Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Tires

I need to replace the original 4 back tires on my 2004 40 ft. Alpine Coach. I've been looking around and one of our local RV repair shops recommended a Sumitomo Tire that runs about $375 mounted and balanced. I would appreciate any feedback about this tire or any other tire. I'm thinking that the original Toyo tires held up pretty well and why not go with the same tire. The front tires were replaced early 2009. I've only owned the coach for the last year. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dan
Dan Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

I've never had anything except Michelin's and they have always lasted longer than the rubber (dry rot). Prices are comparable (you didn't mention size). As far as I'm concerned, go with the best you can afford. The biggest issue today is tire manufacture date. Before the dealer mounts ANY kind of tire, look on the back for the date code. It's 4 digits in a little oval near the bead. It reads wwyy (ww = week of year, yy = last 2 of year). Mine read 4207. That would put them from the end of October in 2007. I bought my coach in January of 2008. If the date code on the new tires are more than a year from install date, I would pass. They've already sat on a shelf for a year and you don't know under what conditions.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dan,
There have been several threads on tires that other Alpine owners have considered/purchased. Just do a search on this forum for threads on tires.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Ad nauseum... (but insightful)......
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I know we are all tired of hearing about tires, and the more threads I read the more confused I get. I have been looking for new tires in North Carolina and have the following quotes (all include mount, balance, stems, tax etc):

Camping World Goodyear (really Kelly's) 11R22.5 Load Range G $2,350
Load Range H $2,450
Local Goodyear dealer G670 295/80R22.5 Load Range H $3,713

Local Michelin dealer XZA2 Energy Load Range H $3,828

So why is there such a difference in the price between the 11R22.5 and the 295/80R22.5, both seem to have almost the same thread depth (or at least close enough that for an RV it will not matter. I'll run out of time before tread, had my coach 5 years and have 33K on it). I do know to be sure that the tires were born within the last 6 months (or less).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I'm happy with my Bridgestone R250 ED tires after 1 year. Cost for 6, installed, balanced, alignment + tax was $2500. These are H rated tires, too. They spec with the Toyo originals very closely. Dealer recommended them over Michelin (which he would have charge $1000 more).
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
Cost for 6, installed, balanced, alignment + tax was $2500. These are H rated tires, too.
Wow on the price! I have two quotes for Bridgestones in size 245/75-22.5G; $2800 and $3100 for 6 complete out the door. Where are people getting these great prices? Not in Denver, that's for sure. I am getting limited selection and higher prices than elsewhere.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
All – The tire prices go up almost daily, why, the price of oil goes up daily. Tires have a large percentage of oil in the mix, plus rubber, and it's been going up as well. Companies have to make a profit, so things are going up. Although our government won't tell you, the inflation rate is around 10% if you kick in the oil, and how that gets diluted through the economy, maybe even higher than that.

Buy those new tires from a reputable dealer, buy the best quality tire you can afford, your life is riding on them. I like Michelins, and have never had a problem with any of those I have owned. They usually last to the mileage rating. Age will kill the tires on the coach long before you wear them out. Some of the worst things you can do to a tire are leave it parked on concrete for extended periods of time, and not keep the air pressure at the correct pressure. Asphalt is not quite as bad, gravel is the best, if it’s a road surface. If it’s outside, on concrete, put it up on wooden boards if its stay is going to be extended.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I was quoted by Camping World $2,350 for 11R225 "G" Goodyears and $2,450 for "H". When I pressed I found out they were actually Kelly's. I have them going back to get me Goodyear G670 and G661 prices .

The local Goodyear truck dealer is quoting $3,000 for G661's, mounted, balanced, new metal stems, tax, etc (the G661's are on sale at $375 each until the end of the month). They have promised me no date code over 6 months old, they are also stating they will look at the old tires and let me know what credit they will give me, it could be up to $65 per tire, depends upon the age and condition.

I have been told that Goodyear has a price increase coming May 1st that agrees with Monty's comment, so if you are thinking of GY's get them locked in NOW.

The local Michelin dealer is quoting $3,793 for two XZA3's and four XZA2's (they promise a 2011 date code) installed, balanced, new stems, tax, etc with up to a $100 per tire credit for the old Toyo's.

All dealers have agreed to mount the tires so the date code is visible and hand torque the wheels.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #10

I just bought Michelin 6 295/80r22.5 and I love them, coach ride is much better than goodyears. Cost me 620.00 ea. balanced and mounted in Washington state and almost same price as goodyear, toyo, bridgestone, etc. much cheaper but the quieter and smoother ride worth the difference. Happy travels
Christopher Cratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
All - Another piece of advice, if you are on the west coast, near Oregon, there is no sales tax in Oregon. SO, you should consider purchasing those new tires in that state, since you won't pay sales tax. There is a tire disposal fee. Les Schwab can get any tire you want, they are located in 11 western states, and have road service if you need them. I don’t work for them; in fact I have never purchased tires from them, as they don't do Michelins. But they have great service bar none, Tire Warehouse also is located in the west has great service, so either one would work. Now with the cost of fuel, it might not be cost effective to come up to OR to get those tires, but with the average sales tax in the range of 8-11% which works out to 240.00 - 330.00 depending on the rate in the state you are in. Food for thought, and if you come up to this neck of the woods, you can attend the Anacondas Rally in the August time frame, unless it's full up, Now how about that for planning? Dr Dave, NC is a tad bit too far unless you are out this way already.

Looking over the Michelin Specs for the tires we should have, the XZA2 Energy tires are the correct load rating for our size (295/80RX22.5) at 7830 lbs single axle & 6940 lbs dual wheel axle. Now to find some pricing, and is it cheaper buying the tire from one place and having someone else mount and balance it? See this link:http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche....do?tread=XZA2 ENERGY

Download the tire guide, it's has a wealth of knowledge in it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #12

Why would anybody buy Goodyear G670's at the same price when Bridgestones are the best tire-- deeper tread, just as high load rating, etc. - look at all the truckers that run them and their value in the used market.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #13

Mixed emotions about the G670s vs Bridgestone. After 40k miles, my G670s started showing a lot of river wear [outside edges]. Tends to look like an under inflation situation but I have always run 95 psi in duals and 110 in fronts--more than adquate by the GY tire guides.

Specification-wise, the are some significant differences between the Bridgestone R11s and the G670s, even when you compare the same load range H. Both are 16 ply but GYs are a lower profile and are nearly an inch wider, hence, max laod cap on the GYs is about 7800 at 125 psi while the BSs are around 6600 at 120 psi--both are adequate for our max axle weight--unless you are grossly overloaded. Check out the BS 260s--they have a unique tread design [sort of like a steer tire] that may help with river wear.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Monty, when I purchased Goodyear tires from Les Schwab in Junction City a couple of years ago Michlelin tires were an option, only more expensive. My brother in-law just bought Michelin tires from them for his Alpine so Les Schwab does carry Michelin RV tires, at least in Junction City. The price in Junction City also will probably be less than other Les Schwab locations due to the volume of RV tires they sell. Doug
Doug & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote