Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Tires over heating

I have new tires on my 06 alpine 40' my tire pressure is good. we were getting tire over heating of 145 to 162 f Do the batteries have any thing to do with this. I did not replace the batteries because I got new tires on the road. Any ideas?
Larry Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are several reason for a hot tire. Underinflation, the ambient air temp, the temp of the road surface, and being in Vegas that shopuld be hot. I have a TPMS and the manual says you don't have to worry up until 175. Are the batteries your talking about in the transmitters of your TPMS sensors?

TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

Who said those temps are overheating?

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I have new tires on my 06 alpine 40' my tire pressure is good. we were getting tire over heating of 145 to 162 f Do the batteries have any thing to do with this. I did not replace the batteries because I got new tires on the road. Any ideas?
145+ degrees in summer weather especially in LV where u live is normal I am not sure why you brought batterys into the equation? batterys for what and why?
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
There are several reason for a hot tire. Underinflation, the ambient air temp, the temp of the road surface, and being in Vegas that shopuld be hot. I have a TPMS and the manual says you don't have to worry up until 175. Are the batteries your talking about in the transmitters of your TPMS sensors?

yes
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
145+ degrees in summer weather especially in LV where u live is normal I am not sure why you brought batterys into the equation? batterys for what and why?

Batteries that send the temp pressure to my on board computer
Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Should I worry if my dash computer lights and says my tire temp is high followed by a red signal. At 145 it shows yellow at 160 it shows red
Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Larry.
Have you verified that your tires are properly inflated? Also have you verified the weight at each wheel position? If you are over weight at any or all wheels this could also cause tires to run hot. Also your speed could impact tire temps. Hope there is something here that helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Larry.
Have you verified that your tires are properly inflated? Also have you verified the weight at each wheel position? If you are over weight at any or all wheels this could also cause tires to run hot. Also your speed could impact tire temps. Hope there is something here that helps.
All above are factors. Black top is hotter than concrete, fresh blacktop is hotter than older blacktop,.......
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are all the tires that hot...160, or just one?

What pressure are they set to?

I check my tire temperatures every time I stop and there are a lot of variables involved....Sun, wind, possible brake dragging, under inflation, ambient temp, etc.

160 is pretty high even if it's hot.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Are all the tires that hot...160, or just one?

What pressure are they set to?

I check my tire temperatures every time I stop and there are a lot of variables involved....Sun, wind, possible brake dragging, under inflation, ambient temp, etc.

160 is pretty high even if it's hot.
what I found on research

A very general rule of thumb is that a properly inflated/loaded tire, when up to operating temperature - one hour or more of operation - will typically run about 60 degrees F hotter than the ambient temperature. Anything above 200 degrees F could lead to tire degradation and you need to investigate for a problem.
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #12

Can replace air with Nitrogen and it will lower tire temps.
Big Foot II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #13

Contact Bob Dickman tire in Junction city, Oregon. They are also the only source for replacement sensors. http://www.dickmantires.com/SmarTire/programrv433.html.

They recommend 198 for the high temp alert. I set my yellow warning at 160 and my red at 180. I rarely see a yellow warning and never a red. When I have I am usually driving on curvy black top roads and the temp outside is above 100. My Inside RH dual and left front tire are the only tires I have seen a yellow warning on. The few time I have, slowing down 5-10 MPH lets them cool down.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #14

Larry, you said your tire pressure is good, but you never said what your psi is?

On my 40' Apex which is heavy and has 295/80/R225 and I run them 120PSI cold. My PSI when warm goes up to about 135.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, tires