Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #1

On my 5th wheel and previous trailers I always stored my sewer drain hose in a 4" diameter perferated PVC pipe suspended below the trailer. I liked that location and method as it got plenty of air and the hose was always dry when I next used it.

The closed storage tube on the Alpine prevents any air circulation and the hose stays wet for days and probably harbors all kinds of bacteria.

I opened the passenger side compartment where the holding tanks are located drilled a 1" hole through the undercarriage floor and another through the end of the storage tube.

I then glued a 90 degree elbow on a 10" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and glued a 1 1/2" long piece of pipe in the other end of the 90. After pushing the pipe through the floor hole I shoved the end of the short piece into the hole I had made in the end of the storage tube. I then trimmed the pipe extending below the coach floor to about 1" and glued a 45 degree fitting facing foward to the pipe. The 45 will act as an air scoop when I'm moving and force air up and into the storage tube and the downward angle of the 45 should drain and rain or road water I pick up.

I then drilled eight 1/2" holes in the hose storage tube's door (in the service compartment) so air can pass through the entire length of the tube.

Now the hose should dry and I don't have to worry about all he not-so-healthy culture growing in the constantly wet hose.

While I was in the tank compartment I noticed that WRV had about a 2" diameter open ended furnace heater hose terminating in the compartment.

I know it's intended to keep the tanks and lines from freezing but I felt an open 2" hose was excessive and the compartment already gets heat from the main storage bays via a 6" X 12" electrical cutout, so I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom of a plastic pill bottle, which snugly fit inside the hose, then synched up one of the plastic cable ties to hold the bottle in place.

Now I should get more heat in the bathroom and other vents o that run.

Harold
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #2

On my 5th wheel and previous trailers I always stored my sewer drain hose in a 4" diameter perferated PVC pipe suspended below the trailer. I liked that location and method as it got plenty of air and the hose was always dry when I next used it.

The closed storage tube on the Alpine prevents any air circulation and the hose stays wet for days and probably harbors all kinds of bacteria.

I opened the passenger side compartment where the holding tanks are located drilled a 1" hole through the undercarriage floor and another through the end of the storage tube.

I then glued a 90 degree elbow on a 10" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and glued a 1 1/2" long piece of pipe in the other end of the 90. After pushing the pipe through the floor hole I shoved the end of the short piece into the hole I had made in the end of the storage tube. I then trimmed the pipe extending below the coach floor to about 1" and glued a 45 degree fitting facing foward to the pipe. The 45 will act as an air scoop when I'm moving and force air up and into the storage tube and the downward angle of the 45 should drain and rain or road water I pick up.

I then drilled eight 1/2" holes in the hose storage tube's door (in the service compartment) so air can pass through the entire length of the tube.

Now the hose should dry and I don't have to worry about all he not-so-healthy culture growing in the constantly wet hose.

While I was in the tank compartment I noticed that WRV had about a 2" diameter open ended furnace heater hose terminating in the compartment.

I know it's intended to keep the tanks and lines from freezing but I felt an open 2" hose was excessive and the compartment already gets heat from the main storage bays via a 6" X 12" electrical cutout, so I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom of a plastic pill bottle, which snugly fit inside the hose, then synched up one of the plastic cable ties to hold the bottle in place.

Now I should get more heat in the bathroom and other vents o that run.

Harold
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #3

Harold,

I just wanted to say I read your post and completely agree that the design of the storage pipe for the sewer hose is goofy at best. I was very surprised to see no ventilation or drain on our '98 but chalked it up to the first year production design fault that WRV would correct in later models but apparently that wasn't the case. Anyway, since I don't have the time right now to do it "right" as you did I just drilled 5 - 1/2" holes in the cap at the end of the tube on the upper section. This doesn't exactly drain the tube but at least there is some air circulation to help dry out the compartment.

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
C & H,

Now you can find a new use for that tube..maybe long, skinny tools, awning rods, you name it.

Polychute
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
C & H,

Now you can find a new use for that tube..maybe long, skinny tools, awning rods, you name it.

Polychute
Yikes! $149 + shipping for a sewer hose?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ON my Damon Intruder there was on hose storage.. I bolted a length of six inch PVC (NOTE use flat head bolts (The kind with the square shoulder on them) and make sure the bolts go from INSIDE the pipe to OUTSIDE the pipe so there is no bolt sticking into the pipe) to the frame rails.. Since I had to have a way to shove the bolts up I drilled holes below them.. I stuck the elbows in those holes (As you describe) and it works.. Much like you describe.. I store two hoses that way and one more in it's "Self storage" tube (That hose came in a tube)
Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave and Jamie....

Yes, that reaction was mine too- then after a lot of questions, I bought one + the extention.

Drew
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #8

On my current 5 er and on my last Jayco designer series they had factory installed sewer hose storage. On the Jayco it was in the storage compartment with it's own hatch on the outside with a 4 inch PVC pipe about 3 feet long inside attached with plumbers tape to the compartment ceiling. It was too short to house a 20 foot sewer hose. I took off the inside cap and extended it all the way to the other side of the compartment, caped it, and shortened the tape holding the 4 inch PVC so it ran downhill to the compartment hatch allowing the wet hose to drain.

On the current 5er, there is a hatch on the lower skirt of the trailer 4 feet forward of the sewer outlet. The hatch opens and inside is a long sweep 90 and then 3 feet of perforated PVC. This also is also too short to house 20 feet of hose. I couldn't understand why they installed it there. 4 feet back and directly above the sewer outlet, the hatch could be installed with 7 feet of PVC instead of only 3. I removed the PVC and elbow and bought another hatch for 12.00$ and installed it where it should have been to begin with and put in a 7 foot run of perforated PVC, a cap, long sweep 90 elbow, running downhill to the hatch and drilled the cap to allow air circulation. Now, no stink, no wet moldy hose, and no problems. I always fit my sewer hose compartment hatch with a plastic toilet roll dispenser tube to prevent the hose pushing on the hatch door and it popping the door open loosing your hose on the road. Just drill 2 3/8 holes in the top and bottom inside of the plastic hatch, clear of the door so it still closes and the expandable toilet paper roll fits perfectly holding the hose inside the tube. You can buy an inexpensive, plastic, spring loaded, toiler paper roll for 1.99 at any hardware store and never again lose your 20$ hose and your 12$ clear plastic bayonet fitting. I even store mine in the tube with the clear plastic bayonet fitting permanently attached to my hose. I learned that trick after loosing 2 hoses and fittings on the road in one season.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote