Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:55 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to ggbanks
For those who have TOYO TIRES or I guess another kind on your coach, the new bulletin I received from WRV says there is a Tire Information Placard (Certification label) on the motor home. Mine was on the gen-slide bulkhead by the fuel fill. It tells you the GAWR, Tire size & Inflation Recommended for front & rear tires. Another location might be on the wall by the drivers seat. Yours is somewhere on the coach by law. It's a starting point as to what tire pressure to begin with until you get each wheel weighed for exact lbs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #16

Why are people going away from the Toyo tires? I recently went to the Les Schwab tire store in my area and they really pushed putting Toyos back on when I buy tires in a couple weeks. They recommended the M147's.

shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:07 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Toyo is a good 2nd tier product with good technology. M147 is a long haul steer tire. In my opinion it is not the right tire, the M143 would be better. Look at the new Goodyear it has a solid outside rib, Michelin XZE ..solid outside rib ect.

I chose Bridgestone/Firestone for a few reasons: they are a great company to do business with, and I liked the design and tread depth of the R260.

Wow that's a big picture ! Looks like I'm partial to Michelin
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #18

I went down to the local tire dealer today and looked at the M147 again. This is before the last post so I didn't get a chance to look at the M143. The outside groove on the M147 is actually on the sidewall, kind of interesting. They said they have had excellent luck installing the M147 on RVs. On the other hand the Toyo M127 has an outside groove very close to the tread edge. They have not had good luck with it on RVs to the point they do not want to install it on RVs anymore. My reluctance about going to Firestone or Goodyear is that I have not had good luck with them on pickup trucks. I realize the RV is a whole different story. I was seriously looking at Michelin for my RV but was steered away by a couple tire dealers with the same concern; they do not like to be loaded heavy all the time like in a RV application. More data, I have a month to make a decision.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Steve,

You are right the groove on the Toyo is on the side and will work better than the small groove in the tread(anti-erosion, decuppling groove, ect.). It is just my opinion that we don't need steer tires on our coaches. Not everyone drives like I do, but winding roads and sharp turns really work the outside shoulders of the tire. You want some beef there and cutting a groove(on the side or in the tread)causes more tread squirm.

I think the concern about Michelins is coming from the smaller profile tires, like the 235/80 and 255/80R22.5's XRV's. Those tires are just too small for a full size RV and do not have a very large envelope for air. I park next to a new Monaco 38 footer and it has the smaller tire on the coach, our Alpine's tires dwarf the Michelins in size(large envelope of air). Consequently, in the smaller 22.5's a little loss of air, or poor maintenance, has a great PSI reduction, and a large loss of load capacity .
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> they do not like to be loaded heavy all the time like in a RV application </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Over the road trucks run Michelin's, Bridgestones, Firestones, Conti, Toyo, General, ect. carrying 40 tons, 13K plus on the front axle. An RV doesn't get driven like a tractor trailer, 10 to 12 hours a day at 70 plus mph! I'll think the salesman was looking for more profit or a spiff on the sale of a different tire, or didn't sell those brands.

They are all good. I'm done for now.

There are people here on the forum running M147's and I believe that they like them, and are experiencing good wear too .
Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #20

Tom, Just curious- how do you torque your lug bolts? I don't pack a lotta horsepower personally & 475 ft.lbs. is a big stretch, so I bought a 3.33x torque multiplier and 2' torque wrench so I only need to pull ~72# if I can turn the multiplier against the ground, or maybe stand on the extension & pull up.
I figger from the industry you may know a trick or 2.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #21

Thanks for the feedback Tom. You may be right on about the Michelins. The dealer does carry them but they are much higher price. By the way the absolute best tire I have run on any of my heavy duty pickup applications is Michelin by at least a factor of 2. They ride great, have outstanding tread life (75K+) and have not been suseptible to UV weather checking. I load them heavy at times with a pickup camper or 5er. I will buy another set of Michelins if I ever wear the current set out, 7 years life so far.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:14 AM   #22

EngineerMike, Did you get Smart Tire on your rig? If you did, what is your evaluation of the system so far?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #23

Nope. Missed that toy on the checklist.
I've ordered pressure-indicator caps from RVUpgrades.com (105 front, 95 rear), and when I stop, I do a walkaround w/the infrared temp gauge hitting the tread/sidewall shoulder for a check. I also stop @ all trucker brake checks & do tire heat check under the theory that downhill swervy road sections would be a bad place to have an "issue," especially if it was announcing itself.

Vicariously, SmartTire seems to be a near perfect device for locating a stuck brake. Tire temp monitoring, as discussed elsewhere, is an imputed oversight and not a direct relationship. I haven't seen any reports of a tire temp problem being pre-warned by ST; have seen one of an unannounced blowout; that, however, is a small data pool so far & means nothing. Tire pressure monitoring would be handy from the cockpit; ST seems to do that nicely.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

I torque my lug nuts with a 1" CP impact and a guy named "guns" who is in a lot better shape than I am. Seriously, I have a dealer do all my tire work. I'm on the wholesale distribution side only. So when I drop by for new air , I have them check the wheels. But, I don't know anyone who goes back after 50-500 miles and gets the wheels re-torqued.

I stop and feel my hubs all the way around.

I'll add Smart Tire when I have the money , especially since we are towing a little PT with low profile tires. I can check the air on our PT tires twice and the pressure drops 1/2 pound, so just like the small 22.5's I have NO safety margin. I don't want to stop one day and find 1/2 of a wheel on the car because I didn't catch a tire losing air .
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #25

Tom, Thanks for the info. Reason I asked- we leave for lower Baja in 3 weeks, and there's no Auto-Club to call south of Ensenada. So I need to be equiped to deal w/a tire emergency if one presents. I can get a tire to a service outfit & back to the rig, but will have to R&R the thing my lonely self.

Usually if you get to 1/2 of the wheel, you get the middle half (don't ask how I know; not pretty). Some poor guy, towing thru Idaho, had a similar experience few years ago but the tire caught fire as is disintegrated and spit off burning pieces into the grass as he drug the toad along a forest highway. The state hit him w/the fire fighting bill (millions). Hope he had good insurance. I just had 1/2 a wheel, two sidewalls, and an animated trucker waiving me down.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #26

Tom - I don't remember seeing anything on Cooper tires in this discussion. My front tires were replaced with Cooper CXMT 340s a couple years ago because the Toyos were run low on air, causing damage. The Coopers seem to do just fine but now I am wondering if they may be less than nominal since I haven't seen any vergiage coming out of this thread. Any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
I recently installed M147s on my 2001 34'. So far, they're wearing evenly -- but it's only about 5K worth of experience. BTW, I run 110 psi front and 90-95 rear.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #28

What kind of driving have you done with the M147's, highway or winding 2 lane which is where the previous post said there might be a problem?