Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Toad Braking System for Alpine

After much research, I purchased a Roadmaster Falcon 2 towbar and baseplate for my 08 Sport Trac. I am researching a braking system for the toad and would like one that is easy to install and transferrable to another toad if the situation arises. I know of the Air Force 1 system and I think it is for diesel coaches only. What braking system are current Alpine owners using?? Recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well as systems that users have had problems with.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sincerely,
Alex
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I use the Roadmaster Even Brake. It cliams to be "transferrable" but not exactly. You have to install a break away switch on the front of the toad and wire it to the reciever inside the toad. You have to wire a 12VDC power source for the receiver inside the toad. And, you have to wire up a brake light switch (or feedback from the toad's brake lights as I did) to enable stop light verification by the receiver when the brake is pushed.

I like the system and it's easy to use once it's wired into the toad. However, I would NOT consider it to be "transferrable" unless you're willing wire additional vehicles as described above.

There is also a Blue Ox Patriot system similar to the Even Brake but I don't have experience with it. I would imagine there's some wiring involved to at least connect a break away switch is required.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Smile

Alex:

I have been using M & G Braking System and it is on the third vehicle it has been a great system. http://www.m-gengineering.com/ I found that once installed it easy to connect to the Motorhome with an Air Line and you are done. It works proportionally all of the time and can be changed of other vehicles if you sell and purchase another.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

Two other braking systems not mentioned yet are the SMI STAY-IN-PLAY (not the same as the SMI AIR FORCE 1) & US Gear Unified Brake. Both of these can be used on MH with a hydraulic brake system. Pricy buggers though!
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

I have a Roadmaster that I have used on three toads, the only thing I do not like is getting the clamp on the brake pedal. I have ordered a RVIbrake because it is smaller than the RoadMaster and supposedly the brake pedal clamp is better, we shall see. It should be here in a week. If it does not work, back it goes.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol pole View Post
I have a Roadmaster that I have used on three toads, the only thing I do not like is getting the clamp on the brake pedal. I have ordered a RVIbrake because it is smaller than the RoadMaster and supposedly the brake pedal clamp is better, we shall see. It should be here in a week. If it does not work, back it goes.
Where did you order the RVIbrake? And, if you don't mind, how much did you pay? I didn't think it was out yet. I'm interested in this since it's much smaller than the other 'box' brake setups.

Thanks,
JohnH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #7

I use the US Gear setup to tow my 2008 Wrangler. I purchased mine about 2 1/2 years ago from Monaco parts when they were selling them delivered for $350, which was one heck of a deal. It seems to work very nice.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #8

I called them @ 1 800 815 2159. They are suppose to be shipping now.
$950.00
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Alex,

Bob is correct the "Even Brake" is transferable however it does involve installing a new break away switch, connection to the toad brake system and power as well as adjusting the EB box to sit properly in the new vehicle. all the propor steps are a one time chore, each time you install the EB system you need to make 2 connections, powerand signal as well as a mechanical connection of the EB unit to the brake pedal. Once it is installed I run a test so installation and test take all of 3 minutes. I moved an EB from a 2005 Honda CRV to a 2008 Saturn Vue so I speak from a moving experience . Once the one time stuff is done done things work fine.

If I remember correctly the M&G system places a boost cylinder in the master cylinder system aand small air tank and compressor, that seemed to me a bit more intrusive than I wanted, however it seems to be the easiest to use.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just have to make up my mind on which to purchase.
Happy camping to all.
Alex
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
US Gear UTB works great. Look at SMI, and M&G also great systems.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
We also use M&G and have transferred it to 3 coaches and 3 toads. You do have to have the components moved from coach to coach and toad to toad, as there is a part that goes in each. If you are mechanically inclined, you can probably move them yourself...Dave Fernandez would be better versed than I on that. My other half is not so inclined, so we pay to have them moved, but it's not a huge job. We feel the M&G system has worked very well for us, and really helps in a panic stop situation.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
US Gear UTB works great. Look at SMI, and M&G also great systems.
X2 on the US Gear. I paid to have it installed so I can't comment on that but it is effortless and troublefree, proportional, etc.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
X3 on US Gear. We use it on two toads. Problem-free....

Tags
toad