Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #1

After reading all of the posts about tires,I finally decided on Michelin XZA2-295-80-22.5. Then I find out that these are backloged until after the first of next year. In talking with the Les Schwab dealer in Yakima I was told that WRV now uses Goodyear 670rv tires. The Goodyear site has no info on the 295-80-22.5 tire so I'm hoping for some input from you tire guys. My plan is to have them installed during Homecoming this year. It seem there is a situation between Toyo and Wrv as regards coach weight and tire certification and, as a consequence, Toyo is no longer manufacturing this size tire.
Any help about the Goodyear tire will be appreciated.
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #2

After reading all of the posts about tires,I finally decided on Michelin XZA2-295-80-22.5. Then I find out that these are backloged until after the first of next year. In talking with the Les Schwab dealer in Yakima I was told that WRV now uses Goodyear 670rv tires. The Goodyear site has no info on the 295-80-22.5 tire so I'm hoping for some input from you tire guys. My plan is to have them installed during Homecoming this year. It seem there is a situation between Toyo and Wrv as regards coach weight and tire certification and, as a consequence, Toyo is no longer manufacturing this size tire.
Any help about the Goodyear tire will be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #3

We just toured the Foretravel Factory in Texas. They have changed to a Goodyear tire made for RV's,(according to the salesman) Said it was a new tire. They use to use Michelin too, maybe the backlog made them change, who knows.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #4

A buddy of mine now owns his second (identical chassis, old had 2 slide, new has 3) Monaco 40'. The new one came w/Goodyear 670 RV tires, and he raves about the difference from the old Goodyear (not "RV") tires. Quieter, good handling, less harsh ride. Supposably made with antioxidants, and anti-ozinants (Vitamin E?) for longevity.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,

What size is on your coach now?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #6

Tom & Patty: Toyo 120z (R11/22.5) Thanks

Old 08-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
295/80R22.5 is a good substitute for the 11R22.5. Goodyear builds a good tire, and there are plenty of service locations for help if needed.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Cris Cross,
I have been reading the tire posts and was wondering why you want and/or need new tires? Even if your 2004 coach was picked up in 2003 the age of the tires is only two years, well within the guide lines for age. I also don't think you have used up the tread life? Do you have the Toyo cupping problem, out of balance cups or some other road hazard? Just curious.
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 08-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #9

D & D Rich:
I probably don't Need new tires but reading all the posts about blowouts has me thinking about an ounce of prevention. I do have the Toyo cupping problem on the front. Probably I could get away with two new front tires but I don't think I would be able to get Toyo 120z's plus I'd be mixing and everything I've read says don't do that. I thought, just for the peace of mind, that I would install Centramatics on 6 new Goodyear 670"s. I appreciate your help and advice.
Thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Chris Cross:

Just to let you and others know, I was told at the Cheyenne, Wy. ACA Rally by WRV that Toyo is no longer going to produce RV Tires and the New <span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Alpine Apex</span> had Goodyear Tires.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Dave Fernandez,
Thanks for the info from Cheyenne ACA rally about Toyo no longer making RV tires. I didn't think any of the Toyo tires were ever RV, but just truck tires for different applications. Does anyone know what make and size tires the factory is installing on current models? And you said "the new Alpine Apex had Goodyear tires." What is an Alpine Apex? New what?
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 08-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #12

I just took the factory tour last week, and they are putting Goodyear tires on the current models. I didn't check the size, but the tour guide said the same size. But the tour guide was the usual "towable" tour guide, so....

The Apex is appearantly the just announced upscale model. The one completed unit is supposedly touring the dealers now.

Jim A
Old 08-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #13

The Alpine Coach Apex is in Garrison ND at the ACA pre-rally this week. I took a personal tour of it today. It is a quad slide 40 with many upgrades in electronics and comfort features. It will be in Minot ND for the FMCA rally next week.

The Apex is equipped with Goodyear 295/80/22.5's

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Re Toyo tires no longer on the new coaches:

I believe what Ron said was that Toyo no longer sells to RV OEM's and that he didn't know why. Presumably you can still buy replacement Toyos if you wish.

We now have nearly 7000 miles on our Toyo 147's with no signs of cupping. But we did learn from RVSEF as we left the FMCA at Minot that our coach front axle weight was over 11000 pounds with half-full tanks and two persons aboard; so keep those front tires fully inflated!

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote