Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #15

WE HAD A DISH UNIT W/DVR (TIVO BY ANY OTHER NAME) AND IT STILL WORKED FINE FOR 27000 MILES TILL WE TRADED OUR OLD COACH. 4000 MI ON THE NEW COACH WITH A NEWER DISH DVR, IT IS PART OF THE DISH RECEIVER, AND THE ONLY PROBLEM IS WE ARE TOO FAR NORTH IN ALASKA TO GET DISH. BUT WE STILL HAVE 20 HOURS STORED ON THE DVR WE CAN WATCH!!!

SULLY
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #16

Danny I've heard with the new DirecTV DVR R-15 Satelite Receiver the two ports that the RG-6 coaxes coming from the dish are closed until the receiver is locked in with the satelite. What did the DTV Technician on the service call tell you and if so, the ports are closed, how do you over-come the problem locking in the satelite with this receiver. JIM
AlpineJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #17

The satellite tech that came out had one week of experience, I knew more than him. I have to user a satellite finder and then turn on the receiver to let it lock on. DirecTv is sending me a new R15 unit. I'm heading for St Louis and will install it there next week. Let you know then if that fixes the problem.

Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #18

Use of a Satellite Finder. Their are probably numerous kinds and types available. What kind or type would you suggest for an inexperience layman.

Jim
AlpineJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #19

I was assuming Danny has the automatic dish that finds the satellite. I have the Kingdome like the one that is the WRV option, although I installed it myself. I am not sure what a satellite finder would be used for in this type of system. It shouldn't be necessary.

Danny:

One thing you might want to double check if the new R15 unit does not fix the problem. The "main" coax output on the dish might need to go to the #1 input on the unit. Once the satellite is locked on, both outputs work the same and feed the DVR, but I got the impression that only the "main" output handled the locating chores. If you put in the R15 after it had already locked on with the old receiver, it would work great until you moved the coach the first time.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #20

I have been using a sat finder from Radio Shack.

Replacing the R-15 made no difference. I'll have to try swapping the feeds tomorrow, never thought of that idea. I have been shopping for a TIVO but I have been told you must have a land line for proper operation.
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #21

That's not exactly true. You don't need a land line to use the DirecTV Tivo. It gets the programming information from the satellite. But it does give you a nagging message every day telling you that you need to make your daily phone call. The messages are easily deleted. As I understand, it is supposed to get the software updates from the satellite as well.

I haven't connected mine to a land line in over 6 months. My only problem is I am not full timing, with the coach in storage for a few weeks at a time. If there is no power to the Tivo when it is time for a software update, it does not get the programming. You then need to make a phone call to Directv to get the programming back. I have had to do that twice. A nuisance, but not a big deal.

You might want to check out the Tivo Community forum. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
Old 07-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #22

I second Sully, we also have the Dishnet 942 and we were out on the road for 6 months and have always had superior service and picture.
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote