Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #15

Maybe this doesn't apply to the tire size you are discussing here, but as I wrote on another thread, tire weight is a big factor for my choice in the 235-245 22.5 in size. The OEM Michelin XRV is designed exclusively for RV, not truck, duty. With less tread depth and more flexible sidewall, it is 10 to 15 pounds per tire LESS than other brands which are pure commercial-duty truck tires. Since the Michelins have been fine and have lots of tread left at 7 years, other than moderate sidewall cracking, I am staying with them even at $500 more for 6. Weight, ride, handling, and experience won over price for me. As I said, this may not be applicable for larger sizes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
OS - Me thinks 95 psi is too low. I try to run at 120PSI which is the max rating the tire can hold and I don't show any issues like you are talking about. Increase the A/P and see if the problem goes away. I am close to GVWR, but not over it, around 200 pounds short of it, based on DOT scales. I need to redistribute the load in the coach, and are working on new jack pads and ramps so I can pull out all that wood I carry, figure I can save 100 pounds with that removal.

FWIW - In the Michelin tire guide, they say it's ok to keep their tires in service for 10 years, but after the 5 year point, they need to be inspected by one of their tire centers so you know it's still a good tire. If the company says 10 years, that a good goal for me if I had Michelins. They also say not to use any kind of tire dressing as it can cause the rubber to deteriorate over time. They make tire care products for those tires so itís assumed it is approved for them.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #17

Old Scout -- I was talking about 295/80's in Bridgestone R260's vs the same size in Goodyear GS670. Last I looked load rating was the same but the tread depth was 3/32" deeper on the Bridgestones, but this may have changed in the last 6 months since I looked.

ORVR:
Or coach is 30,000 lbs since it's only a 36 and it only needs about 90-95 psi in the front and 75-80 psi in the rear to carry the load on these Bridgestones. I normally run 100 in the front and 90 in the rear, and after nearly 20,000 miles on them I don't have any river wear on the front tires. On the old Toyo 11R 22.5's I ran 120 psi front and 110 rear as WRV told us to do with that tire, and I had river wear starting at about 10,000 miles and a very rough ride. With the BS 260's I have a soft, smooth ride and they're wearing very well. My brother, the truck tire guy, said the Bridgestone will go well over 100,000 miles if I want to run them that far. Probably age out first; and for me that's at about 6 years; all I want to run them. BS also says to not use tire dressings because the UV compounds in the tire need to constantly ooze out to protect the tire. I do use wheel covers on the sunny side of the coach when I have it parked in Palm Springs in the winter.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
I stand corrected. G670's I run 120 all around but we have the APEX and it's 40'. I like michelin's as my next tire, yeah they cost more, but I like them, and the way they have always ridden for us in our cars. In the honda, they were a little noiser than others, but in the rain, they could not be beat.

And brand choice is just that, a choice. I won't fault anyone for the brand they use, nor for the reasons they use them. My goal here is to help, and learn from everyone else how, and why they do this or that. Now ride is affected as much by tire as the brand of shock that is on the coach. I want to change those to Koni's, since it's better than the OEM's and not quite as expensive as the Road Kings. Just have not looked into it yet. Need to put to bed the new window we are having built, the cabinet work we have to get done, and some more reapirs and maintenance before we talk about shocks. Then it's new batteries. I want AGM's, but man they are too pricey for me in the Pacific NW market.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Today I replaced our TOYO, load range H, M120, 11R225's with 2 Michelin XZA3 steering tires and 4 XZE2 11R225's. Mounted, balanced, new stems, FET and NC sales tax, out the door for $3,354 and $450 trade in for the old tires ($100 for each for the rear and $25 each for the 2 front, they have a lot of wear from the 0.2 degree thrust problem (see other thread for details) and dry rot cracking. Snider Tire in Charlotte did the work and although they could not do the repair to the rear axle bushings I would recomend them if you need tires in the South East!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Camping World has a rebate going on with the G670's for a few more days yet.
Up to $60 a tire Hurry!
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Forgot to mention, Snider in charlotte is a HIGH volume dealer on the 11R225's and I got 0911 for date code on all 6 tires.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
So today I took the coach to a truck spring and alignment shop. They did NOT find a thrust problem with the rear axle. They did find a toe problem with the front which they adjusted out, the coach now has a great, straight ride .
They also checked the steering bracket and confirmed what I had been seeing, it is in good shape although there is some rust on the inner surface that indicates it is flexing, however there are no cracks or any indication of excessive stress . I felt even better when they only charged me $95 for a 2 axle alignment (the tech had taken over 2 1/2 hours doing all the preliminary checks and then correcting the toe problem).