Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Jim, I am glad you are happy with the E2's as I am considering them to replace my RY023's. I talked at length to a Michelin engineer at the GEAR rally and he was firmly convinced that RV's should use "regional" tires (E's) and not line haul tires (A's). This somewhat contradicts what the RV guide on the Michelin website says as it recommends several A's for RV use. It also does not list the XZE2 as recommended for RV's. When I called Michelin they said that was a mistake and the E2 is definitely recommended for RV's. My point here is that just because the Michelin website says something does not mean it is true. Glad you are using common sense in your decision process.
You may be interested to know that Europe has had the XZE2+ tire for a while and the US will shortly be getting the XZE3. May be worth waiting to buy your next set.
Which XZE 3 tire are you referring to? The X One XZE3 has been on the US market for several years. I thought about changing to them in 2010 when I replaced our tires.
The XZE 3+ Evertread has been listed on the website for some time too although it could be like Continental listing a 305/70 tire but it wasn't available yet.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
The response for Michelin doesn't even mention warranty, just that you could go 10 years. Michelin is done at 5 years from date of purchase.

Just to be clear as I posted straight from the warranty manual

The warranty for CONSUMER USE is 5 years from date of purchase. This means motor homes

The warranty for long haul with certain Michelin tires is 7 years/700k and up to 3 retreads. Otherwise NOT consumer use.

TD

Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #31

Quote:
You may be interested to know that Europe has had the XZE2+ tire for a while and the US will shortly be getting the XZE3. May be worth waiting to buy your next set.
I just bought my tires in January, so I am set for 5 years. Maybe they will have XZE4's by then!

I forgot to mention the tire size. My coach came with the 11R22.5 H rated tires, and that is what I had put on. I had them installed by Pete's in Corona.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Which XZE 3 tire are you referring to? The X One XZE3 has been on the US market for several years. I thought about changing to them in 2010 when I replaced our tires.
The XZE 3+ Evertread has been listed on the website for some time too although it could be like Continental listing a 305/70 tire but it wasn't available yet.
The FMCA has them listed on the new price list but Michelin told me they are still in "build" and not available yet.
I don't see the XZE3+ on their website only the XZA3+, where are you looking?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The FMCA has them listed on the new price list but Michelin told me they are still in "build" and not available yet.
I don't see the XZE3+ on their website only the XZA3+, where are you looking?
OOPS!! I must have mistyped the name in, I don't see the XZE3+.
I was looking here: Michelin Americas Truck All Tires Page
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #34

I am shopping for tires for my 08 Alpine and when I spoke to a dealer I asked about the age of the tires I would be getting and he stated that he has no control over that and as long as they are less than 2 years old I am stuck with them. I called Michelin and they confirmed this. Has anyone out there had a problem of not getting fresh dates on the tires they received thru the FMCA program?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
The Les Schwab dealer in Junction City, OR, get weekly delivers of tires from Michelin, so my guess is the date codes are within 6 months of manufacturer. You can always insist that they inspect the tires first and you want date codes within 3 months of installation date, don't know that you will get it, but you might.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #36

If a "dealer" can't get you tires that are less than 6 month old--find a new dealer. If they tell you they cant ensure getting anything less than two years--they are simply clearing their old stock at your expense. Leave, leave now!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #37

You are the customer so you are in control. Check the date on the tire and if it is too old walk away. I have talked to several dealers and they are all prepared to order new tires for me that would have a DOM within 3 months. The FMCA program comment is irrelevant.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #38

I started this whole question and answer session and thank all of you for your inputs. I just got my new Michelins yesterday as I had to wait 3 weeks as my size was back ordered. They came in dated 2213 which means they were made the 22nd week of 2013. So, having a dealer tell you that you may have (2) year old stock, I agree with Old Scout Leave and Leave now. Although I haven't had a chance to really check out how great they are on my coach I do know it handles better. I had new shocks installed (Koni), new tires mounted and balanced, and front end alignment. Costly but so was my home. I had outstanding service from TCI Tire Center #872 in Lakeside, CA. They have a huge facility and are all setup to handle big rigs. I highly recommend them. (Laszio and /or Tom.619-596-8473) I used the FMCA program and the tires were $638.53 each with a retail price listed at $777.43. Paid for my FMCA membership for many years.

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex 40FD
2007 CRV
Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #39

Tire Choiice

Joe, I have a 2006 APEX that is presently at Redlands Truck and RV for the first service since I purchased the coach in June. The existing tires are 7 years old and only have 13,000 miles on them. They look great to me.
However, I am being told that their age is a major factor to consider. So, I'm checking out new tires also. The present tires are Goodyear and they have been good for a number of years. I had Michelins on my last coach--also a 2006 and they weathered poorly and were "worn-out" with only 30,000 miles. The heat here in Palm Springs is a major concern for me on making selections for the coach, so may of the comments made to your thread are worth hearing. I would like to know what final decision you make and where you purchase the tires.
Thanks, Roger Allen
2006 APEX
Palm Springs, CA
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #40

Roger:

I am leaving on a 6 weeks trip this AM so by the time I get back I should know how great the new tires are. This was previously published:I had outstanding service from TCI Tire Center #872 in Lakeside, CA. They have a huge facility and are all setup to handle big rigs. I highly recommend them. (Laszio and /or Tom.619-596-8473) I used the FMCA program and the tires were $638.53 each with a retail price listed at $777.43. Paid for my FMCA membership for many years.

Joe Brunold
Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
But those sales and environmental taxes in CA are a Killer, OR no sales tax. I have service in Coburg, so Junction City, is a hop, skip and small jump have already setup the appointment for new ones on Wednesday next week.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
I have not heard anyone mention rotating tires. The folks at Cummins NW had never heard of it, but those at Goodyear (truck tires) recommended rotation every 15,000 miles.

2005 WRV 36 MDDS
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Tags
tires