges (not scalloping), but said that was normal wear for a truck/RV used on curving roads and surface streets. His only recommendation was to be sure to get new tires at the 5-6 year point due to sidewall deterioration and to rotate tires from rear to front at midlife. He also thought premium tires (Michelin) were a waste of money as you have to ghange them out every 5-6 years anyway.
It is my understanding that the tires are designated "S" for steering and "D" for drive.
Steering tires on the front and Drive tires for the rear, so I don't understand how rotating from rear to front would work out.
As to pressure, I have followed the WRV recommendation of 120 in the fronts and 110 in the rears although my actual weight allows for somewhat less. So, being lazy, I will air them to the WRV rec and then check them before each leg of a trip. I can then let them "leak" down to the actual weight pressure before draging out the compressor and hose.
In addition, I read somewhere that the tires should be stored off of asphalt/concrete, etc. as the rubber will absord the moisture. I bought the least expensive plastic cutting boards I could find at Wallmart to park on.
Although I check my tires before each leg, I have not lost a pound of pressure on any of the tires for the last three trips! No, my guage is not stuck. OK it was $0.25 worth.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #14

Tom- Seems there oughta be a tire wear/problem pamphlet available (maybe online?)? Are you aware of such?