Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
A legitimate drawback is a partner who can't/won't wear a helmet cuz of hairdo; too much paperwork if she gets hurt riding w/no helmet.
Got Mary Jo a "bad hair day" hat to solve that one...
Base camping with a motorcycle or scooter is a great way to see the sights. On this trip we stayed outside Estes Park and could not take a motorhome to this vista point.

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Anaheim Hills, CA
Jim&MaryJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
We have towed, a Saturn, then a Chevy Tahoe, and now a Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel. The Tahoe and the pick are easy to hook up and very goo. We really like having our onstar in our GM products.

2005 40FT Alpine FDQS

JimAndLorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #17
In my opinion, I don't pay much attention to the vehicles listed as towable by the manufacturer. I look at the vehicle I want to drive when I arrive and then look to see whether it's towable unmodified, and if not, I go to Remco and see what they have. That's why I tow a Toyota 4Runner because it's what I want to drive. Remco's driveline disconnect has worked fine with 45,000 miles on the 4Runner and another 42,000 miles of towing, and it doesn't violate the factory or the extended warranty.

VW doesn't list the New Beetle as towable, either, but Roadmaster makes tow hooks for it and I've towed our 2002 with manual tranny 35,000 miles and driven it another 32,000 miles, with no problems.

Remco's options really do work and they give you a lot more options on what to tow.
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Everyone: Thanks so much for the wonderful response. I guess I will have to decide whether I really want to keep the Ridgeline and then go from there. I was surprised at Ted's post; I had heard that he towed a NAG instead of a TOAD because it got 50 miles per bale.

2001 Alpine 36 FDDS 350 SeaGreen/Mendocino 74263
Oregon Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
due to the new "stability" systems.
One would think that it would be a matter of pulling a fuse to turn the "stability" system off. Son is a firefighter/paramedic and he says those new fangled things are dangerous at the scene of a accident, when they have not activated. The fireman can be in the vehicle when it activates and one does not know what is going to happen when it activates. They should design a switch to turn it off for towing or accidents!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #20
I did the "No TOAD" thing for a year but always had a nagging concern about getting stuck in a remote area with no alternate transportation. So I bought a Dolley from TedIII, which he used before he got the PT Cruiser. Used it once and decided to get a "Towable".

After looking at everything we finally decided to get a Ford Edge, which is towable without modifications. After losing a bunch of money when trading in the Navigator and spending a few more bucks for the base plate, tow bar and the "Brake in a box", we towed the Edge for over 16,000 miles last year. The Edge was also used for another 8,000 miles on the trips. We experienced no issues whatsoever.

Being a "Buy American" guy, I am very happy with the choice.

And Norm, leave Ted alone!

Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg - 2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
"In God we trust" to preserve our country and bring our Troops safely home.
Carry on, regardless..................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote