Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
I store everything full of fuel. It cuts down on moisture content (which is bad for just about everything from the tank itself to the pumps). Plus, you never know when you may have to make an emergency trip and that's 15 miniutes you've saved.

Norm & Janet

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Well, I never leave it less than half full for longer than a week.

I used to work on a high voltage substation construction crew, our rule of thumb was never have a vehicle fuel tank less than half full, if it was diesel, it was filled up to full every third day, if possible, but was never allowed to sit over a weekend with less than full tanks. Friday afternoon, we always took time to fill all the vehicles with fuel, regardless if we were working that next weekend or not. We might get an emergency call to move, and having the rigs full saved a lot of time, especially when several hundred thousand customers might be without power.

Play it safe, keep it full, new injectors, injection pump, and a new tank will cost thousands to replace if fuel contamination is root cause of failure, not warranted if found to be neglect on owners part. I always fill up just before putting rig away after trip, unless we are leaving again within 7 days and going by my regular fuel stop. In the winter, it's always full period, with stanadyne fuel treatment in the tank.

See this link for more information: http://diesel-fuel-injection.com/buy...dyne-blue.html

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #17
I follow the same exact routine Old Rv'er does. Always have and always will. Good piece of mind is worth alot.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
Ray is right about closed fuel systems, they are only closed for miniscule pressure differentials. If you replace your fuel cap w/a non-breathing cap, you create a vacuum as you drive, eventually starving the engine for fuel (or opening up a new, unplanned, breather to equalize; for some very new systems I'm told if you leave the cap off the ECM will sense this and turn on the Check Engine light.

A good friend had his practically new Mountain Aire parked in a flood zone; muddy water up to his floor. Biggest problem after the cleanup was continuously bad fuel quality- seems there was mud stuck to the roof of the tank that kept his filters clogged. Had to drop, open, steam clean & reinstall the tank. That took less than 1 psi to fill the empty space in the tank with muddy water. Certainly volumetric changes due to diurnal temp cycling will exchange air in the tank.

BTW full tanks will rust less internally than empty ones- good PM for the fuel system.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Appalachian Campers
I don't know if it is a myth or not. I do know that the guy who owned several of the planes I used to fly had a standing rule to top the tanks off for the reason of condensation in the tanks. Many times the fuel truck would be busy when we got in and late so we waited until the next day. I also know that when doing a preflight you would sometimes get a few cc's of water on a plane that had been sitting a few days in the spring and fall. It is sort of unnerving to hear the engine start missing and get very quiet in the cockpit.
I always try to top the MH off out of habit I guess, but this preflight business just reinforced my ritual.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
My vote is with the keep it full group. It's what I have done and will do in the future.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Where we live in No. Calif. our Alpine is our safe haven in case of an earthquake. For this reason we keep all tanks full. Nice to know that we could live for a couple of weeks if our house were severely damaged. Another good reason to keep fuel tanks full.
Jerry and Judy Davis
Fremont, California
05-06 36'FDDS
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #22
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But this year we are facing a declining fuel market and I may be able to save significantly by waiting to fill up when I leave the valley in April </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hope your crystal ball is better than mine. Can I get a little advice on the stock market? Is the potential savings worth the potential risk? I'm with the top-it-off group if for no other reason than mom used to say "it's just as cheap to keep the top half of tank full as the bottom half." Myself, I don't have a clue as what diesel prices will be next April. I'm not real sure what they'll be next week.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote