Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #1

Although this may have been discussed at length in the past, I am compelled to ask about which vehicles are towable without modifications.

The available guides are nice but I have found too many discrepancies in them to make a firm decision based solely on them.

As best I know, only the Suzuki Grand Vitara and Jeep offerings make the specific claim the vehicles are towable as equipped from the factory.

Lastly, are the Hundai Santa fe, RAV-4 and the like towable with modification?

My primary consideration is a smaller 4-wheel/all-wheel drive SUV and I'd like advice based on personal experience.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #2

Although this may have been discussed at length in the past, I am compelled to ask about which vehicles are towable without modifications.

The available guides are nice but I have found too many discrepancies in them to make a firm decision based solely on them.

As best I know, only the Suzuki Grand Vitara and Jeep offerings make the specific claim the vehicles are towable as equipped from the factory.

Lastly, are the Hundai Santa fe, RAV-4 and the like towable with modification?

My primary consideration is a smaller 4-wheel/all-wheel drive SUV and I'd like advice based on personal experience.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Subaru Forester 5 speed manual. Put it in neutral, turn the key to acc. and off you go. We have towed our 03 for 30K+. Gets 27mpg.
Brad
Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #4

I have an GMC Envoy 4WD. It has an electronic controlled transmission with a neutral position. The main advantage is that it be shifted to neutral, placed in park, remove the key and lock it up. No fuses to remove, no speed or distance limitations and miles do not accumulate and no lock on the steering wheel. On the scale it is 5000#s. It may seem a bit heavy but frankly I find the performance to be about the same with or without the rig being attached. I live in Southern Oregon and there are mountains in all directions. I have been dragging it around since 2003. Besides it is very comfortable and quiet to drive. I get from 17 to 22 mpg.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chevrolet HHR.

Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
When you say without modification do you include adding the baseplate as a modification?

We have a Subaru Forester - manual transmission. Have almost 20K driving and 20K towing and get almost 30 mpg with it. Did have to have a baseplate installed for the tow bar hookup, but otherwise it is a piece of cake to tow.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a 2006 Honda CRV with AWD. The manual has very clear instructions on the "pre tow" procedure. No modifications were required to the transmission.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We tow an 05 RAV standard trans 2 wheel drive. Nothing is needed to tow from the factory. We just leave in neutral with the key in acc. The owners manual states that it is towable without modification.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #9

Bob
Well, we spent the better part of 3 yrs doing the same thing. We found that the 2006 Chev Trailblazer just required the tow bar/hitch and the brake/electric connection. Just as Lundy stated on his Envoy. Our requirement was to have an automatic transmission and a simple brake system. The M & G system fit the order. It's a plug a play and go thing. No matter what you buy you'll need to secure a tow hitch and hook up electric lights/brakes. Everything Lundy states is true true for the Chev Blazer.
Dave
Dave & Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #10

We tow a 98 Toyota Tacoma PU, key on Acc, manual shift in neutral. Oh, and the brake OFF.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Bob,

We tow a 2005 Honda CRV. It requires no additional anything. Put the tranny in neutral, turn the key to acc. Relesase the parking break. The manuel says limit speed to a max of 65 when towing. I get 25 mpg with every-day driving.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Bob and Peg,

You are obviously looking for an SUV. We don't tow one, but the Suzuki used to require stopping every 500 miles to start the engine. There are a few other models that have this requirement. I think it would be inconvenient to have to stop.....or remember to stop in my case. JMH, drive 800 miles a day when we are making tracks, O.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Bob and Peg,

We have been towing a '05 CR V with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar, Roadmaster Guardian stone shield and an EvenBrake for over 2 years and find it very easy. The tow bar stores on the back of the coach we also got the "Stowaway" mount (holds the Guardian when we are not towing). It takes about 5 minutes to hook/unhook the Toad, install the Evenbrake, put the CR V in neutral, put the key in the Accessory position and go. When we arrive we can take the connection off the or leave it on. When it is off you can not tell there were any modifications to the CR V, just two 1" by 1" mounts in the grille.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #14

Thank you all.

I should have been a bit more specific and stated that I am aware of needing the base plate, which we will do.

My main concern was the driveline thing; lubrication system, disconnect, etc.

To be honest, we are seriously considering the 4WD Suzuki Grand Vitara with automatic trans, in main because they make specific claim of it's towability simply by placing the transfer case in neutral and unlocking the steering column. 4WD is needed because our home is at the top of a mountain, has a long driveway pitched at a 10 degree angle and gets a lot of snow and ice.

Also, more information about tow-bars and braking systems will be greatly appreciated.

Please keep the responses coming; I'm sure they will help with our decision(s).