Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:34 AM   #1

Before I park for the winter in the Rio Grande Valley I always top off the fuel tank. But this year we are facing a declining fuel market and I may be able to save significantly by waiting to fill up when I leave the valley in April. Would I be just as safe to keep 1/4 tank and an additive to contain the moisture or should I fill up and forget about it?

gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:34 AM   #2

Before I park for the winter in the Rio Grande Valley I always top off the fuel tank. But this year we are facing a declining fuel market and I may be able to save significantly by waiting to fill up when I leave the valley in April. Would I be just as safe to keep 1/4 tank and an additive to contain the moisture or should I fill up and forget about it?

gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have always been told not to let a vehicle sit with less than full tanks to minimize condensation inside of the tank.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #4

gmfryer

This article is very good! It backs up an earlier thread on algae growth in fuel. It is http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/e20081011/, (Professional Boatbuilder magazine), click on Oct/Nov.2008 issue, then at the top click on pages, select article: So You Think You Know Diesel. This may convince you to really top off the fuel tank.
Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I go with Jim and Dave, I always fill up before any length of storage. The possible savings in fuel cost is small in comparison to the problems that could arise from contamination.

Dave,

your link didn't work for me.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #6

Ideally, I would like to see our fuel tank filled whenever we return from a trip. It is more important when you live in a damp climate like here in the NW. But given that the local fuel prices running over $.25 higher, I often just wait till we get near lower fuel prices before filling up. Doing this makes it necessary to drain the water out of the water seperator more often.
Engines that run daily, like heavy equipment and OTR truck diesels should have the fuel topped off daily. The engine and injector pump return a lot of heated fuel to the tank. This heated fuel in steel tanks really can creats a moisture problem if the tanks are not topped off daily.
IMHO, a fuel conditioner added on regular basis is a good plan whenever you have to let your MH sit.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #7

Leave it 1/4 full and read this article:
myth

Chris
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #8

My relatives for at least 80 years have been operating farm machinery (tractors, combines, harvesters, etc.) and vehicles that have been primarily run on diesel. I have had a diesel MH for 15 years. Neither my relatives nor I have made certain we fill our tanks up when storing our diesels. They have left tractors and trucks out in the open all winter long (in Missouri...and it is humid there) and have never suffered a problem related to fuel. I park my rv beside my house but live in a dryer climate in coastal So. Cal. and have never had a problem or anything that appears like a problem looming. Maybe we have been lucky or just maybe there is not a lot to be concerned about when leaving a tank unfilled.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #9

Obviously the person who tried to dispell the myth has never lived in Calgary AB. I have seen it go from 40 below F to 40 above F to 40 below F in the matter of 8 hours.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #10

I am one of the believers that does not feel you need to have your fuel tank(s) full. Nonetheless I keep mine that way because it is convenient if we decide to go someplace and not have to think about fuel. I would not leave the tank as low as a quarter tank as you may possibly not be able to start your generator. I would stay with a minimum of a half to 3/4 tank.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have seen it go from 40 below F to 40 above F to 40 below F in the matter of 8 hours.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't matter. Modern fuel systems are closed systems.

Chris
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #12

Roadfrog is right. Modern fuel systems are closed - to exhausted fumes. These automotive fuel systems must be open to incoming air, or pull a vacuum in the tank. It is from this incoming air we introduce water (humidity) to our fuel. Since diesel fuel has a natural affinity to attract moisture, I try to minimize the volume of air space in my fuel tanks during storage.
RE: eliminating water already present in fuel. NEVER use any product designed to agglomerate water into your fuel like gasoline engine formulae products. Even very small amounts of water can destroy injectors, and pumps.

I'm not a gambler, full tanks are the safe bet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
paz

Whether you fill the tank or not, you may want to add some fuel stabilizer if your rig is going to sit more than two months. Add the stabilizer then add some fuel or drive a while to mix well. Be sure to run the genny to get the stabilized fuel into its fuel system, too.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Here in the Florida Panhandle we are proned Hurricanes So I always store short or long term with all appropriate tanks full and ready.