Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
While listening to many people here at the Newport rally I find I need help concerning when to change tires. I have the original Toyo tires on my coach and many say that they should be replaced after 3-4 years regardless of mileage.

Does anyone have any definitive timetable for replacement because of blowouts, storage procedures etc.?
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
While listening to many people here at the Newport rally I find I need help concerning when to change tires. I have the original Toyo tires on my coach and many say that they should be replaced after 3-4 years regardless of mileage.

Does anyone have any definitive timetable for replacement because of blowouts, storage procedures etc.?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

There has beeen some bad talk about Toyo's, but when all Alpines that came from the factory had Toyo's and one failed....it was a Toyo .

I ran mine until 32K and the tires were 6 years old. We never had a problem. I will have to say that the maintenance and visual condition of the tires would be the determining factor. If I ever had one with a nail, or that ran low on air ect, it certainly could have a shorter life expectancy.

The industry standard is to replace tires between 5-6 years. We store ours under cover on gravel. Just don't let the tire sit in a puddle.

I replaced ours with Bridgestone R260's two years ago and now have 54K. They do generate a little noise.

My counselor tells me to say that the above suggestions are JMO
Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
A couple of points: 6-7 years seems to be the accepted norm, provided the tires have never been run at low pressure and the sidewalls are not developing cracks. But that time is from the date of tire manufacture, not coach manufacture.

I put a pair of Toyo M147's on my steering wheels at 30,000 miles in May '05 and they're doing fine - kept inflated to 105 psi, they have a full 16/32 tread left at nearly 66,000 miles. 1/32 of tread wear per 12,000 miles -- gotta drive my coach a lot more if I hope to wear them out before old age gets to them.

BTW, I check my tires by rapping on each one at every rest stop, about every 2 hours, when on the road.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F&D ABQ:
BTW, I check my tires by rapping ... at every rest stop, about every 2 hours, when on the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Frank, maybe we can give you the microphone at the next rally to entertain us with your rapping talent!
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #6

Here is a link to toyo tires they have some good info to answer your questions.
http://www.toyo.com/docs/tirebasics/rvcareanduse.asp

I also recommend checking Michelin and goodyear site for info before buying a replacement. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help any further, Thanks ron Happy RV-ing!!
RVRONINPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
BTW, I check my tires by rapping on each one at every rest stop, about every 2 hours, when on the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen truck drivers do this and wondered what they look/listen for. I'd really like to know.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I can't tell the difference between a b-flat and an f-sharp so I rely on my guage.

Bridgestone is warranted for 6 years from the date of manufacture, Some Michelin used only in long haul are warranted for 7 years from the date of manufacture. Michelin tires used on MH's, RV's are warranted from 5 years date of purchase, if the original purchase reciept is not available, they are warranted from 5 years date of manufacture.

IMHO, greater than 6 years might be outside the usable life. Why take a chance
Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 AM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Personally, I will not run tires longer than 5 years no matter what the "warranty" is. Our first coach was a used, low mileage 40' Beaver Patriot. We had a driver's side front tire blow which gutted the wheel well, damaged the air bag, knocked off the fuel fill hose and drained 25 gallons of fuel on the highway and into the ditch while the steel belt beat against the propane tank. An extra year of use is not worth the risk.

Ladies take note that Sue was driving and handled the situation beautifully.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #10

Basil.my congratulationms to Sue because I am not sure we are as level headed. Thank goodness you both made out well. I believe tires and batteries should be set on a definite time table.mForget how good everything loogs. It is time for replacement.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #11

Seems like 5-6 years from "born-on-date" is the average; but #of miles, storage conditions[direct sunlight], average ambient air temp[storage/driving(ie, Tx Vs Mt),"normal" coach weight, previous mishaps[punctures or running on low pressure; all impact on "age." Think Goodyear website has a good chart on recommended tire pressures and also shows examples of different tire sidewall checking--ie, uv damage.
Following Manufacture's Suggested Presures[cold inflation] seems to make the most sense but even then its amazing how much difference a cold morning makes, or just the differrence between the shady and sunny sides of the coach.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #12

I would very much rely on Tom's suggestions amd thoughts. I believe his tire knowledge is much better than the bulk of us. He has made his living recommending the correct tire for the circmstance.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone tried the new Michelin XoneRV tire to replace the duals on the rear with a single tire? Sounds like a good idea if it is cost effective.
Would there be an improvement in the ride and handling?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #14

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jerry davis:
Has anyone tried the new Michelin XoneRV tire to replace the duals on the rear with a single tire? Sounds like a good idea if it is cost effective.
Would there be an improvement in the ride and handling? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My concern would be finding a replacement on the road. You will be stuck on the side of a road for 2 to 3 days before someone can bring you that tire , it will have to be shipped.Even overnite and it still will take a truck about 2 days minium. I spoke to the UPS shop and they say they are expensive and need special wheels. It is still in the process of rating the tire over the overall cost factor after a year in use.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote