Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 AM   #1

Driving through Phoenix, AZ. the temperature was 108, the dash air needed help so I started the generator and turned on the front air. Within a few minutes the engine maintenance dash light came on. I shut off the gen/set and the light went off. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 AM   #2

Driving through Phoenix, AZ. the temperature was 108, the dash air needed help so I started the generator and turned on the front air. Within a few minutes the engine maintenance dash light came on. I shut off the gen/set and the light went off. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

Old 06-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I have been watching your post because I found it interesting what happen to you. I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses. Guess it's like my post on wind noise around the front door, we must be the only one's with our respective problems. I had never seen the Engine Maintenance' light on my coach. I went and got my WRV owners manual (mostly useless) to see what it said, "Engine Maintenance - This warns the operator of an active component or system fault. The vehicle should be serviced to solve the problem, but the situation is not considered an emergency." What I don't understand is the relationship between the Generator/AC Air Conditioner and the "Engine Maintenance" fault light. Did you only try the AC air the one time?
You might try Mike Glazier at WRV and if he doesn't know the answer ask Mike who the Cummins representative was at the ACA Desert Rat Rally this year. I can't find his card and my mental note is coming up blank. There must be someone that attended the ACA Desert Rat Rally that has the Cummins guys card and phone number. He was with a cummins dealer close to the factory. I watched him program a new 2005 coach so the Jake Brake would work on medium and full with a computer hooked to the engine diagnostic port. He really knew his stuff! If you find out I'd appreciate knowing what you found.

D & D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 06-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #4

.....guessing here:....could the generator be charging your vehicle battery also and causing an over charge condition?...do you have a disconnect switch to seperate the two battery banks and It was linking the coach and vehicle batterys together....when the generator came on line the idiot lite lit up.....indicating an over charge situation.....geofkaye
Old 06-26-2005, 10:10 AM   #5

D & D--I only tried the air one time. Happiness was when the "eng maint." light went out.

Kayrivercity--I'm also guessing on an overcharge condition. I'd met a very nice couple in Pismo Beach last month (Kori & Fred) whho had a similar problem but I don't know how it was resolved. (Fred-can you hear me ?)
I don't have a switch that seperates the house and chassis battery banks. From what I understand, the charge is controlled by a solenoid and there seems to be a substantial nember of problems with it.
I might have to leave well enough alone but we're going to Phoenix in a couple of weeks and I expect it will be over ll0.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:41 AM   #6

Chris:
Read your post regarding "driving through Phoenix" and also the follow-up posts. I have never seen a warning on the driver's dash relating to our gen-set. Because we live in the Calif. Desert we usually run the generator and both roof air-cond units on our 2000 36' FDS Limited to maintain a livable temperature inside the coach. My problem occurs when I am running the main engine and the generator while driving down the road. After doing so for a period of time the HEART monitor panel goes into "FAULT" shutdown mode indicating a battery over charge condition (I think). I figured out that when the gen-set is initially started it also initiates the aux battery charger. With the main engine alternator and the HEART battery charger both running to charge the batteries I believe an over-charge condition is taking place. Please note that I have not yet confirmed this as we have only had the coach a short time. As a short-term fix I learned that if I start the generator and switch off the charger on the HEART control panel the fault condition does not take place. There is supposed to be a way to program the HEART battery charging levels but I haven't figured that out yet and the manual is not totally clear (at least to me).

Heading for Malibu 6/29.

Fred

2000 36' FDS Alpine Limited
Kori & Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:46 AM   #7

Hmmmm. Interesting! We'll keep this in mind, and turn off the AC battery charger when running the genset while the engine is running. Good to be aware of this.

Audrey
Old 06-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #8

Fred-thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try and post the result.