Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I was astonished to find out from Honda the other day that the only new Hondas now OK to tow 4down are the Fit and the CRV-- even if it has a manual transmission-- due to the new "stability" systems. Is it possible that within this great Alpine community there is someone that dares to tour without a vehicle in tow and does that work? Or is there an obscure Federal law that requires a TOAD?

I have seen scooters bungee-strapped to the back of an Alpine at Camp WRV (when there was a WRV-- remember those days?) but is that a realistic solution? Or is it TOAD GO or NO GO?

Just wonderin'
Norm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Come on Norm and jump in there and buy that '07.

We MH'ed for about a year without a toad. We even did Utah, Zion, Bryce, and Arches by MH. Now that we have a toad we wouldn't be without it. Sometimes we only travel 50 miles from home on the weekends, and we still pull the toad. Most of those weekends the toad stays parked. But it is nice to know it is there.

I think a scooter or motorcycle would be fine as long as you didn't want to go to far with a passenger.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A motorcycle or scooter is fun and you can go places a toad cannot, but impractical in the rain or bringing home the groceries, etc.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #4

Motorhome lists ALL of the vehicles that are towable in the January issue. Honda, apparently doesn't want the business. Indiana Journey
Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have this terrible thought of what would happen if I had a tire failure or something happened that caused the MH to be inoperable - and we are on some back road or crossing a desert in Arizona or Nevada. There is no cell service. At least with the towed I can drive to an area with cell phone service or find help someplace.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
So Honda doesn't want business - - there are a lot of others that can be towed 4 down. Unless you are always traveling interstates and then plan to sit in a park and not see anything, get a toad - - you won't regret it.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is wrong with a Fit or a CRV? I have a 2007 Honda CRV and it tows great. Sometimes I wish the max. speed towing was more than 65mph though. I carry 2 folding full size mtn. bikes behind the rear seat. It has an automatic transmission, I believe Subaru must have a manual transmission to be towed. There are a lot of fine vehicles out there to tow.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry: Nothing wrong with the Fit or CRV, its just that my 07 Ridgeline is upset that it can't mate with my yet to be acquired Alpine unless it is carried.. so I was secretly dreaming of pairing an Alpine with the "I am young again.." Civic Sii.

Tom&Patty: The 07 is much too much for me. I have my eye on a cute little 01 filly.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Norm,

Have you contacted Remco? They are under new ownership, but in the past I have always gotten the best info on what can be towed or modified to tow. This includes our Honda that Honda says is not towable.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #10

I've carried 5 bags of groceries home on the Vespa, and coulda carried more. Once carried a 4' aluminum painting platform home from HD on the back; took me a few minutes to get it strapped down, but worked fine. In Mexico, the pizza guys deliver from a box on the back of a moped or small motorbike. In college days I went ~100 miles w/a bicycle on the back of my Honda 100, more than once.

A legitimate drawback is a partner who can't/won't wear a helmet cuz of hairdo; too much paperwork if she gets hurt riding w/no helmet.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Norm,
One way or another, get a toad. We've RV'ed with and without. We've rented a car. We still tow via dolly or 4 down. Guess we've done it every way possible.

The previous post suggesting Remco (go here for their web site) is a good suggestion.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Norm,

We have an '08 Ridgeline, and it would make the perfect tow vehicle. I have heard that some are towing it, or Pilot's, but I never have confirmed it in person. PLUS, I don't want to pay to rebuild a transalxe, rear end, or transmission since Honda doesn't recommend it. And I believe all of those could be destroyed.

Remco doesn't build anything. The only way to safely tow a Ridgeline is on a trailer.

Good luck on your purchase.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
We had a '98 VW Passat we wanted to tow. Called Remco. Not possible to tow 4 down. Sold the Passat. Bought an '05 CRV It does what I got it for, however, for driving, I preffered the Passat. Such is life.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #14

We tow a 06 PT Cruiser w/automatic and use the Remco automatic lubricator to take care of the automatic transmission. We did the same back in the early 80's with a Nissan 240. Works great and they have been around for quite a while. Considerably longer than Alpine.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote