Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 AM   #1

I am considering replacing tires on our 2000 coach with Front Michelin XZE Steering 11R225 16 Ply Load Range H and Rear (Dual)Michelin XDA-HT Drive (closed shoulder) 11R225 14 Ply Load Range G. Any thoughts?
Will the higher profile tires affect leveling?
Thanks for your input.
Phil & Carol
PhilSusann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 AM   #2

I am considering replacing tires on our 2000 coach with Front Michelin XZE Steering 11R225 16 Ply Load Range H and Rear (Dual)Michelin XDA-HT Drive (closed shoulder) 11R225 14 Ply Load Range G. Any thoughts?
Will the higher profile tires affect leveling?
Thanks for your input.
Phil & Carol
PhilSusann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #3

The speedometer (actually the engine computer, ECU) is programmed for the OEM tire diameter unless it has been reprogrammed to a new size. You can have a competent tire shop (most Michelin franchises should be able to do this) reprogram if you are going to a different circumference tire.
Might want to consider the newer Goodyear RV tire that WRV is installing on new coaches as well. I hear good reports on it.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Phil and Carol,

Tires, my favorite subject . Why do you want to put drive tires on your rear axle?

XDA HT is VERY high tread and not really suited to the coach. XDA HT is for over the road trucks with twin screws (2 drive axles).

XZE is a good choice, the Goodyear that EM recommends too. Also look at Bridgestone R260. I just replaced mine and all are 14 ply. Stay away from a tire with an antiwear(decoupling groove) on the outside shoulder, especially if you are more apt to drive 2 lane roads than freeway.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:30 AM   #5

Interesting. The dealer put Firestones all the way around on my 1999. It looks like they put 100 lbs. pressure all around too. They did this for free so I was in no position to dictate which tires to put on, but I wonder how good/suited they are to the RV? Should I get the four corners weighed and adjust the pressure accordingly?
thanks
denwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #6

Tom - You can't just throw out verbiage like:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Stay away from a tire with an antiwear(decoupling groove) on the outside shoulder, especially if you are more apt to drive 2 lane roads than freeway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
without explaining. What is an antiwear decoupling groove and what has it got to do with 2 lane roads.

<sub>Edited to remove flaming content.</sub>
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry, I should have said winding two lane roads with lots of curves and reduced speeds that you might negotiate at or slightly above the suggested speed. You know the Alpine. This type of driving is suited for an all position tire, (high scrub application). Interstate roads long straights, no tight curves...steer tire.

A steer tire (pictured left)normally has a small groove at the outside edge of the outside rib. This is to help prevent irregular wear. Most long haul trucks use this kind of tire. The problem IMHO with a steer tire on a MH is that the decouple groove(anti-erosion rib) is subject to tearing in tight turns, filling with rock and dirt from some RV sites ect.
If you don't travel winding roads frequently and aren't in dirt or rocks very often a steer tire might be ok. Patty and I on the other hand travel winding roads with lots of slow curves, Hyw 12 in Utah, Colorado 2 lane mtn roads and roads in Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP and Sierra Nevada mtns. These are high scrub roads. (All positon pictured right)

Denwhit, I was going with the Firestone but decided I liked the "looks" of the Bridgestone and deeper tread. The deeper tread might be a detriment, but time will tell. Since I'm in tire business I decided to test them. Go ahead and weigh the coach, won't hurt. 100 in front sounds OK but 100 in rear is probably too high. Again only by knowing the weight on your front and rear axle will you be able to determine the proper pressure.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to ggbanks
Tom, Why is it that the rear tire pressure is less than the front? What problem could the same pressure in the rear as the front cause? Is it a softer ride? I have been running 105# in both front & rear.
ggbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:36 AM   #9

Tom, thanks for the advice. I'll get her weighed. Incidently, it looks like our coaches are the same color. Yours is the only other blue one I've seen.
denwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff and Linda,

Here is a link to load inflation tables at the bottom of this reply. The second choice from the top is for 11R22.5 and the third choice from the top is for metric 295R75.225. this will tell you what the minimum air pressure is to carry a specific load. I run my tires around 10psi higher than my heaviest corner of the coach(per axle). My rear axle weighs 16,800. I carry 80 to 85 psi in the rear. At 80psi the rear axle could weigh 19,540.
So, this is only my opinion...105 is a bit high. A lower pressure will give you a better ride and possibly better wear at the shoulders of the rear tires. Most members on this forum will probably tell you they are running lower air pressure in the rear tires.
BUT ALWAYS check your tires COLD, before driving evey day. And when stopping for fuel or a rest check'em hot. PSI will be higher, but you will know you haven't developed a leak. Opps I'll get off my soapbox.

Denwhit, ours is the teal color. We have never seen another one, even at Toppenish. Post a picture and add to your signature if you would like where you are located (My proofreader will not like that last sentence) .

Here are the Michelin videos that are a must see if anyone has missed them before.
http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...rv/RvVideo.jsp

load inflation tables
http://www.trucktires.com/us_eng/technical/index.asp
Old 11-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tom, thanks for the advice. I'm going to drop the lbs off the rear. Is 105 to high for the fronts. I've heard that tires wear better at a higher lbs.
Here is another good Michelin Video site:
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...r/RvVideos.jsp
Old 11-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff without knowing what your front and rear axle weigh, I'd be wrong to tell you what psi you should have. 105 in the front is "probably" a good air pressure. I believe your coach has a heavier front GAW, than our 2000 which is 10,500.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Tom, Just recieved mail from WRV today on a technical Bulletin for TOYO TIRES. It was dated Dec.1,2004, TSD-04-001. Titled "Tire Inflation: Multipurpose Vehicles" It basically says to follow the Tire Information Placard for tire inflation. I found my placard on the inside of the generator slide next to the fuel fill. On it says the front tires should be inflated to 110 lbs & the rear's to 90 lbs. Hows that for timing
Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #14

My coach had 120 all around when picked up @ factory 8/05. I was told by the CPU crew leader that they were being told by mgmt to inflate to the max pressure molded into the tire sidewall, and it was up to me to settle on lower pressure if I wanted. I dropped to 105F/95R based on nothing more than gut feel. I'll adjust when I get the coach weighed.