Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #29
Alpine Owners Club

Wow--I'm not used to such quick responses!
The brief answer is "Yes". And to correct my earlier post, it's been just shy of 10K miles since the tires were installed (on the steer axle only, of course)in May this year, because the OE front tires were wearing funny. I had the front axle aligned at the same time. The mileage included a trip to Atlanta (mostly interstate highway), to Wisconsin (ditto) and to FMCA in Minot (both kinds of roads). It also included a trip to Silverton and Ouray, CO, which certainly would qualify as windy two-lane. The handling is excellent; but then, it's always been.

Franklin & Dessa
2001 Alpine 34 FDDS
Tow a 2014 CR-V
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #30
Alpine Owners Club
Hello Shelland:

I put Toyo 147's all the way around and have about 8000 miles on them and have driven windy two lane roads and 4 lane interstates and the Alpine handles great. I run 110 lbs in the front and 95 in the rears.

Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #31
Thanks for the replies! I need to buy tires before we head south in a couple weeks. I live in Bend, OR and my local Les Schwab dealer has pushed M147s from day one. I need to replace all 6 tires and they recommend the M147 for all 6. They also recommend puting in the balancing beads over adding weights to the rims. I have had a bad experience with the beads on a previous motor home but they claim that has all been solved. I check tire pressure every time we move and the old tires would leak at the valves. I don't want that problem again. Anyone know if they have fixed this problem?
Steve and Marsha Helland
Macy&Sara (Mini Schnauzer&Schneagle)
2000 Alpine 36FDS
shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:43 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club

Be sure to get new valve stems installed when you get new tires. It's best to stay away from the long valve stem on the inside dual, or hoses. All are suceptible to road debris.
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:36 AM   #33
I have '98 36FD and got 80,000mi on my front tires and 100,000mi on the rear. I now have 111,000 on coach since new and replaced fronts with Toyo M120 then rears with Toyo M122 on reccommendation of Les Schwab dealer. I don't understand everybody replacing so many tires when I suspect none of you have my mileage. I weigh the coach about every six months to be sure of each position weight and to be sure I've not gotten out of balance. Frequently a closed weigh station has a display readable from outside. I weigh front only then rear only. I then go back over scale for right front and right rear. Unless you are an amazing pack rat, your coach will not weigh anywhere close to maximum weights. I carry 85 on front and 70 on rear. This is what charts specify for my ACTUAL weights. I have no slides so most of you will be somewhat heavier but still not close to the 105psi load levels for your tires. Alpine's lawyers tell them to inflate to max weight level, not the tire engineers.
George Weiss Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #34
George - I suspect heat, low humitity, and UV rays (ozone to some degree) are the primary reason for replacing tires more often than you do. I have never worn a set of tires out but have had to replace due to cracking sidewalls. Even though I keep them covered from the sun, they still dry out and crack, especially when I don't drive them much. Tires need to be driven to help keep the rubber "alive" and plyable. Those that replace frequently are probably like me and don't put many miles on their rigs each year.
'01 Alpine 36 FDDS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #35
Thanks to all who provided meaningful advice to my original post.
I replaced the original Toyos with Michelin XZE 275/80R/22.5 (O.D. 40.2", T.W. 11.1"-which is very close to original tire specs), Load range 6175 @ 110, using Equal balance and nitrogen inflation (105 lbs front, 95 lbs rear). On our first trip with them they were quiet and handled well on snow covered roads and interstates in West Virginia.
Happy New Year.

PhilSusann is offline   Reply With Quote