Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #43

The only thing you can do practically is swap tires from one side to the other. But unless you plan on driving 100,000 miles on them it is still not worth the trouble. Even trucks don't rotate because they use drive tires on the rear axle and steer tires on the front axle.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
The only time you need to rotate is if you have irregular wear. The only way you might be able to correct irregular west is moving the 2 fronts to the right rear. Unfortunately that requires dismounting some tires. Be sure to reverse the front tires direction of rotation.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #45

Monty:
That's the price I have to pay for living in an area of the best climate in the US.
Joe Bunold
Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
All - Yesterday I had all 6 tires replaced under the FMCA Michelin Tire advantage program. I used the Les Schwab in Junction City, OR. I arrived at 1:30PM and I was out of there by 4:30 or so. I HAD Goodyear G670's and I never had a problem with them, except they got old, as did I. The new tires are great, coach does not pull, handles better in Wind, and the road noise is much less now than before. I tend to over steer because those new tires track straight. I like them much better than the Goodyear's, and their was nothing wrong with them. I have not received the final bill yet, so I don't know the whole costs, but I had new tire sensors (Bendix purchased company so parts are available) and they were spendy along with the mounting and balancing process. So I can recommend the dealer and the Michelin tires for sure.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #47

Hi

I don't want to put a fly in the Michelin ointment BUT I had Michelin LTXs on my Class C motorhome and they had sidewall cracks and checking after only 2 years. They got worse over the next couple of years. Granted they are a different type of tire not used on DPs but I have seen other complaints elsewhere on the irv2 forum concerning Michelin tires (XRVs).We sold the motorhome and now have our Alpine that have newer Toyos but the time will come soon to change and I don't want to spend all that money and have the same cracking and checking after only 2 years.

Geoff
Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #48

Alpine Owners Club
That is what a warranty is for. If they crack, they are going back for new ones, and if you did not do that, you should have.

Michelin has been on my cars for years, and I have never had an issue with them, they just work good for me.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #49

Hi Old Rv'er

When I first saw the checking (it was more checking than cracking) I asked at a tire dealer if that would be on warranty. I was told that Michelin does not consider checking as an issue that affects the integrity of the tire. I have seen this checking on several other Ford E450 chassises so my case is not alone. When I decided to sell the RV I went to another tire dealer for a quote. I said that I was not happy with the way my tires had worn. He said that was a common problem with that model and that Michelin had introduced a replacement (I don't know the model) claiming to have corrected this. The guy said that the new tire had not been on the market long enough for him to assess whether or not the problem has indeed been fixed.

My Toyos still have about 2 years left on them before I need to replace them. If in that time your new Michelins develop any checking or other problems please let us know.

Geoff
Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SDPilot
Tires

Just had new rear tires installed on by '99 coach at TCI in Lakeside, CA. Excellent and friendly service. Was in and out in less than two hours. Their facility is set up for large trucks, so had no problems driving into their drive through service bay. Using the FMCA program, got my tires for less than their cost. Easily worth the annual cost.

Very happy to recommend them.

Tags
tires